Community Atlas - Kentoria - Shoenia

Here is an addition to the Kentoria continent, using Sue's great new Spectrum style.

Not finished yet - text, documentation and other prettying up to do.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue 🖼️ 24 images Cartographer ProFantasy
    Looking good, Quenten :)
  • Oh how beautiful! I really love your maps Quenten, and I'm really happy to see something added to Kentoria.
  • I expect Shessaria will be named somewhere, in return for Quent village
  • If you do then I will be sure to make a map of it (so long as you promise not to make it too big of a city - my laptop struggles so badly with cities).
  • Just a small town of no more that 1,000,000,000 people, I promise.
  • 1,000,000,000 LOL. **Opens map...comes back in a few weeks to see if it's loaded yet**
  • Here is an update, with some text labels.
    You may notice, unusually for me, that they bear uncanny similarities to various mappers' names. This is because I set a challenge to the following to map their namesake for inclusion into the Atlas.

Shessaria (a town of about 2-5000) - Shessar to do.
    Halls of Jimpeezer (dwarf mansions which are NOT ruined) - JimP
    Holy Christina Shrine (temple/monastery complex and site of regular pilgrimages) - Christina Trani (Lorelei)
    Clithgow Light (south-west Lighthouse ?smugglers den) - Clithgow
    Sudanil Island (the largest offshore island with lighthouse and hamlet) - Loopy Sue if/when she has time - a quickie, not a marathon, Sue.
    Wreck of the Ralfshemm (wrecked ship) - Ralf (to encourage you to do a video tutorial on a ship)
    Monseignor (largest city in the region - at least 10,000) - Remy Monsen, to keep him occupied and also distracted from his teaching career.
    Wyvern Citadel (large castle) - Wyvern.
  • Anyone else want a namesake - if so, the price is to do a map, so indicate what sort you would like to do.
    It's a very nice map, Quenten, but unfortunately I have too much to get done to do any actual mapping myself.

Thanks for the island, though - I need somewhere to go where I will be free of the tourists now flooding out my hometown.
  • Wonderful Quenten! I'll make Shessaria next on my mapping to do list. :)
  • Oh this is great!!! I'm super busy right now finishing up the All The Annuals installments and we just had a HUGE dice sale in our shop, but the first map i do that once i am done in a couple of weeks, i'll get to mapping the Holy Shrine :)
  • I have added a city of Quentesco to the map - here is the beginning of the city a la watabou. (yes, the 'lazy man's' city).
  • Still waiting for more takers to add maps to this one, so i can name what they want in their immortal honour.
    Give it time, Quenten! The world has changed and everyone's life is in a state of flux at the moment. With lockdowns ending all over the place people will suddenly have much less time than ever before as they scramble around trying to get new jobs or please anxious bosses with a million hours free overtime to catch up with where they were... but they will come eventually :)
  • edited July 2020
    I'll see if I can squeeeeze it into my busy shed-yule.

edit:

I doubt I can get to it this week; however, I will need the fcw file. Thank you.
  • edited July 2020
    Quentesco finished, but further suggestions/additions very welcome. Several items named in honour of Jerry Thiel, who has given so much to the Community Atlas, but alas, is unable to map now. Love to you, Jerry.
  • edited July 2020
    I have added a few more things, and names. it is now finished, and I will submit it once I have the region finished.

I will now work on Duke Walker's Citadel. What an egotistical mapping journey this is. 3:)
  • i love this....only....i would make the font a bit bigger? Or it's just my old eye - but i'm having to squint to see the names in the city itself
  • I will increase them a bit. Though they do look clear to me, even on this low resolution. And thanks for the critique - it helps me see how others see it.
  • Wyvern Citadel, eh? Well, I can add it to the "to-do" list, but I can't make any promises as to when - or indeed if - this might get done. I am still mapping in the deep ocean off NW Alarius...
  • Please add it to your to-do list, Wyvern, as a when, not an if. I love the detail and thought you give to your maps.
  • edited July 2020
    Here is the final version, now submitted to Remy Monsen
  • MonsenMonsen 🖼️ 44 images Cartographer Administrator
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for submitting this great map, it came out beautiful. I really love this style.

image Shoenia
  • clithgowclithgow Traveler
    Posted By: QuentenHere is an update, with some text labels.
    You may notice, unusually for me, that they bear uncanny similarities to various mappers' names. This is because I set a challenge to the following to map their namesake for inclusion into the Atlas.

Clithgow Light(south-west Lighthouse ?smugglers den) - Clithgow
    OOOOOooooo...I just noticed this. Thanks for including me Quenten. I'll see what I can do!
  • edited July 2020
    Here is, perhaps, the final version of the city of Quentesco.

Do I need to add more? Do I need to label more?

What do you think of the way I have done the contours?
  • I think the contours in the upper right are excellent. I can't really tell if they are in other places. Very 18/19th century looking.
    Contours look fine.
    The paving at the citadel looks weird though. Those tiles look way to large to be actual tiles, and if they are smaller decorations made up to be tiles, it look weird, since it doesn't really align to any features in there.
  • They look a lot smaller to me - perhaps at the resolution on this map, the smaller tiles are not showing.
    Probably. To be honest, I still think it looks pretty bad though. I am pretty sure whoever lived there would have wanted the tiles to align with the actual building. If I was the duke, I would probably have preferred to keep the area grassy, with paths of tiles, and perhaps a smaller tiled area in front of the palace for ceremonies, solider exercises, etc.

I also just noticed that your walls aren't casting shadows.
  • The wall shadows have been fixed, (I noted that too - not sure what happened because they were working earlier); and I like your suggestions about the Duke's Citadel grounds.