Community Atlas - Elen Daelarion - Caves

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2019
    Quenten, does this lake have a name ? The cave next to it is the next on the list I made. Number 6 I can make a name that refers to the words next to it. Or is that the name of the mountain ?

Thanks.
  • Preliminary map of cave 3, no name yet. This group came up with an easily findable cave full of traps to help handle attackers. Two obvious pits so they think they have already been sprung. The floor has a large number of pit traps, differing sizes and depths, to handle interlopers.

For some reason the room names are clear after effects, but the numbers aren't.

Put them on a different sheet ?

Suggestions welcome.
  • Lake Vilhalis. I am in the process of naming all the features for the Modern Political version
    The Mouth of Roriol is flanked by impressive, but semi-ruined statues of Dwarven Gods. The whole large complex is levels of dwarven halls (like Moria in LOTR), both up from the entry level and below. It was a dwarven kingdom, but a 'balrog' equivalent slew them all, and now rules a humanoid (?trogdolyte or other cave dwelling only critters) from his lair in the uttermost depths. I took Moria as my inspiration.
  • Interesting. My Dwarf Home is similarly based. But there are a few Dwarves still in there.
  • Perhaps use that as a basis for Mouth of Roriol? And sorry, I meant 2 huge trees, carved into likenesses of Dwarven Gods, a little like the trees in Game of Thrones
  • Okay. I can make several levels for the Mouth one. The ones nearby would be outer defenses.

On my cell.
  • Oh. If I make stairways that are up in the air I may have to do them using Isometric. I don't know of any way else to portray them.

Or I can just use a descending stair symbol.
  • There are also ascending stairwells in the 'flat' style, both DD3 and SS4
  • I was remembering the escape from the balrog in the movie, but I'll stick with the flat maps that you requested.
  • On my political Map of Elen Daelarion (not yet finished) the name of New Home is Teachnua, which is Gaelic for New Home (I have put both names on the map). Apart from a few caves, I would like you to name them, I will translate into Gaelic, with your name in brackets - see the progress map I have put up on the forum.
    I am so impressed by your dedication, and quality and imagination of your maps. Unfortunately, I have a mental block with dungeons.
  • Thank you. I am a bit flabbergasted that people like my maps.
  • Cave 3, Dark Sadness

Any suggestions, please let me know.

Dark Sadness

1) A triangular cave: an obvious passage leads to a room full of traps. Number 2.

2) mostly circular room: About 60' x about 50' two large obvious pits. One with spikes and one with skulls. A few piles of wood debris as well. Those items are to get enemy forces to come into the room. There are several unmarked pits of various depths.

3) Defense 40' x 50' room with a 15' high wall with 3 towers. But only one stair going up to the top of the wall. No gate in the wall. Supplies and people are lifted via a long gone wood and rope crane.

4) Guard Room 40' x 30' Back up guard room. Some debris.

5) Quarters for the rest40' x 50' . Debris and a fireplace. Did the attackers come down the flue for the fireplace ?

6) Food and weapon storage 40' x 50' Debris is all that is left. Some rotted or fossilied food might be found here.

7) Dining and kitchen. 70' x 40' Two fireplaces and debris.
  • preliminary cave 04, Great Outpost. This one will be 2 levels. Or should it be 3 ?

What are those two stone debris houses doing in there ? Last hope defenses.
  • You work fast, Jim. Like these (as per usual)
  • I'm thinking a cave lake below this level.
    edited April 2019
    Great Outpost. No fireplaces to the outside for invaders to enter. They had never hear of dragons that could polymorph into a being small enough to get in through a normal passageway, nor did they check the water in the cave ( number 9 ) that they turned into a last stand.

Not all effects done.

Spiral stairs in room 4, right side of throne room, goes down to a small area blow.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Great work, Jim. I see you have already sorted out the effects on this one :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The Dark Sadness cave is now in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution.

Jim, I noticed that Bastion Cave from the previous page looks to be done, but I haven't received any files for it. An oversight, or are you still working on it?
  • Good question... I'll check on it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    LOL! You are mapping so fast you've overtaken yourself :)
  • Part 01 of the Great Outpost.

The Great Outpost

Part 01

The attack at the entrance was a distraction. The enemy came out of the deep pond in room 9.

1) 100' x 60' Entrance to this outpost. Debris and a hastily built set of stone walls to help defend with.

2) 30' x 70' plus 20' x 30' lobby area: the old guard room. Wood benches along the smaller area's walls and a hastily built set of stone walls to help defend with.

3) 50' x 50' Assembly area for meals. Now full of debris and skeletons as they tried to defend from attackers coming from 2 directions. Two torch holders outside the defenses. A good idea, but no way to relight them once the attacks started.

4) 30' x 30' entrance when someone wants an audience with the local Lord. The spiral stairs down to Part 02 still there if a bit wobbly.

5) 80' x 90' Throne Room of the local Lord. Six chairs for upper leaders, and two thrones for the Lord and his Lady.

6) 40' x 30' Kitchen. Three broken stoves and 2 preperation tables.

7) 30' x 30' sleeping quarters for the upper leaders. Bunk beds.

8) 40' x 70' Leader/Lord quarters. just bones and two torch holders left. The rich tapestries are gone.

9) About 88 feet long by 16-40 feet wide. Last Stand is a cave with the local water supply. The wall was not completed before the monsters came up out of the pond. The giant green fungi will wave to visitors. Maybe it contains the souls of those who died here ?

10) 90' x 70' Quarters for the rest. Some old double bunks. The green ones probably have fungi growing on them.
    Bastion Cave is now found in the atlas. Thanks for another great dungeon Jim.
  • I thought I had submitted Bastion earlier. I can go faster ... but I may make more mistakes then.
    edited April 2019
    Posted By: JimPI can go faster ... but I may make more mistakes then.
    I prefer less mistakes :)
    While it is always great with more maps for the atlas, we're not exactly in a hurry.
    edited April 2019
    Some of the Iso maps I did turn out quicker than these cave maps. My own maps, I can churn them out quickly. Buit since I'm trying to make maps for someone else, and to a certain criteria, I am slowed down. Some of it is due to me having to think through the maps more thoroughly.
  • For my Crestar maps, I generaly place the larger rooms and passageways. Then go back and decide where secret doors, small secret passageways, and small rooms attached to the larger rooms are located, defenses, escape tunnels, etc.

I have been doing that somewhat with these maps.
  • Grand Outpost Part 02. Work still to be done.

1) Was going to be quarters for more guards and other fighters. Spiral stairs go up to Part 01.

2) a cave, connected by passageway to room 1, and started out to carve out another room. They had idea two caves were there. The passageway construction ceased when the other passageway found cave room 3.

3) a short test passageway found this cave.

4) was going to be a store room.

5) the reason why the level was abandoned. Any torches lit in this room did not glow yellow, but a pale green. They quickly left the room. A group of guards came in, and found the empty torch holder had a lit torch in it. Giving off a pale green light. They put it out, it relit itself.

They have not been back.

Why wasn't a level built above Part 01 ? The local leader was concerned that a disgruntled guard would drop rocks on his head.
  • Final bits unless suggestions are made.

Grand Outpost

Part 02. Work still to be done.

1) Was going to be quarters for more guards and other fighters. Spiral stairs go up to Part 01.

2) a cave, connected by passageway to room 1, and started out to carve out another room. They had idea two caves were there. The passageway construction ceased when the other passageway found cave room 3. A few skeletons. The passageway was a last refuge for a few survivors of earlier attacks.

3) a short test passageway found this cave. Wood debris.

4) was going to be a store room. Wood debris. Rubbish.

5) the reason why the level was abandoned. Any torches lit in this room did not glow yellow, but a pale green. They quickly left the room. A group of guards came in, and found the empty torch holder had a lit torch in it. Giving off a pale green light. They put it out, it relit itself. One skeleton.

They have not been back.

The unnumbered cave was never found by the previous inhabitants. So near, yet so far.

There are small tunnels on the sides of the water area.

Why wasn't a level built above Part 01 ? The local leader was concerned that a disgruntled guard would drop rocks on his head.