Live Mapping: Monthly Symbols for Mike Schley Overland

Hi Everyone! :D

In this week's Live Mapping session Ralf will present the free monthly symbols by Mike Schley that Profantasy have been releasing since June, by using them in an overland map.

Come along and join in, or watch later :)

WyvernRaikojmabbott[Deleted User]

Comments

• Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor

Missed most of it do we know when it will be posted?

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

You can watch it now.

There seems to be quite a long bit at the front end with nothing happening, but it's right here:

https://youtu.be/Iy0qiNW1lMI?t=291

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Just a general comment about live streams, YouTube always needs to process them after they are done, so it is out of our hands when the video will appear, but usually it will be a couple of hours after the stream ends.

Loopysue
  • 1 month later
  • I got around to watching the episode this week (not live, obviously). A couple of quick things based on the attached pic

1. I really like how my ruined city came out. Its just a ravine/rift symbol on top of a ruined city symbol. Their combo is just perfect
    2. I tried the draw/fill with symbols (exclude areas) tool to put in the jungle around it. Not sure if by design or a bug, but it did not recognize the symbols (the ruin and the mesa) as "excluded areas". Thus it just filled the whole area.
    3. I got around it by drawing an smooth poly around the symbols and used that as the excluder (my made up word). That should help those that want to do this with the rivers as well since the symbols seemed to be really tight to the line (I did try just making wider river lines but it do not help all that much).

Thanks for doing these streams - I feel I have learned a ton about this software over the last year by watching them

LoopysueOwlishlyTabooWyvernroflo1Kambric
  • Might be worth tweaking those two trees on top of the mesa, as if they're actually growing there, they should be in front of the jungle trees behind them, which they currently aren't. Or if they're part of the jungle, their bases need to be behind the mesa instead.

Fine-looking mini-map, regardless! And yes, the livestreams are always worth watching, whether live or VOD later.😊

• I was having difficulty just getting those two trees (I moved some others back). This view is zoomed in, so at a normal view they are not as obvious.

• You should be able to select them if you zoom right-in to just the trees. If you end up with the mesa, or other trees selected as well, you can deselect what you don't want by holding down Ctrl and left-clicking on the items to deselect.