Hexagon Tile Sizing

Hello...

I am currently in the process of converting quite a bit of my strategy game code from the MonoGame Engine to that of The Game Creators' far easier to use, AppGameKit engine.

My hexagonal map board is created through the use of individual tiles, each one sized 72pixels by 72 pixels, with my hexagon within along with a transparent background.

I am by no means a graphic artist and I would like to know if there is some way I can use Campaign Cartographer 3+ to create individual hexagonal tiles based on the above size that can be transposed over transparent back grounds.

Thank you... :-)

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2019
    Hi Snaidamast :)

I may not be understanding you correctly here, but I'm pretty sure there is a way. You can certainly draw them in CC3 using all the available fills and symbols, but CC3 doesn't export anything with a transparent background so you would have to open the exported hexagons in GIMP and get rid of the background - if that's what you mean.
  • Hi Loopysue...

Thank you for your reply... :-)

Yes, you are describing exactly what I would like to do. I use Corel's Paint-Shop Pro so I can create the needed transparent background.

I just would also need to create a hexagonal shape more or less as Paint-Shop Pro does it. If CC3+ can do that, than I am in business.

It is the graphics of the tiling that has discouraged from continuing with my game development effort.

Thank you, again...
    Ok, well we have hexagonal snap grids, and can draw hexagons like this.

Exporting them at exactly the right size will take a bit of maths, but is not impossible. I am a little confused by the fact that your hexagons seem to be in square images. Normally they are longer in one dimension than the other owing to the points.

We can do them the other way up as well ;)
    There are also a couple of annuals created for mapping entirely in hexagons. I'm just searching for the most recent one, which uses the Mike Schley mapping style - a very popular style, much liked by most mappers.
    edited July 2019
    Yes. In the January issue of the 2018 annual there is a hexagon mapping style based on the Mike Schley style of drawing.

https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2018/january18.html

Or you could just make a map with a hexagonal grid without the annual. The Mike Schley style is included with CC3
  • edited July 2019
    Hi Loopysue...

You are correct that hexagons usually reside in a rectangular background. However, I designed mine to be within square backgrounds, which makes some of the algorithm design easier.

My hexagons also reside in the map board with the flat-side up.
    I hope I've managed to give you enough information there.

If you have any further questions just ask :)