Orrina (renamed "Dorina")

2»

Comments

• MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: LoopysueThank you, Medio :)

LOL! I was wondering who would spot the giant trees on Gist. It was a mistake at first, but then I decided that Gist was a magic place where everything would be twice the normal size - one of the islands of Gulliver's Travels perhaps.

You're right about the roads and no rivers balance, but then again if everything was absolutely to scale they would be threadlike, and the rest would all be solid colours without texture. Orrin is also pretty dry for the most part. It's only really wet enough for rivers where the water bursts out of the edge of the desert aquifer and forms the Brightfen area in the north - which is where I've drawn them. The lakes fill with wet season runoff from the mountains, and dry out to half that size in the dry season. In fact the water course linking them together can end up running inland in the dry season where the springs at the edge of the desert continue to flow all year around.
    To be honest, i wondered if the giant trees was done by purpouse haha. I remember doing a map with "giant" symbols on purpouse for doing such effect. Magic is magic, after all.

Interesting about the weather and its circunstances about lacking rivers. Rivers, you know, have been where the civilizations were born. A world without rivers makes up for an interesting place indeed.
  • it's a beautiful map, Sue, you did a great job, as always!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Medio - LOL! I was told that the name of the continent was a bit too close to the Spanish word for urine, so I've updated the map and reduced the size of the trees. I'll upload a copy in a few days time ;)

Thanks Storm :)

(and yes - there are more rivers this time!)
    Sneak preview of the Winter effect.
  • 6 days later
  • Hi Sue! This map is really good and I'm really hoping to learn things from it. I've been thinking about it for a few days, and I can't get out of my mind that I feel the desert should be moved, or extended, to the west coast. It's of course impossible to tell, as we don't know the latitude the continent sits on.

Anyway, its a ridiculous quibble. The map looks great and there doesn't necessarily have to be the same wind effects on earth. A bit like Bateman taking Picasso to task.

Autumn
    Thank you, Autumn :)

Oceanic currents also affect whether coastal strips are fertile land or desert. There are many things that affect where deserts appear on a world.

Both the FCW files are included with the article, so if it really feels wrong to you, there's no reason why you can't adjust your own copy of the map ;)
  • It's a good point. I remember reading one article about climate and worldbuilding and after a rather involved discussion of it, the author wrote that climate is so complex that you could probably do anything and there would be a good explanation for it somewhere on our world.

I'm actually not sure I even agree with myself.

It's a great map. I have already downloaded the FCWs and been looking at the different effects.
    I don't think even the most highly qualified climatologist can really say where things will occur, other than in a general sense.

The deserts in the hinterland are around the 30 degree latitude range, where on Earth they occur as a result of descending air, but the snowfield is far too close to them. That part is pure fantasy for illustration of the effect alone ;)