February 5, 1968
Real Name
Kevin
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• [WIP] Greco-Roman Inspired Temple

I will play with the grass scale to see if I can reduce the repetition. It actually started at a higher scale that was t00 close-up for a map of this size (which is 500' x 400'). I am also open to recommendations of other grass fills that you all think would be suitable and less repetitive. Any thoughts?

Any recommendations for other park-related symbols that I could use to fill out the area? More trees, of course, but are there other symbol sets to recommend? I looked for things like park benches and gazebos, but the ones I found were for styles that didn't seem compatible. If I don't own the Annuals with the symbols that people recommend, I can consider purchasing them.

Thank you!

JimP
  • Best ways to use stairs (Mike Schley Dungeon style)

I came up with another idea (though I like the above one and will probably use that for the stairs connecting the second and third floors of the inn).

For a different area altogether, I was looking for spiral staircases that go both up and down. I know I've seen them somewhere in my symbols, and I thought it was maybe in the Bogies Map Objects or Dundjinni Archives. I didn't find that, but I did a pair of straight up-and-down stairs. It looks like a cherry wood, so I changed the floors to cherry as well. They don't quite match, though, so I put the stairs on Floors Raised to give the idea that the landing is a step up. I also had to create a custom symbol of just the landing in order to extend the landing to cover the double doorway. (I could have changed it to a single door, but this allows me to use the same landing symbol on the other side of the room for a small stage used by troubadours and bards to entertain for a few coins.)

I also used the shadow symbol that Sue provided to accentuate the shadows going down to the cellar. It looked fine without it, but I think it looks better with more shadows. The symbol also reverses which of the stairs goes down and up. I could have mirrored it, but it seemed fine as is (and this way the broom closet under the stairs going up is a few feet closer).

JimP
  • [WIP] From Fractal Terrains to Parchment World

The world is very Earth-like, with a circumference of 25,000 miles. I’m out of town without my laptop, just an iPad, so I can do a proper measurement of Lumadair, but I previously calculated that the coastline of Lumadair was a little over 10,000 miles. Here it is on a globe of the full world to put it in perspective.

JimP
  • [WIP] Playing around with Sinister Sewers

On today's Live demo, which was about Sinister Sewers, I asked for recommendations for what to use as a fill style for pure water uncontaminated with sewage (such as water runoff from storm drains). I had been using Effluent 05, but on another Water sheet with a transparency effect. Sue recommended trying one of the Bitmap Solid fill styles.

Here's a practice attempt, with the five effluent fills above and then five on the solid bitmaps below (from Solid 10 Bitmap through Solid 50). The five below are on a Water 2 sheet in case anyone recommends effects different than the regular Water sheet. Right now, I put the same effects on Water 2.

I am leaning towards Solid 40 Bitmap for storm drain runoff (since that water will have dirt and other impurities), and maybe something like Solid 20 Bitmap for pure water (for example, if dwarves are using this technology for a subterranean aqueduct).

Thoughts? (If this is too difficult to see here, I can post it in my Gallery if that has a better resolution.)

JimP
  • [WIP] Playing around with Sinister Sewers

Hmmm, I'm not seeing much of a difference, but there's some glare on my screen at the moment. Here they are:

First Edge Fade off, second one on

First Edge Fade on, second one off

Both Edge Fades off

And here's the FCW file:

JimP
  • [WIP] Combining Sinister Sewers with a Basement Floorplan

You've done a great job keeping things tight and clean, where the walls everywhere are all proportionally distanced from the canals, and so are the pipes. That's the part I'm still trying to get the hang of -- half the time when my connecting wall or pipe turns a corner, it's not the same distance from the canal as it was around the bend. This map is nicely done. Not that it changes anything, but this is meant for a more modern sewer system (judging from the fact that there's a parking lot)? Are the rooms in the upper right with pipes coming from below meant to be bathrooms?

JimP
  • What I've been working on

I love the color you picked for the sea. I personally do not think it needs to be lightened.

Calibre
  • MY MUNDI IS READY!

These are great. I really like how you scaled up the dunes in the Mamede map. It's giving me Lawrence of Arabia vibes!

Ricko Hasche
  • Tutorial - Between hills, rivers and trees

Yes, thank you! I've seen the first one before but it's handy to have the tutorials all in one thread. Much appreciated!

Ricko Hasche
  • floathing Island and Babel Tower style city

Very cool!

fil