Community Atlas - Malajuri - Sanctuary City - COMPLETE

2»

Comments

• I have put whole areas of my city on separate layers (eg east inner city, south inner city, west inner city, castle, north city and outer city east and west) putting all buildings, trees etc on them, and hiding them all except the one I am working on. I keep the roads, walls and background fills, rivers and contours on though, and work with no effects - which still looks like the city, as Monsen has mentioned above.

I have had very intermittent internet over the last 2-3 weeks, so now I can say how much in awe I am of the wonderful detail Lorelei has put into this city. Both Sue and Lorelei deserve the title of Queen of the Beautiful City Maps.
  • I don't have a problem while i'm working on the map - i keep most of those sheets like the Relief Shading, etc. hidden. It's while trying to render a complete map like this for saving that bogs down - I'll get hung up if i don't load each sheet individually, rather than showing them all at once. I'll see what i can do with moving some stuff onto their own layer i can hide tonight after work. Thanks!

And Quenten....Thanks dear friend, I learned from the BEST. If you don't think i've taken your cities apart with a fine tooth comb, you aren't as smart as I know you are!! LOL!!! I could NEVER have pulled this off without Sue's gorgeous landscape and layout and seeing how you've built up cities with your posts. There is plenty of room on the pedestal for three :)
  • 8 days later
  • Almost there.... Just have to figure out my cemeteries and make some labeling changes. I'm in the process of making sure this map is workable in the Atlas since I've used some of my own symbols and fills in there. It's a BIG one so i'll keep all of the outer city hidden so it'll load, and then each layer can be unhidden and it should be fine (i hope)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Outstanding!

Its nearly complete - an incredible performance, Lorelei.

I am so, so glad you accepted the challenge of working the second half of this map :D
  • edited July 2019
    Final version folks. I'm calling this done. I'm pretty sure I got this all set up right to be available in the Atlas and will be sending the ZIP, yest ZIP file to Remy. This map is HUGE. REALLY HUGE.
    Beautiful work, Lorelei! :D

I had feared that this one would end up in the graveyard of things I've never finished.

Thank you so much! :D
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The City of sanctuary is now in the atlas. Thanks Sue and Lorelei for creating this masterpiece.

For everyone wanting to use the .fcw, this is a rather heavy map, I recommend you have a somewhat powerfull computer, especially if you plan on turning on all the details (The image in the atlas shows the map with all the details on, but the fcw comes with the outer city turned off for faster loading, but this can easily be turned back on using the links in the navigation bar.
    Also note that it relies heavily on resources shipped with the atlas, so I recommend downloading the entire atlas and not this file individually, as you will probably just end up with a sea of red X'es.
  • Might be worth mentioning this on the Sanctuary page of the Atlas as well. It's indeed a stunning map, as we'd expect from its creators, and I can imagine a lot of people might want to download it simply for the imagery, only to get frustrated when they have problems opening the FCW file.
    Posted By: WyvernMight be worth mentioning this on the Sanctuary page of the Atlas as well
    The atlas site already mentions that whenever someone clicks the fcw button on any page. I can't easily add page-spesific texts.
  • 13 days later
  • Lorelei and Sue, this is a beautiful map. Probably the best city map I've seen. Amazing work!

Alas, my CPU usage hits 100% when I try to open it and never seems to get beyond the flashing between not responding and blank green work area. I gave up after 15 minutes.

Still, I love the map and maybe someday I'll run on something other than a mid priced laptop and be able to open it. :D
    Posted By: ShessarAlas, my CPU usage hits 100% when I try to open it and never seems to get beyond the flashing between not responding and blank green work area. I gave up after 15 minutes.
    One thing I've found that seems to help me when that happen is to switch to a different window so CC3+ isn't the active application any more (Preferably a window on another screen so you don't hide CC3+ behind anything, you should also be able to simply make it inactive by clicking once on an empty area of the windows taskbar) and then just give it a short time (the time between two flashes)
  • Yay! Remy to the rescue again! Thank you, thank you.

Seriously, all I had to do was click over to my browser and it loaded instantly. The same with zooming in to an area. It took a bit longer but I was even able to load the full map. This is turning out to be a glorious day!
  • Thank you, Shessar :)

I found that going into the Task Manager and ending all unnecessary background processes (most notably, cortana and microsoft office click-to-run) frees up just enough memory to open the .fcw. Sorry! I had to go ahead and create each and every individual house and then use the random street tool for that huge outer city shanty town :/
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    It´s an incredible job. Congratulations :)
    I think I am partly to blame here. There were already lots of sheets and sheet effects, not to mention all the Street houses in the southern third of the city when I passed the map to Lorelei. It was why I couldn't open it myself any more on my old laptop - the broken one.

Oh, and then there were lots of hand-made domes - hundreds of shaded polygons. This was done before I created the City Domes set.
  • Lorelei and Sue, there is certainly no need to apologize for this amazing map! I'm just happy to be able to open it. There are so many things in it that I want to reverse engineer. :D

Posted By: LoreleiI found that going into the Task Manager and ending all unnecessary background processes (most notably, cortana and microsoft office click-to-run) frees up just enough memory to open the .fcw.
    I always stop all background apps from actively running using Settings>Privacy>Background Apps. In fact I turn off almost everything in Privacy. I don't want nosy, nosy Microsoft using my precious system resources. ;)
  • 7 months later
  • Wow! I have been away from this forum for a while, and I was led to this map by the "Maps Of The Month" page.

Amazing work!

You women are truly an inspiration.

And to think you have the generosity to give the fcw file away to the public!

Amazing.

Thanks.

-Dennis
  • Aw, thank you. Sue mostly set up the bones of the city and the landscaping, i just filled it all in :) It was a lot of fun doing - something so very out of my ordinary mapping comfort zone. Glad it serves as an inspiration!
    Lorelei, It would still only be a landscape it you hadn't done the city part :D