Installation

Is there a guide to walk noobs thru the installation process? I got CC3+ installed, but when I click on CD3+ or DD3+ I get "This app can't run on your PC, check with publisher". When I click on the CD3_ Essentials pdf, I get "Unable to open file 'CC3_Essentials'". But the DD3_Essentials opens fine. Of course, there's no installation instructions in it?

Ugh, I knew CC had a big learning curve, but didn't think that included installation.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2019
    Sounds weird. There are no specific installation instructions, because installation is supposed to be straight-forward, just double-click on the downloaded installer, click next a couple of times, and you should be ready to go.

The fact that your computer seems to have problems opening some of the pdf files make it sound like something weird is going on with your computer though. The errors you describe is nothing I've heard other users report before.

Also, what exactly are you clicking on when you say
    when I click on CD3+ or DD3+ I get "This app can't run on your PC, check with publisher".
    Are you talking about the installers here?
    If it is the installers giving you problems, then combined with the issues you seem to have opening some of the PDF files, I'm leaning towards thinking that your downloads have been corrupted in some way, can be due to an unreliable internet connection, or unreliable hardware in the computer. Try downloading the files again (you may wish to try with a different browser, a different computer and/or a different internet connection).

You should be able to check if a downloaded installer is OK by right clicking it, selecting properties, then in the properties dialog, go to the Digital Signature tab (If it doesn't have a digital signatures tab, is probably corrupt), and then click the Details button. Wait a bit while the file is being checked (takes half a minute or so), and a new dialog should show up, which, if everything is OK should say that 'This digital signature is OK' near the top, as well as including some fields below indicating the signature belongs to ProFantasy. Any errors in this dialog also indicates a corrupt file.
    (This is only applicable for executable, such as the installers, and not for pdf files and the like)
  • Thank you for the details. I'm running Windows 10 on a very new machine, haven't had a problem with any other programs. My "Properties" screen does not have <Archive> or <Digital Signatures>.
  • Downloading with Chrome worked. Originally I used Firefox. Is there a bug report section somewhere?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    PF download files tend to be on the large size compared to other apps because of all the artwork included. No browser has ever proven to be 'man enough' for the job even on my new computer, so I use Internet Download Manager (IDM) instead of relying on any browser. IDM does it all in about a tenth of the time and never misses a beat. Unfortunately it isn't free, though it is well worth the money.
  • For me it depends on the web site. I use FF almost exclusiveley, but a few times this year I had to use MS Edge instead. I couldn't see any reason for the change.

I do know in html days extensions only usable by one browser were on a web site.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I do almost all my downloads from PF in firefox without any issues, but over the years, all of my browsers have had strange issues from time to other forcing me to use a different one.

There is no dedicated bug reporting system, but you can always use the support form on your registration page.