Scale of CC3+ Maps imported from FT3

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to FT and have only done basic things with CC previously, so please forgive me if I am missing basic concepts or terminology.

I'm an RPG gamer. I made a map for my new campaign world using FT3 - wow it's beautiful, great software! I used a 5000 km world circumference. Since then, I have been experimenting with different settings to export it to CC3+, so I can build in campaign elements. I've tried exporting single and multi-files with various settings, and from various sized FT3 views. Somehow they all have the same fatal flaw. When I zoom in the map within CC3+, the minimum grid size for editing the map is 5km. So, no feature I edit can be smaller than a 5km square. This is decidedly unhelpful for RPGs :-( where most of the action is on smaller scales.

When I've used CC starting from scratch, I have a map which is 8000 km, and I can easily edit features around 50m. That's what I'd like to achieve here. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Best regards,
Michael

PS: Oddly, the imported file actually does have smaller features (down to about 1km), but I can't edit at that scale. I'm not sure this is important, but I thought it was odd.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Are you working with the snap grid on?
    CC3+ uses a coordinate system with 5 decimal points, so the editing resolution of an overland map should be about 1cm, no matter the size of the map.
    If you are using the snap grid, I recommend simply turning it off, it isn't that helpful for overland maps. Or, if you want it on, edit it, and set the grid sizes to something more usable for you (remember that one map unit equals 1 km, so you may need to go into the decimals here).

That said, since you are talking about RPG's and smaller scales. I don't recommend paying that much detail to a single map. Instead, I recommend making separate, more detailed maps of the interesting areas as you need it. Just like you see in a real atlas, there is a limited amount of detail on the world map, but the individual country maps are much more detailed. This is the same thing as you also can see in the Community Atlas
    Too much detail in a single map may also slow down CC3+.
  • Hey, that was it! I was so focused on the file export, I didn't think about the editing settings. I turned off the snap, and now I can do what I was trying to do.

Thank you so much!

Regarding the detail in the single map, FT3 helps a lot with that since it will automatically break the map up into smaller maps for export. That works very well for me. I can use the global map as the start, and then "color over" it if I need it to look nicer.

Best regards,
    Michael