Using trace on coastline

I've got a problem using the trace function. I'm trying to create a new entity over a portion of my land mass by tracing the coastline. However, when I trace the entity it doesn't follow the coastline exactly, it only traces a handful of nodes along the coastline. I've attached a screenshot showing the problem.

Comments

• In order to get detail in the trace, you have to make many clicks close together, in order to follow the detail.

However, using polygon, rather than smooth polygon, will help.
  • I must be doing something else wrong, because even close together I still don't get the trace actually following the coast.
  • BidmaronBidmaron Traveler
    Could you have snap to grid enabled? That can cause problems tracing.
  • No, Snap is off. And I could use trace fine in one of the Annual example maps, but not with any of the tools in my map. They all do the same thing.
  • Just to be sure, your coast line is a single entity, yes ?

I generally prefer to duplicate the entity rather than using trace... The I use explode, node edit etc...
  • Yes, the coastline is a single entity.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the number of nodes in my coastline, which was sketched and has a few thousand nodes. It's almost as if the trace function has a minimum distance between nodes and mine are too close together.

I think I may have to go the duplication route, although since I want to trace areas that are much smaller then the entire continent I don't think it is ideal.
  • Take care to put each duplicate on a new en empty sheet. Hide all over sheets. Explode duplicate. Erasing all unwanted part takes a few seconds. LTP (line to path) with what's left after optionnal trimming.
    Now if you have a lot of duplicates to make, I agree that it's time consumming.
  • Joachim, thanks, I hope that will work..but my first time copying to a new sheet caused a crash and now my file seems to be corrupt. Right clicking doesn't bring up a menu, and trying to access sheets causes a crash. I even deleted the sheet I copied to via command line and it still crashes. I've got a tech support ticket in now, so hopefully it can be fixed and I'll give this a try again.

My suspicion with trace is that it has a hardwired minimum node resolution, and anything higher than that resolution causes it to skip nodes....although just a guess.
  • My suggestion on future maps is to do a 'save as' filenameo1, make some changes, save as filename02, etc. That way if you want to back up 30 or 40 changes, or the map crashes, you have a backup.

If I were working on a new city, I would save as cityname01_001 Which means cityname version 1, map 001. I have gotten out to map 120, and decided to start over. So I went with cityname01b_001, etc.

That has prevented me from hair pulling more than once.
  • JimP - I hear that....I actually had been saving as separate filenames but wouldn't you know it - I had done a ton of work before my last archive.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Check the autosave.fcw file in your CC3 directory. It might contain a more recent copy, if it hasn't already been overwritten by another later autosave.
  • My crashing problem, and the tracing problem, have been solved thanks to Linda and appear to be related.

I had too many smooth polys in my map. In addition, my coastline was a smooth poly which evidently doesn't work so well when you try to trace it. In other words - the trace function does not work as intended when tracing a smooth poly. I went back and tested this with a small polygon shape and confirmed.