[CD3] Houses "demographic" layers and color with VARICOLOR symbols

Hi all!

I'm facing a problem with VARICOLORed houses symbols and BLDNG layers/STRUCTURES (COLORS).

I want to add what is called "demographic" information (according to CD3_Essential.pdf) thus have my houses given a color related to the use of the house/building: religious, inn, rich/poor, etc.

I make use of the "classic" method, depicted in the CD3 essential: I place houses on the expected BLDNG layers (or use CHANGEHL command later) then apply colors using the idoine menu.

That works fine with all houses/symbols BUT with VARICOLORed house symbols!

Actually, the house symbol VARICOLOR changes to the demographic layer color! * sobs *

Comments

• I believe house symbols are on multiple layers.

Check with list which layer is the roof. And that purplish color reminds me of the color after selection, but not after the color change command completes.
  • edited September 2019
    Hi Jim!

The roof is on "STRUCTURES (SHADING)", the VARICOLOR on "STRUCTURES (COLORS)" and the demographic color on "BLDNG (*)" layers... (I found this by masking layers one by one and looking at what is disapearing ;) )

The strange behaviour seems to be when changing demographic color of a VARI symbols: the color fill is not on the BLDNG* layer as others but on the STRUCTURES (COLORS) and it is set to the BLDNG* layer color attribute (I don't know how it is coded behind CHANGEHL command and houses symbols...)

Can this be a bug?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi Anoril :)

(I'm Sue Daniel from the FB Group page)

You mentioned that the CHANGEHL command was one from CD2 on FB. Is that right, or have I still got it all upside down?

I have a feeling (but it's only a feeling because I have no idea for sure) that things might be a little different in CD3. I think you put that possibility forward yourself.

Sadly, I am still up to my eyeballs with commission work right now, or I would try to find out.
  • Hi Sue!

As far as I can remember, CHANGEHL existed on CD2 and actually remains on CD3. I own both CC2 and CC3+ and did not "updated" but installed a fresh release. What it implies to me is that if this command exists in the CD3 menu, it means it should be maintained and working :) (And I reread the CD3 Essentials and the command is depicted).

Yes, I agree that _may be_ the command is obsolete and my not work as expected. :/ * sobing *

I do not use that much of House symbols as the House command works fine. So I can explode symbols and mke things up to get them working. But I would be happy if there is a faster solution. And I plan to create a huge city with many houses... That is a terrible to think about the time spend only to achieve coloring stuff for DM only ;)

Thanks for your comments, anyway! :D

Paul
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    CHANGEHL should:

1) ask for entities to change,
    2) ask for a layer to change to, and then
    3) set the layer of selected entities to the selected layer except for entities on the "STRUCTURES (OUTLINE)", "STRUCTURES (SHADING)", or "STRUCTURES (FILL STYLE)" layers.

It shouldn't directly affect anything else, including color. I don't know what the interaction should be with bitmap varicolor things, though. The age of the command suggests that it should be aimed at vector symbols more than at bitmap symbols.

Probably not the most helpful answer, sorry.
  • edited October 2019
    Hi Joe!

Thanks for your support! (^_^')

You are right about the command. At least, it does not change the color by itself. One have to apply the color change by opening "Color Buildings" window then click on "Change now".

I'm sure I'm the only one to use this kind of feature... ;)

Regards,

Paul :D
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Ah, I misunderstood your problem.

If I understand correctly, changing the color on a varicolor bitmap symbol via any technique will change the varicolor parts to the specified color because the entity color is used to draw the varicolor parts. Changing the color on a non-varicolor bitmap symbol will have no apparent effect because entity color isn't used to draw any part of the bitmap (all colors come from the bitmap file).

It sounds like things are working as they were designed, but the CCL tool might no longer be particularly useful in the case of bitmap symbols, especially varicolor bitmap symbols.
  • Hmmm.

As far as I understand correctly your comment, it works as designed but things goes farther than the command can manage with symbols and varicolor stuff...

The same color fill item (shape, layer, I don't know how it works actually) is used for both varicolor symbols and demographic color, thus we can't have two distinct colors for a single varicolored symbol.

Hence I think the logical solution is to give all and every varicolor symbol a second colored shape/fill to use for the demographic purpose.
    The rational solution is to forget about the demographic concept with varicolor symbols :)

Then, the only way I see to get what I want should be to identify every vari-symbols used in my map, copy-paste the color fill from STRUCTURES (COLORS) to the expected BLDNG* layer. Well. It will be some more work, but it could be done :)

Regards,

Paul