Made a new city for a friend and looking for feedback

Hey all! I'm still new to the software and would appreciate some constructive feedback. I'm always wanting to get better and would like some help to that end. Please let me know what you think of my most recent city.

Here's a link to the full picture.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It looks really good :)

One thing I noticed is that you had a lump of high land just outside the wall. This would not be a great idea tactically speaking, since the enemy might immediately have a height advantage over the wall. Maybe it would be better to put the wall on top of the dyke, instead of behind it?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2019
    The map looks good, but the wall got me thinking.
    Whenever I see a walled city, I always start thinking "Why did they build this wall, and why did they build it this way?".

That city is quite small, and such a solid stone wall is an expensive endeavor. What is it that small place spend this much on a wall? Is the location of strategic importance to the kingdom (thus having it paid by the king)? While every town would surely love to have a solid wall for protection, the cost of such a stone wall would be prohibitive for most.

I also notice that there are a lot of empty space inside your wall, which tells me that it is a very recent addition to the city. Space inside a city wall is generally very precious, an as cities grow, they tend to pack tight, utilizing every inch of space.

Your trees also look a bit orderly. Is the area around the wall deliberately kept free of trees? Otherwise there would surely be a bit more trees in the middle of that open plain around the city.
  • Loopysue - I didn't mean for the hill to feel too large, I'll work on that to make it feel flatter. I honestly just found the hill terrain when i was working on the map and wanted to use it to see how it would look lol.

Monsen - Great questions! Definitely will need to keep them in mind when making my own maps and for others. This map was kind of rushed as I only had a few hours to make it, but I'm going to keep tweaking it and making it better.

Thank you for the feedback, it will definitely go to helping me make better maps. :)
  • Thank you for sharing.
    Your map looks good.