Username
Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Are there steampunk resources for CC3+?

We've had several discussions on the Forum here (and these have happened elsewhere too) over recent years as to exactly what this or that RPG/fiction genre term actually means - including Steampunk, Grimdark and Cyberpunk. The problem with all these is they mean different things to different people, which can be tied sometimes to what they are taken to mean by specific RPG systems. This makes it hard to say what assets a given person might consider satisfactory, aside from this also depending on what scale of mapping is intended - whole country/region (what we often call overland in CC3+ discussions), entire settlement (CC3+ "Cities"), or individual buildings ("Dungeons"), for example - and what the map is going to be used for (an individual building map might be used as a tabletop battlemap for miniature figures to move and act across, say).

Some kind of loosely 19th-century or "Victorian" mapping options might be easier to find, though there isn't a standard set of options even looking there, as most 19th century real-world styles started out in the previous century, and their 19th-century developments carried through into the first third or half of the 20th in different places. In terms of CC3+ assets, there are overland styles such as the late-18th century Ferraris Style from the February 2020 Annual, which general look of maps was still being used in places into the early 20th century, and some elements still feature in maps today. It works well for local areas/small regions and settlements. The August 2009 Annual covered Napoleonic battle maps, again suitable for relatively smaller areas, and a style used from the late 18th through to the early 20th centuries.

The Early Modern Cities style in the 2007 September Annual will fit with some later 19th-century city maps. For 18th-early 19th century sailing ships, try the March 2009 Annual, updated with additions in April this year. Although strip maps (May 2009 Annual) were a 17th-century development that was a method still being used well into the mid-late 19th, showing details just along and near a specific roadway.

These are only a few examples that come readily to my mind. I'd recommend taking a look at this Forum topic, which shows thumbnails from every Annual issue, and gives a simple guide to the general style presented in each issue, with a link to the PF website where you can find more information, including examples of the style in use.

@JulianDracos makes a good point regarding the vagueness of the genre, in common with what I've noted here. RPGs such as Castle Falkenstein and Space 1889, and also Cthulhu By Gaslight, which to me would fall into the loose Steampunk genre, tended to prefer clear, black-and-white line-drawing styles for their maps, sometimes with straightforward simple colours used to highlight particular things, which also seems comparable to how many 19th century maps come across to me.

Loopysue
  • Wishlist for CC4

@Glitch - Something else you might try is having a second window with another program (such as Windows Explorer) on full screen mode, so it hides the CC3+ window completely. This helps stop the looping as much, and you can check the thumbnail view to see when the CC3+ screen is showing correctly again. I spotted Ralf did exactly this on this week's livestream at one point, so I know it's not just me who finds this helps sometimes!

GlitchLoopysueWeathermanSweden
  • Marine Dungeon - further developments

And tides are not all the same either, so you tend to have a "highest recent" tide line of dead/stranded weed, shells, etc., which is often dry and/or rotting, and then the "latest" high tide line nearer the sea than that "highest" line. All that though assumes an Earth-like setting, which doesn't necessarily apply to all fantasy worlds.

Meanwhile, Atlantis, here we come!

JimPLoopysue
  • Will there be an October Newsletter?

I wasn't really suggesting it was the fault of the English; just commenting on how many different nationalities had decided to call the tenth month "the eighth" 😉

In fact, it goes back way before the Christian Church, to the ancient Romans in the first millennium BCE, and survived as a month name even after the Julian calendar reforms of 46 BCE shifted it to being the tenth, not the eighth, month (by the Julius that was Caesar - hence also "July"), and on to today.

Well...

So far as I recall, the earliest record of the Christmas tree is from the 1520s CE Rhineland, which was of course firmly Christian at the time. There were earlier records of different, much smaller, forms of green vegetation, up to small branch size, being taken to, or into, homes around the Christmas/northern winter solstice period in various parts of Europe long before this, including back into the first millennium BCE. However, this seems to have been a common theme for pagan celebrations at many other times of year as well. Setting Christmas as Dec 25 is definitely recorded only from 354 CE at Rome though. The date was chosen (in preference to others at the time and before, which were usually sometime in the northern spring) apparently because there was indeed a pagan solstice festival for the Roman Sun God on the same date, albeit that was decreed only in 274 CE, and seemingly wasn't a particularly major event. The pagans overall were rather more "distracted" by whatever was the current Roman Emperor's preferred choice of deity. (Pretty much what happened in Britain too during Tudor and Stuart times, but with Protestant or Catholic Church beliefs holding sway, for instance.)

Eggs were one of the foods prohibited by the medieval Christian Church during Lent, in the six weeks before Easter, and while eggs were long a popular symbol of new life and spring-time in general, their attachment to Easter (in various subsequent forms) seems to have come about simply through the Christian Lenten prohibition, rather than because of any pre-existing pagan significance associated with the Easter festival time (mobile anyway, as Easter was and is tied to the timing of the first full Moon after the northern vernal equinox). Eggs were a regular delicacy for those unable to afford meat (i.e. most of the population in Europe) in medieval times, for instance.

[All a bit fresh in mind, as I was looking into European calendar customs in some detail recently, part of something for my latest Community Atlas mapping.]

Just as well this thread was answered a while back, as I've thoroughly hijacked it now - sorry!

LoopysueJimP
  • CA style development - "Darklands City" (issues for September and December 2021)

@JulianDracos noted: ...I am interested in Hobbit house symbols. I have found a way/map style that I can do OK to demonstrate it is a Hobbit style home city, but I do not have anything for the city level view.

SS5 Cities of Schley has a selection of Halfling house options (grassy mounds with round doors and windows), and also Elven treehouses, plus rough-looking Orc buildings. The main CD3 Bitmap B style has a larger range of fantasy building options as well, including for Halflings (houses and grassy mounds) and Elven treehouses again, as do the main CD3 vector styles, so there are options there without needing to go down the Annuals route. And the Annuals, being smaller in size than these main products, do tend to concentrate more on providing the basic styles first.

It is worth noting that you can draw your own house shapes using the CD3 toolset, and give the roofs whatever texture you wish from the range of options you have available. Stacking different shapes on top of one another on different Sheets with variant Effects can also increase the options for how things appear. DIY treehouses by placing a suitably-shaped and textured house in different sized tree and other vegetation symbols, all on separate Sheets, for instance. And things like varicolor wooden roofs can be made to work as market stall awnings with a bit of resizing and choice of suitable colours.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Sue! Can't really add much beyond what's already been suggested above for Darklands Cities II, after all that... 😪

LoopysueJulianDracos