Community Atlas: Du Wylderune (The Wild Lands) region, Malajuri (Complete)

2»

Comments

• huh... for some reason, the glow on my landmass isn't showing up. I'm going to have to figure out why that is. But that's a fix for next time.
  • I use an outer glow colour 66, with low blur, and range as appropriate fo map size; if that helps.
    I like the changes.
  • Posted By: MonsenThis issue should be fixed now, but browsers cache this stuff, so you may not see the change immediately. There is usually a key combination to force a complete reload (Ctrl+F5 in most browsers).

Posted By: LoopysueWhat's a hamburger menu?
    It is a common name used for the website/program menus as they appear on mobile devices. Instead of having the menu visible, it is usually hidden until you click themenu button, which is usually 3 horizontal lines in a box. Someone obviously thought it looked like a hamburger.
    Glad you explained that. I just thought of it as menu of mystery navigation. i.e. no labels.
  • well, I see one label I missed, so I will go and fix that. I will see if I like the outer glow. I usually only use that for text.
  • edited April 2019
    And here is the final update, complete with fcw.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2019
    Map is great, but your scale is completely off. You need to rescale the map to fit correctly with the area in the atlas. I just measured your map with the distance tool, and your map is 600 by 650 miles, while the area on Malajuri you where mapping was 215 by 225 miles.

You need to use the scale command (I recommend non-visual) to scale it down to about 0.35 of the current scale. (Which also means that you will need to place a new scale bar, as it won't be 60 miles any more)
  • grrrrrrrrrrr… okay. See this is the reason I don't usually use the scale bar. I have never completely understood how to compute distance.

So I need .35 scale to be correct? I can fix that easily.
    The problem isn't just the scalebar itself. It is the entire map that is off scale. If you try to measure the width of your map (use Info --> Distance), it comes up as 600, but if you measure the same region on the Malajuri map itself, the distance is 215. So you need to rescale your entire map by a factor of 0.35, not just the scalebar. (You did the scalebar 100% correct in your first attempt actually, the scalebar matched the map, the problem was just that the map itself was off).

There is an Article here about how to rescale your map, the interesting bit is the final heading "Rescaling the Entire Map".
    There is also a video here showing the main steps (Don't get hung up in the fact that I measure the scale bar in the video, I just did that to show the sizes before and after scaling).
  • Yeah!! I like this a lot. Now you can get onto the other reserved area on Malajuri you have, which adjoins mine and Lorelei's already done areas. hehehe
  • Hey Remy,

I've always been a better visual learner when it comes to anything computer related, so I decided to check out your video. Unfortunately, there was no sound, so I couldn't really understand what you were doing. I'll take a look at the article, to see if I can get this right, but it would really help if I could hear your instructions in your video.
    The video is intentionally soundless, it is intended to follow written tutorials. But if you pay attention to the mouse pointer in the video, you see exactly what I am doing every step of the way.
  • Okay, Remy, I've watched this video 4 times now, and I thought I understood what I needed to do, but I don't think it's coming out right. Now, you mentioned above that I needed to scale back my map by a factor of .35. Is the .35 what I'm supposed to input in the command line?

I followed every detail you did in that video. I measured the distance between the 2 points on the scale bar. I had it set to .6, but when I actually measured it, it came to .607...something. It's entirely possible I didn't get my cursor on the exact endpoints.

So I used the scale non-visual. I included the whole map. I right - clicked do it, which got me to the command line. I typed in .35, and enter. Which scaled the map down. But when I remeasured the distance according the scale bar, I'm now down to .21... something. I've redone this 3 times, with the exact same result. So please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
  • All you need to do is scale the scale bar. Delete the scale you have, and add a scale again. But before adding it, right click while it is on your curser and set the scale to 1. This should give a scale size of 100 map units (I suppose you use miles - poor thing). Let us know if this doesn't work.
    edited April 2019
    Hi Storm. I think you are doing things correctly, you are just getting hung up on the measurement of the scale bar itself. As I wrote initially, when you rescale the entire map like this, the scalebar will be wrong in the end. Instead of measuring the scalebar, after rescaling, measure the entire width of your map along the bottom border. If it comes out about 215, then you are good to go, and can just delete and replace the scale bar (remember, you did it correct the first time around, it was the map that was off, not the scale bar)

Note that you may need to go in and manually tweak some of the effect sizes after rescaling too, that is normal when you express effects in map units instead of percentage of map size, but check the measurements first.
    Posted By: LadieStormIs the .35 what I'm supposed to input in the command line?
    Yes
  • edited April 2019
    And we're trying this one last time. I'm afraid I wasn't able to get it to exactly 215, best I could get it to was 207. I hope that works.
  • Posted By: QuentenYeah!! I like this a lot. Now you can get onto the other reserved area on Malajuri you have, which adjoins mine and Lorelei's already done areas. hehehe
    Uhm… Quenten, The only other place I reserved, was one of the mausoleums in Voud Califf, for the dungeon map I'm currently working on. What other reservation are you talking about?
    Your older ones. You reserved a couple of areas in May last year.
  • I did? where? I don't remember. I remember Lorelei asking me to do a colorwash map for Malajuri, and I told her I would take a look... but I don't actually remember reserving anything. Let me go back and take a look. :)
  • omg... Remy you are correct, and I am so sorry I forgot! I asked to do those two islands, and the south east mountain range in Malajuri.

I will get to working on those...
    Note that Quenten did a regional map of a larger area of Berenur that also included an overview of those two islands. The islands themselves are still yours to map, and since you reserved them before Quenten made his map, I'll leave it up to you if you wish to base your detail map on Quenten's regional map or not (If not, he's already agreed to edit his map to ensure it doesn't conflict with your detail map)
  • okay, that actually clears some things up. I saw that he had already mapped them, and I was willing to let his maps stand, but if he's okay with what I do with them, I will work on them :). I will get started on those two maps, once I finish the dungeon I'm currently working on, since that is part of Voud Califf and will also go in the Atlas.
    The Du' Wylderune map is now in the atlas. Thanks to Storm for a great contribution.

Note that the best way to avoid having to rescale the map in the end is to make sure you create the map with the correct sizes initially. Taking some time to figure out the dimensions to use at the start can save you a lot of problems later, and it also ensures that placing the scale bar is painless. This is something I highly recommend for all maps, not just atlas maps, because if the map is in the correct scale, you can use tools like distance, length along and area to get the correct values instantly, for example when your players ask you how long the road between Doom and Despair is, you just tell CC3+ to give you the length of the road and that's it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Great work, Storm :)

As for the scale thing - I can vouch for that. I've just changed the scale on a map myself and spent about half an hour trying to work it all out.