Does CC3+ have difficulty displaying some characters in available font groups?

Hi all,

another technical inquiry from me, this time about fonts. I am trying to get CC3+ to display some words from the Slovak language. For some reason, the software seems to have difficulty displaying certain characters with carons, but not others.

"Pekná cesta", "Nový záhon", "ŽST", "Nám. Biely kríž, "Mladá garda", "Riazanská", "Ursínyho", and "mýto" all display correctly, but the program changes "Vozovňa Krasňany" to "Vozovna Krasnany", and "Račianske" to "Racianske". All of this text is written in Arial - though I have experimented with others and gotten the same result - and on any other Windows software it displays correctly, but for some reason CC3+ doesn't seem to be able to load some of these. Would anyone happen to know what the issue is, and if there is any way it could be fixed?

Thanks!

Comments

• I think you have to add them. I got Norse type English font from the below link.

I did a search on 'Slovak' and came up with several results. I don't know how accurate they are.

https://www.ffonts.net/
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2020
    I am pretty certain it is CC3+ not handling unicode. In the arial font, all of the working characters are mapped to a value in the "classic" ascii table, while letters like ň aren't.

You can actually see this if you load up the supplied Windows Character Map application, select the arial font, check the 'Advanced view' box, and then select one of the character sets to see the much more limited range of characters here. For non-unicode programs, Windows should be using the character set matching your computer's locale, which causes issues with non-native glyphs (There is a high probability you are using Windows: Western). The extended ascii table unfortunately only contains 255 character slots, which limits what can be made available.

[Image_13676]
  • Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll have to draw a caron over the missing letters myself.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2020
    That might be the easiest.

Note that you can also change the default Windows codepage. If you do that, those characters will work fine (but you'll exclude others). For example, setting the system locale to Czech makes all the names from your example work perfectly in CC3+. This might be a bit overkill if you don't normally use this language however.
    The change will only affect non-unicode programs (like CC3+) though, it won't affect the language, date format and other things on your computer.

[Image_13683]

[Image_13682]
  • edited January 2020
    This forum is fantastic. I had no idea this was a feature, but as I type in Czech all the time, this is actually a perfect feature for me to change. Thank you so much!

EDIT: one more inquiry, if I may. After changing the language settings, it seems that all the text windows that CC3+ generates are made much smaller, not unreadable, but coming close to it. Is there a way to alter the size of text that is displayed inside one of these?
  • 1 year later
  • AndrearAndrear Newcomer

I also tried to work in CC3 + and I had problems with some fonts that do not display and I decided to use other programs because I need it to be something special and I want the fonts I use to be displayed. For example I often use unique smash bros font and I love how it looks. Have you tried it? I came across it on a font site, where new fonts always appears and I follow to see something special for my projects.

• I don't know if those will work with CC3+ or not. If not, you can use a bmp, png, or jpg of the character you want and inset it into the map.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

CC3 only supports ASCII fonts. If the characters you want aren't in the first 256 characters of the font, then CC3 won't be able to handle or display them.