Symbols In Area using CSUAC symbols

I made a new symbol set of vegetation to use with the Symbols in Area command, selecting specific symbols from the CSUAC vegetation list. When I run the command, however, instead of using a random symbol from the symbols group, it only uses one; it will use any of them however. I do have the "allow random symbol selection from group" option selected.
Why is it only using one symbol?

I

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2020
    Are the symbols actually a valid symbol group? I.e. if you open the same symbol catalog you use for the command in the symbol catalog window, are the symbols grouped there and you have to click the "+" to open the group an see all of them?
    Remember that CC3+ groups symbols by name, you cannot create arbitrary groups.
  • IthrilIthril Traveler
    edited May 2020
    I'm not certain I understand your question. I used the instructions for creating a new symbol catalog from the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, pgs 79&80. I can open the catalog, and use symbols from it in the map, just like any other catalog.

I
    Yes, but a working symbol catalog isn't the same as a symbol group (also known as a collection). A collection is a subdivision within a catalog. Look at the Sea monster illustrations as the bottom of page 92 of the ToUM. It shows how a symbol that is part of a collection will appear in the the symbol catalog window.

The description on the bottom of page 97 about collections explains the limitations and setup of colelctions.
  • IthrilIthril Traveler
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for the quick reply
    Welll, it has both a symbol folder, and a corresponding .FSC file. I can select the .FSC file, and the symbols appear in the symbol catalog window.
    My tome of Ultimate Mapping is 03/01/01. At the bottom of pg 92 is an illustration for applying gradients to a symbol with a sample of a large 'X' in a box.

(edit to add:
    I found the section you meant though)

I
  • IthrilIthril Traveler
    edited May 2020
    So I tried to use one of the installed symbol catalogs from the CSUAC collection, and it does the same thing. I tried to follow the instructions in the ToUM, but it didn't change anything. I'm lost & confused.

I
    edited May 2020
    Yes, but as I said above, just having a working symbol catalog isn't the point here, you'll also need to set the symbol properties to make the symbols into a collection/group. A collection is a subset of the catalog with similar symbols, and are used for various purposes. One of them is to make more space int he symbol catalog windows by grouping multiple symbols so they only appear as one, and you have to click the "+" to expand it to see it all (the illustration I tried to reference you in the tome), other uses includes random selections from group which is a great way to vary which symbol gets placed in your map without having to go back to the symbol catalog and select a new one for each click.
    But in all cases, you have to define the collection inside the symbol catalog, just having a working symbol catalog doesn't mean you have a group.

The CSUAC catalogs haven't been set up with collections either, so it makes sense that they would behave the same. As I said before, you can identify the presence of a collection when you have the symbol catalog loaded that some symbols have a little plus sign in the upper left corner you can click on to expand the grouping and see all the symbols in it.

Collections are defined by setting the 'Symbol is on of a collection' symbol option (the second page I referenced you to in the Tome). The options are set from the Symbol Manager (Make sure you are working on the symbol catalog and not a map, modifying the symbols in your map doesn't change the symbol catalog they came from)

And you should upgrade your Tome, that version is ancient. I am not 100% certain on this, but I do believe the 3+ version might be a free upgrade to the 3-version if my memory serves me correctly, so if that is the case, you should be able to get the latest one.
  • IthrilIthril Traveler
    okay, I figured it out.
    I had to rename all the symbols I had selected (over 80) to share the same name.

Thank you for your help.

Apparently my purchase was too long ago to qualify for the upgraded ToUM. If this is incorrect, please let me know. At any rate, it is not available to download the newer version.

I
    Check this Blog Post regarding the Tome upgrade.
  • IthrilIthril Traveler
    Ooooh, thank you for that. I'll have to send an email.

I