QUESTION: Macro variable maximum line length?

I would like to build a polygon command in a variable by appending one calculated point at a time to the string. This seems preferable to creating a set of numbered point variables of undetermined size. However I don’t know if macro string variables have a size limit. Could someone help me here?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am not sure about variable lengths, but the user input is capped at 256 characters, so I imagine that's the limit of what you can go to for a single command.
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited May 2020
    Bummer. With a 5 decimal point precision per coordinate I’ll use that space up in no time. So much for trying to fake an array of points. I guess I’ll have to create a series of connecting lines on a temporary layer then use SELBYL and LTP2 to convert them then SELBYP to do anything else with it. (There is always a way but sometimes it’s less fun then you hoped. ;) )
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The total length may be longer, as it may account for variable expansion. But I am not sure.

But maybe you should just write an XP instead of a macro? Then you don't have to deal with such restrictions.
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited May 2020
    I’ll think about it. The project I have in mind is a deconstruction of the random CITY command that can run or skip phases of the process so they can be done manually. In particular I’d like to construct an enclosed city wall around the map’s center with a more concise dialog. I’ve got the math worked out (I think) but rewriting the dialog would be tricky. (I want to use two-handled sliders for range values.)