How would I design maps for printing on multiple sheets of paper.

I know that the save as can save in various resolutions and such. So that saving to print on more than one sheet is pretty easy. My question is lets say I'm designing for 3 letter pages by 5 letter pages for a total of 15 sheets of paper as an example. How would I go about designing on the map maker?

Does that mean I include about 15 times as much detail on the map since it's not meant to be digital?

How do I set the symbols to the right size?

Comments

• Open campaign cartographer.

Ctrl-P to print.

Look towards the bottom of the print popup.

Tiling. You can set the number vertical and horizontal.

I have a pdf printer installed on my computer, so I can print to pdf to see how the symbol density will look.

I have the free bullzip pdf printer, there are likely others to use out there.

I have never done this, so I might have missed something.

roflo1
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The amount of detail really depends on how dens you want your printouts to be. Generally, a normal map is normally more than dense enough for multiple sheets, like 1x2 or even 2x2, but when planning for 3x5, then yea, you'll probably want to include some more details, although probably not 15 times as much. Be a bit careful though, the more detail, the longer it will take you to make the map (and the higher the chance you will feel burned out during the process)

For symbol size, that depends on the type of map you are making. For dungeon/city maps, the scale should be 1 no matter the size of the map. But for an overland map of this print size, I might be tempted to set the symbol scale to half the default value (The default value varies with map size, but you can see and set it from Drawing Properties)

I would probably make a few very simple test maps and then print them to pdf as JimP describes just to see if you are happy with the scale. You could even start out with one of the existing example maps and just see how it turns out when you tile them like you want.

roflo1