A1 Inn and Stable Battlemap

Comments

• Wow, another great map!

Lookit that grid tho ... :)

Ricko Hasche
  • Only criticis is that the stalls for the horses are both too narrow and not long enough. There has to be room for the horses to move around a bit. I have made that mistake myself!

JimPRicko Hasche
  • edited September 2023

Visually I understand your point of view. However, the width of the stable is 3 squares, which obviously represents 15 feet or 4.5 meters approximately and the horse stall is 10x5. For an overnight stay of one or two days, there is more than enough space to put the horses on the roof and give them food and water for those who can pay for the extra service. Unless all the horses on that site are Shire breeds.

For continuous daily stay of the animal (i mean, the horse lives there) - and the animal is "high profile" the recommended is 10x10 or 12x12.

• For what it's worth, it's my understanding that a horse needs approximately 12 ft for a stall.

Ricko Hasche
  • 10x10 or 12x12 for just one horse is five star hotel for horses. Larger than many peasant houses in those old times.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 40 images Cartographer

I guess it depends if they are kept in them permanently or go out to pasture. When I do stables I tend to make them big enough for the horse to basically live in (though not ideal, not everyone has a nice field to let them run around and graze), so mine are larger than any of yours. I go for 15 ft square, but I do love the larger breeds, like Fresian and Shire.

Ricko Hasche
  • I remember one of my maps getting criticism for horse stalls that were 10x10, saying they were too large.🤣 I asked a horse owner friend of mine how big the stable stalls were for their horses and the answer was 10 wide by 12 long. The horses generally don't spend that much time in the stalls, being in the stable enclosed courtyard or in the grazing field most of the time.

As for a 5 wide by 10 long stall, the horse can definitely stay there overnight without issue but the main problem according to my friend is that they have no room to turn around properly.

It's a very beautiful map. Ricko is a talent map maker.

JimPRicko Hasche
  • Of course, the U-turn in this case of 10x5 is possible, although "complicated" depending on the size of the animal... but they are not there on vacation and where they sleep... it is possibly better than most places where travelers sleep in this world of pain and uncertainty.

But, as I said, this is a (temporary) inn stable and not a farm shed - which in this world would surely belong to a noble or high merchant with enough money to build a very large building.... all this to house only 8 animals maximum = 4 rooms of 10x10 on each side + corridor at least 5 feet wide - recommended would be 40x25 minimum space... I see a lot of GP there that most inhabitants of my world... a dirty and miserable medieval would see this stable (ideal) as a nobleman's mansion by his own standards.

JimPLoopysuedagorhir
  • In my mind's eye I see the stable being used for the horses of overnight guests with an outside hitching post in a fenced paddock used for short term visitors. Since horses couldn't easily turn around in a narrow stall they should be backed in and a feed or water bucket hung on the door. (How easy is it to make a horse walk backward?) I still see the Tendril's Oak Inn of Issue 3 of the Cartographer's Annual as the ideal.
    JimPRicko HaschedagorhirLauti