CC3 - system crash when saving under JPG, PNG, PDF, etc

Maybe this is linked to the size of my map so i'll start by asking if there is a maximum file size we can't go over if we want to export the map under another extension.

My map is 7 mo big and i'm trying to export it in another format with a resolution of 6400x4800. Would that be a problem? The only resolution i was able to export it to so far is 1800x1200. I've tried png, jpg, bmp, pdf. Nothing works.

If i can't export those files in another format, i'm afraid i will have to switch program.

Help would be appreciated in this.

Thanks

Pat

Comments

• I noticed that when attempting to save a map as an image file, my firewall program would pop-up and ask me whether to allow CC3 to perform the action. I would hit yes, and it would routinely crash without saving. However, I tried clicking the 'remember this choice' option and then clicked yes- this still caused CC3 to crash, but when I attempted to save as images afterwards, there was no longer an issue. I don't know if this is related to your problem as you do not make mention of any other software, but if you're experiencing similar things, that may be a solution.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC3 is limited by the amount of memory you have in your computer, so if you're running short on memory, this might cause such problems.

You might be able to work around the problem by saving the map in pieces (The "Rectangular selection" option in the filetype dropdown). If you use the modifiers (on, endpoint, etc), or type in coordinates by hand, you can make sure each piece is precisely the correct area. You'll need some kind of image manipulation software to glue the pieces together afterward though .
  • Hmmm, thanks for the responses.

So far i haven't received messages from windows firewall and the only other firewall is from my router. As for memory usage, well, that's what i wanted to know. Are there documented limitations to the program. My system has 2 gigs of RAM.

I'll continue my research for the source of the problem.

Thanks

Pat
  • If you need an image manipulation program, you could try GIMP. It's the GNU competitor to Photoshop, it's free, and quite good. www.gimp.org
  • Thanks for the tip but if CC3 can't handle large files, i'll simply find a program that can. Going back to Illustrator is not a problem. I'll really miss all the nice features brought by the annuals though. Shaded relied was a dream come true and now and just can't use it cause of transfer limitations.

Life sucks sometimes.

Pat
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    We are looking into using another png libary in order to overcome this restriction, but there are other things with a higher priority.

I've got 2GB, and can get 3000x2000 without much problem. As a matter of interest, why do you need 6000 pixel across images? Are you doing big posters?

Have you tried printing any large vector-only maps?

Other solutions:

You can export to PDF using one of the free PDF print drivers.
    You can export map sections and paste them together. You'd have to type coordinates to ensure each map section is the same size.
    A virtual printer driver. I've found a good one which produces much bigger image, but currently the colours don't match the original. I've contacted them.

I'll post here if I find anything else.
    I've found a way of doing this using PDF Creator, an open source print driver which exports in many formats. I got a 6600 px image from this.

1. In CC3 set Tools >> Options Resolution Divided by to 2.
    2. Print >> Set the printer to PDF Creator.
    3. Click Properties >> Advanced, set the resolution 1200dpi, and the paper size to letter.
    4. Print.
    5. When you see the PDF Creator dialog, click Options and choose PNG, set the resolution to 600 dpi.
    6. Click Save, pull down the file type to be PNG and and type a file name.

It might vary from drawing to drawing and system to system, but it's seems to give good high res results.
    Thanks for the tip Simon. PDF Creator seems to be able to do the job.

Seems that there might be a small bug with the newest version though (The only one I tried). It happily ignored just about everything I entered in it's option dialog, leading to everything being printed in 150dpi no matter what I did. I had to manually edit the windows registry to set these options. The manual tells where to find the entries. (Warning: Do NOT edit the registry unless you know what you are doing. Improper registry editing is a good way of wrecking your windows install)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Monsen's right, the 0.9.6 version (newest) of PDFCreator seems to have a problem with honoring and saving the options. I recommend the 0.9.5 version which works fine for me. It is available here.
  • edited December 2008
    Posted By: Simon RogersWe are looking into using another png libary in order to overcome this restriction, but there are other things with a higher priority.

I've got 2GB, and can get 3000x2000 without much problem. As a matter of interest, why do you need 6000 pixel across images? Are you doing big posters? [Yes, It's a world map of which i'm trying to share the details and for that i need to convert it with a high degree of pixel precision.]

Have you tried printing any large vector-only maps? [No, all the conversions i tried were with sheet effects on.]

Other solutions:

You can export to PDF using one of the free PDF print drivers. [I did try to generate a PDF throught the use of Acrobat PRO. Same crash occurs.]
    You can export map sections and paste them together. You'd have to type coordinates to ensure each map section is the same size. [Not a big fan of this solution.]
    A virtual printer driver. I've found a good one which produces much bigger image, but currently the colours don't match the original. I've contacted them.

I'll post here if I find anything else.
    Thanks for all your efforts. I posted my responses in the quote above.
  • 2 months later
  • Ok,

I've had that isssue before too. How do people build the Earth type sizes at 24,000 x something and then export them?

Maybe this is the dumbest question to ever his the forums, just have to ask again.

If not I'll follow the above suggestions and cut out blocks with the coordinates. With that in mind what are the preferred or usual settings for that to work well? Say what size chunks is what I'm getting at.

Thanks for all the responses here. Didnt take too long of a search to find.
    JJ
  • edited February 2009
    FWIW;

I run cc3 with patch7 on XP sp2, running under vmware server. I have given the VM 3.5G of ram, and can export maps upto 8000x6000. It runs through 17 steps it says in the top red bar, and take like 20 minutes to export, but it does it fine. With only 2 gigs of ram, I was able to do 6000x4500 with (mostly) no issues.

The underlying server has 8gb of ram, and 20gigs of swap space.

the exported jpgs and png usually come out around 25megs in size.
  • 14 days later
  • Hello all,

I've tried more than one method and run into some snags. At your leisure could anyone who knows please help.

What are the steps you can take to save the exact same view each time?
    If I name a view and look at it that does not save to it, it could print a PDF to it but they are way to small. I've tried to add a large paper size for the PDF and that gets messed up too. Id be happy to have multiple page printing to accomodate the scale. With PDF it says how many pixels per inch and starts with 1 to 1000

I see a method where you can save a window and I'm not sure how to type in coordinates nor what coordinates to use. There are a series of 18 numbers, dashes and dots but if I click on that it changes too.

I'm happy to paste the images together each time. That said they need to be saved at the same resolution and same size if it is to look the same after some redraws or updates.

Also I have successfully saved a 6500 x 4000 chunk with effects on. The challenge is that I'd like it to be the same piece each time.

So any sort of tips on how to piece the map together, what recommended chunks to take (and how to type in data points to get the same chunks) and all that I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    JJ
    Posted By: jnmjWhat are the steps you can take to save the exact same view each time?
    Use the "Rectangular selection" option when saving the map as an image file. This will allow you to specify coordinates for the saved image. If you type in the exact same coordinates each time, you will get the exact same view. You can also draw a rectangle around the area you wish to save, and then use the endpoint modifier to select the corners of this rectangle each and every time, without having to type & remember the coordinates. If you place the rectangle on a seperate layer, you can toggle it off and on when you need it.
    We'd be interested in hearing at what export sizes problems start for people. If you have the time, try taking the attached 1000x800 miles map, disbale any effects and try to export it to a 10,000x8,000 pixel png (using "Rectangular section PNG"). If that doesn't work (it works fine for me by the way), reduce the export size by 1,000x800 pixel (9,000x7,200) and so on, until you hit an export size that exports fine.

Post your findings together with your computer's RAM memory and operating system in this thread.

Note that if the display of CC3 doesn't refresh anymore (i.e. the % export is stuck at a certain value) that doesn't mean CC3 has crashed. It's probably still working in the background. Give it a few minutes to see whether the export finishes.
  • I had no problems on my 1 gig memory, Pentium 4 2.4mhz, Vista 32 bit system. From the time I started the save to the end was 8 minutes. It took 24 passes and never once even seemed about to lock up.
  • I had no problems exporting at 10,000 x 8,000 on either of my systems.

Desktop: Athlon 64, 3200+ (2 GHz), 1 gig Ram, Win XP Pro SP3, 24 passes/8 minutes

Laptop: Pentium Dual-Core 1.73 GHz, 1 gig Ram, Win XP Home SP3, 24 passes/6 minutes
    No crash or lockup on either of my systems either:

Desktop: Athlon 64, 3200+ (2 GHz), 2 gig Ram, Win XP Pro SP3
    Laptop: Pentium Dual-Core 2.4 GHz, 3 gig Ram, Win XP Pro SP3

I did try a 12000x9600 export on the laptop, and that caused it to hang indefinitely on pass 7/34 (continuously using 100% of one of my cores)
    Exporting it at 10000x8000 with effects on also seems to be a no-go as well (still on 1/24 after 15 mins).
  • Thank you for your attention to this matter -- I've been experiencing failures attempting to save rectangular PNGs on my CD3 project.

However, my machine (XP Home SP3, 1 Gig Ram, 2.4Ghz P4 CPU) was in fact able to successfully save this test file as a 10,000x8,000 PNG as specified in Ralf's request, in about 10 minutes.
    Thanks, folks. If you can, please test the same with effects turned on.
    I successfully exported the map with effects on @ 10000x8000

The problem for me is that the indicator says that it is on pass 1/24 of the rendering the entire time, which makes it look like the program is hanging, especially since this export takes quite a lot of time (didn't time it, but it was something along close to 30 mins) and nothing seems to happen at all.

I was doing this test on my laptop:
    Laptop: Pentium Dual-Core 2.4 GHz, 3 gig Ram, Win XP Pro SP3
  • With effects on, at 10,000 x 8,000:

Desktop: Athlon 64, 3200+ (2 GHz), 1 gig Ram, Win XP Pro SP3, 24 passes/50 minutes
    NOTE: During my first attempt my antivirus began it's update. The AV update completed normally but CC3 stopped responding and had to be restarted. If I had not been sitting in front of my system I would never have known why CC3 hung up. The second try completed normally with no problems.

Laptop: Pentium Dual-Core 1.73 GHz, 1 gig Ram, Win XP Home SP3, 24 passes/40 minutes
    NOTE: My first two tries came up with the errors: ERROR: Couldn't get pixels with GetDIBits() & ERROR:Couldn't create Bitmap. I restarted my system and had no problems exporting on my third attempt.
    As an additional note, my system limit for my laptop (see specs above) seems to be 12000x9600. At that resolution, the CC3 process consumes 1.2 GB of RAM while working. The next step above, and I get the GetDIBits() error, and anything above that, CC3 just crashes outright (The process dies).
  • No problems with this file at the max resolution without effects, although it took about 10 minutes.

With effects on, however, it took about 40 minutes to export the file at max resolution. My system is XP Media Center w/ SP3, 2.80 GHz Pentium, 3 GB of RAM. No errors, just a very long time to render.
  • With effects on, saving the .PNG at 10000x8000 and compression set to "Fast", it took 40 minutes to render but it did so without an error of any sort. I am running on an Intel Pentium 4E 3.20GHz (single core processor) running at 3.60 GHz, 2 gigs of RAM (running at full FSB speed), with Windows XP SP3 as my OS. I use a 3.5 GB permanent (static) swapfile.

FYI, according to Task Manager, my CPU utilization maxed at 50% usage for CC3, while my RAM usage never moved beyond 866 MB. Also, my swapfile usage remained at 1.5 GB total, during the rendering process.
    Thanks folks. It looks like most users are running into the "long rendering time" issue, before there are any chances of an actual crash. The fact that the display tends to lock up makes it worse, as you can't see progress anymore. We'll look into adding a warning message when doing exports at a larger size and - if possible - fixing the display lock up.
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited March 2009
    Mine crashed immediately (Pass 1/23): exporting rectangular PNG 10000x8000, no effects. Core 2 CPU 2.13 gmhz, 3 GB of RAM. Error: Couldn't get Pixels with GetDIBits(). Windows XP Home Edition SP 3. Task Manager tells me I had 2 GB memory free before starting CC3.

I had to drop to 4,000x3,200 pixels for the export to work.
  • 15 days later
  • I'm getting a crash to desktop the instant I click save, whether I am saving as a rectangular section or the whole image. I've turned off sheets, and even lowered resolution as far as 100x200 with JPEG quality set at 50%.

It'll save maps fine as FCWs but not anything else.

2.2 GHz AMD processor with 6 GB of RAM, Vista SP 1.
  • yes same issue here cant save BMP JPG or PNG