Rescuing my missing rivers

Hi all, another newb question. I used Loopysue's wonderful CA article on the One Day Worldbuilder and, after significant learning curve and many whispers, managed to complete the effort to create a new world map. Only one problem, the rivers didn't make the trip to the final product. I have a Rivers sheet on an earlier draft (before transferring contours to the new template and coloring in all the polygons), and I tried to edit/copy that sheet and edit/paste to the finished product. It pasted, but I can't get the rivers to plot in the correct locations. Apparently, the sheet reference point of origin is not retained when I do this, so it won't paste correctly. I've tried Attach and Move Origin, which didn't fix the problem. A search of the forum or CC3 help files hasn't surfaced the proper approach. What steps should I take? (Other than throwing something at my computer.)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Where is the master repository of video instructions located?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It all depends on whether you had them visible at the time of the export. If you did, then they should be present in the exported CC3 map.
  • edited March 2020
    Hi Sue. Nope, I followed the directions to hide all but sea and land contours and grid. The sheet layer in the final product is empty. It's still there in the pre-template copy step so it's in a CC map, just not the post-contour paste and color.

To be clear, I can get them, I can copy them, and I can paste them--they just don't paste where I want them.
    OK, I am assuming that you are attempting to copy and paste the rivers after you have already moved the origin in our modified method.

If that is the case then you need to copy the rivers across before you move the origin, because by moving the origin you are moving the only solid reference point for your copying and pasting exercises.

The origin should only be moved once all the copying and pasting has been done.
  • Correct, and I did that but the rivers do NOT move to their proper placement.

The copy operation I've tried, edit/copy, make a group selection box that captures all of the lines of rivers--large enough to catch any hidden reference points, if any, and then Do It, entering 0.0 as the copy origin.

The paste is as done before with the separate land vs. sea contours, using edit/paste, enter 0,0 for copy and paste origins, esc to free the mouse, then Attach and View/Move Origin next, selecting the bottom left 0,0 point of the map, left click and done. The River sheet remains where it first landed.

The problem is, I suspect, that the stand alone Rivers sheet must not pay attention to the 0,0 point of the whole map that the sheet is copied from. Instead, the rivers float well "upward" from where they should. I suppose I could try freehand placement of them, but was hoping there was a more elegant and accurate way to place them.

I'm guessing that copying over the contours and grid and hiding the rest in HC155 should have left the Rivers sheet visible when bringing the land contours over, and then hid to color in the polygons. Hate to do all from that point over. Surely there is some technique that retains the River sheet reference to its origin?
    edited March 2020
    Try including them in the ocean paste job - paste the ocean grid and rivers in one paste, then the land.

I suggest the ocean and grid paste because there are far fewer nodes in that paste than in the land contour paste - there being only 10 ocean contours, while there are 25 land contours.

Do not, whatever you do, move the origin until ALL the pasting is done.
  • Success. I'd hoped to avoid repeating so many steps, but they did go faster the second time around, LOL.

Interesting note. Microsoft released a Windows 10 update for 64 bit systems and I installed it, then tried to land/sea/grid/rivers copy and paste all in one. This time it worked, fancy that. Perhaps there was a mysterious little gremlin in the ones and zeroes, or perhaps it was just a coincidence.

I like the way the map looks using the HC155 colors, but I wish to select sections of the world and expand for more detail using CC3+. Do you think it's better to return into FT3 and select from there, then repeating this process several times over for the separate continents and/or regions? Or, is there a straightforward way to zoom in to sections of the CC3 map and create new maps from it? Looking for simple and straightforward, not necessarily the fastest method that requires another month of learning curve.

Thanks!
    That's good news :)

If you zoom into a part of your FT3 world, when you do the export it will only export the part that is visible. If you want a square map, or a different type of rectangle than regular screen shape, just adjust the size of the FT3 window until its the right shape.

For continents that are near the poles you might want to consider exporting those pieces from different map projections so that they are not as distorted as they are in the equirectangular map.
  • Ok, will do, thanks.

Is there a newer way to save the color scheme from the competed world map as a palette using the PALSAVE command and a PALLOAD after exporting continents from FT3? I'd like to use the similar coloring.

Or, possibly, an approach like Weatherman's set up, except with a 25/10 set of contours? I don't know how to edit the lgt files to cut back from his 32x16 color load file. I realize there is a specific format that's required, but not the sequencing of the data sets.

I'm getting much to deep into this map making stuff--I'll never get this book finished. But, it is kind of fun, LOL.
    The PALSAVE and PALLOAD are the new way of saving and loading palettes - between different CC3 maps.

I'm not sure what you mean by keeping the similar colouring. Which colouring are you talking about?

I'm not sure I understand how Andre did what he did with the colour palettes. All I know is that its dead clever and very useful :)

Maps are always much more fun than writing books :D
  • Oh, I saw my name in this discussion :)
    Originally I used 32 colours for the land and 16 colours for sea contours - but I'm sure there is a way to work with a set of 25/10 colours as well.
    I have to think a little bit about it though...
    ...I will return with an answer soon (hopefully tomorrow)
    /André

GW1230 - what kind of .lgt would you like to use - an existing one or colours of your own choice?
  • HI, and thanks for chiming in. I continue to be amazed by the talents on this forum--and those developing this software.

Good suggestions, Sue, I will try to get some basic text and a title on the map, then post it for comment. This would be the top level world map without adding more than names of continents and major oceans. The next level would be of specific continents and there I would add features, roads, towns, etc. I could go crazy on this, and add all sorts of things but I need to write! LOL Maybe a group thread would be good, if people would like to make suggestions.

Weatherman, I'm trying to use Sue's ODWB palette because it looks perfect to add text and such onto. My goal is a set of maps suitable for publishing, not gaming, so legibility is important. I know I could shift to a different set of colors, but her soft palette should allow clarity even when shrunk to a printed page. As I'm writing a large work and am unpublished, the more "finished" I can make this look, the better. So, the HC155 scheme looks good unless someone suggests another. It would be nice to understand the format for the .lgt files. The RGB values are clear, but what goes where, which is first/last, and what other values are adding information to CC3+ might be good to see. I searched the forum, but found nothing, and not in any video I've found either. There might be something, but perhaps you'd care to share your inputs in a new thread called "Making a Custom Palette" or something? (I did read the article you did, which included some examples, but not quite how to modify them for a different setup.)

I have to admit that I've enjoyed tinkering around with this despite a few frustrations here and there. I can also see it would be easy to get mesmerized in making the map and not starting Volume 9... Not so good!

Thanks to you both!
    P.S. Sue it is fun, but so far I'm enjoying writing, too. ;-)
  • "Sue's ODWB palette" - is that the Old map Wilbur style?

In the .lgt file the colours are defined in the following way (you may have as many colours as you like...)

AltColor ColorList
    Gamma 1.00000
    Mode 2
    Data
    0, 97, 71,"" <-colour for the lowest regions / near sea level
    255, 255, 255,"" <-colour for the highest regions / mountains
    ColorListEnd

SeaColor ColorList
    Gamma 1.00000
    Mode 2
    Data
    40, 57, 108,"" <-colour for the deepest sea
    128, 191, 213,"" <-colour for the shallowest regions / near the beach /near sea level
    ColorListEnd

/André
  • What I could do for you:
    When you post a couple of colours that definitively should be used in your desired palette
    -> my tiny program can spread them out uniformly to 32 colours for the land and 16 colours for the sea plus a pal file that you can use in CC3+ plus the needed .lgt file for Ft3.
  • Hi Andre, thanks for you inputs.

I think I will take Sue's suggestion and post a working copy of my map for thoughts/suggestions. Would that suffice for providing a couple of colors? I will start a new thread as she mentioned, but will mention your name. I assume she sees pretty much everything, LOL.

Off to go read the rules for posting a map...
    Or you could just carry on with this one to maintain the flow now that Andre has found you?

All you have to do is prepare an image that is no wider than 1024 pixels. When you have your shot of the map lined up on screen press the "prt sc" button, then open your favourite bitmap editor and create a new file from the clipboard. You can then crop the screen shot to size and export it ready to attach to your next comment. The Attachments text box under the comment box is where you need to do that. Click the Browse... button and search for your file.