Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2015 edited

This simple map is the start of an arcology dungeon. I will be reading B4 The Lost City, altering it extensively, and putting it into this mountain. The arcology mountain is 8 miles wide, and 3 miles tall. Underground it goes down several levels. I did have it as 48 miles wide and 37 miles high... I must have been tired when I came up with those dimensions, reduced them.

I was reading on a D&D forum about this module, and the major complaint was that the different groups are too close together to be believable.

So I'm going to move them around, add additional rooms, a few waterfalls, lakes, etc. Add additional groups, etc.

The different color mountains have to do with Portals I'm adding into my game world. Only 5 of the long distance ones for an enire game planet, hard to find, etc.

The Lost Arcology

Here is the starting map. ( Updated with added text on April 3, 2016). The green is green sand with some sand grass. Not a green water area as it appears to be.
      surface01sm.png
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2015

Very nice idea; I'll be interested to see what happens with this map.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2015

Thanks ! I have been thinking about using geomorph type maps to connect the different areas.

Next I'll be looking at Perspectives and making the Portals. Gate has a different meaning in AD&D than 'teleport to a different location'.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2015 edited

tentative portal area to go to the arcology. I wanted to use a plain wall, with some items to put on it... like sparles from crystals. But I haven't figured out a way to do that so far. Yes, there are some traps there.
      portal01asm.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2015 edited

A close up of the area. Huge skeleton in Dead Lake.

Note the ruins near the arcology. Construction workers homes perhaps ? Maybe the huge skeleton was Something that ate the village, and the villagers fled into the arcology ? Only time will tell.
      surface02sm.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015 edited

And here are two portals, Type A and Type B. I made them with Perspectives. Yes, some of the things in the maps are traps. Only one true portal.
      close_up_portal01b.png
      close_up_portal02bb.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015 edited

A very preliminary map for one of the arcology dungeon areas. Done in CC3+.
      area01_11sm.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2015 edited

Does this look any better ?

Upper left corner is two water barrels next to a stairs. With wicker basquets on the floor below the top step's dropoff.

(Oops. corrected. )
    The upper right is a temple with a waiting room.

Bottom left, 3 statues... I like to put things in to puzzle the players.
      area01_15sm.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2015

Personally, I prefer the clean, classic look of your preliminary version, but they both look fine to me.

Good luck on your latest ambitious project! I look forward to watching it progress.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thanks. I will also be working offline on getting in shape to go hiking.

I'm mainly looking at different areas to have different flooring and different basic looks. The floor plans so far are me trying out various looks. I have only decided on the large map and the portals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

I'm always blown away by the scale of your projects. I can't even finish mapping a small dungeon!

Good luck on getting in shape, too. Hiking is a great activity to aim for — fresh air, good exercise, and great scenery (plus the sounds and scents of the outdoors, which people tend to overlook).

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015 edited

My Starship Wanderer is a project I'll never finish... its miles long and miles tall. And miles across. Not to mention a few lakes and other recreation areas...

my Traveller site left end of second menu, look for Starship Wanderer.
      starship.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015 edited

Back to the subject at hand.

The B4 scenario is a dead city, a step pyramid, and sand. With room and passageways under and inside the pyramid. I'm changing it to sand under the grass near the ruined city and a step pyramid made of huge stone blocks.

Correction. Moldy area, not a grassy area.
      closeup_pyramimd_city01sm.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015

The steps on that pyramid just begs for some edge bevels and short shadows, will drastically improve the 3D-look of it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Couldn't find any way to make drifting sand either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

For the sand, what about, varicolor hills? If necessary, you could even play with scaling the independent XY dimensions to make them thinner.

~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Well, I do have files of bitmap fills. I could put various of those on the pyramid.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2016 edited

Somewhat updated pyramid... used CSUAC overhead shrubbery and some creeper vines, along with a few clouds from another Annual. Haven't had time to sit down and do as you suggested Monsen.

Oh, the broken walls are dashed lines with enough width for a bitmap fill to show.

And it will be a half-mile above the surface of the land. I'm not about to draw a 3 mile high pyramid...
      closeup_pyramimd_city01sm.png
    I love the clouds. :-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2016

Another preliminary map of the pyramid interior. Sand, debris, fake pits ( that lead down to the next level), an up stair that leads nowhere, unlit campfire, a skeleton, etc. This is of the top most level, level 11. Lots of secret doors.
      lev11_01sm.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2016 edited

Area 2, the top map with the 3 statues, will be Area 5. I'm thinking about making generic maps... and then running it on the fly. Fewer maps that way... but there is no challenge in that. So I just might make detailed maps. I'll decide later.

Area 2 on my site, some additional text

Area 5, some additional text
      area02.PNG
      area05sm.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2016

• CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016

Jim sneaks in, posts a new portal pic, and dances back out. This was done in CC3+ Perspectives.
      portal01_0009sm.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016

What are those surfaces in multiple shades of blue (on the floor and on the wall by the corner) representing? I notice they use the same paving overlay as the floor.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Posted By: Monsensurfaces in multiple shades of blue

They look lovely, whatever they are. My thought is a mirror and a pool, or (bearing in mind the title of the map) portal's of some kind? :-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I used one of the HighSpace bitmap fills. They are mostly there to freak out the players who might think I have come up with a new slime, etc. for their characters to cope with. Its basically a trap.

The open door is the portal, and one of the levers to the left of it might be helpful.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ah well. There you go. I would have ignored the actual portal and fallen straight into the trap. lol
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The floating axe is also a trap. Its all pretty much a trap, except for the open portal.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Lol.

I've decided my tendency to ignore the ordinary, coupled with my jay-like attraction to pretty blue colours is definitely a health risk!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016 edited

here is an outside and inside top view of the arcology pyramid. Done in CC3 as I haven't had time to work with CC3+ much.

I really need to spend as much time on Perspective mapping as I do on overland, that way I could turn out better perspectives maps. i.e. these are subject to change.
      side_toplev01b.png
      inside_toplev01bb.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016

Intriguing, but what do the numbers represent?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Details for the adventure.

Arcology
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I checked it out, JimP. Its all looking really good, but sadly I'm rather tired at the moment (its 1.30 am here), so I haven't really taken much in right now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I understand, I have to watch my late nights to. No more all nighters for me. 9 PM is best I can do most nights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016

I really like that yellow dome. That came out nicely.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Sorry, I didn't draw it, its a symbol. p-Dome a 26x19 CC3, Perspectives, Statues, Temples, and Idols.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

LOL! Oh well.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016 edited

Here is part 3 of inside of level 2 of the arcology.

The correct colors are displayed. My regular players, upon seeing yellow or green objects in a dungeon would go on alert or panic. I've done things in dungeons like this as I think its funny, but my players find it scary due to its not in the books.

The E connects to part 2 of level 2 of the arcology, the numbers are room numbers. Three secret doors and areas are also here.

This map was made with Annual 66 Isometric Dungeons. I think tieing in the path of the levels using this mapping method is going to be a pain. I'm sure I'll think of something.
      insidetop_lev023b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

This one is altogether more interesting than the rest. I think that's because everything is large enough for my bifocals to cope with seeing all the details properly. I like it a lot. lol!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

"the books" ?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons books. I tend to do odd things, I try to not be predictable not 'standard Middle Ages'.

Oh, the low walls are just for visibility, they otherwise go up to the ceiling.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016 edited

Here are the other two. The stairs by the number 2, is the down path from the top level of the pyramid
      insidetop_lev021b.png
      insidetop_lev022b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016 edited

The rest of this level. Probably larger than the exterior building, but I'm not letting that get in my way of drawing these dungeon maps. :-) I'll just say, maybe large on the inside than the outside... :-)
      insidetop_lev024b.png
      insidetop_lev025b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016

And the final bit. The small sections below the main floor, with one exception, doesn't have a way to walk down to them. Lots of walls left out for clarity.
      insidetop_lev026b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

These are getting better and better all the time, Jim. I much prefer this 'natural stone' feel to the maps.

I think it may be my glasses, but I'm suffering something of an optical illusion with the last of these images, in that the piece of floor with number 23 on it seems to be resting on the piece of floor with the 26 on it.

I wouldn't know where to start with perspectives, however, so I can't really say if that's right or wrong.

They are a huge improvement, though :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The 26 floor is indeed under the 23 floor. There are holes in the 23 floor.

This is from the Isometric dungeon Annual issue 66.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016 edited

New outer top part of the arcology. Some CC3 symbols used as they aren't in CC3+ yet.
      side_toplev01b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016

Oh yes, much better again :) I'm getting better at this now I know to avoid pretty blue things at all costs! Is that yellow door a trap?

I notice you have a lot of floating steps in this game. Are you going to draw triangular filled polygons alongside them on this side to create a solid base for them, or is the floating step thing part of the game?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

No symbols to fill the areas in with... so the steps are not floating. I'll look into adding fills on the side.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Or you could just put a block under the top one to fill it in?