Color of SS1 Monocolor Objects

Hallo
I use some SS1 Handdraw hollow Symbols in my map. They are all red in the Moment andI now want to change the color of these Symbols. It seem not to work on the same way as for normal varicolor Objects.
I was not able to change the color by using the change Properties or the change color dialoge.
With normal CC3 varicolor Objects I was able to change the varicolor.
Because the SS1-Handdraw-hallow-Symbols have just one color it should be simple to change the color.

How can I do this? And what is my mistake?

Thanks for your answers Robak

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Maybe someone has a better idea, but you can change the color if you explode the symbol first. After changing the color you can group it back into one entity again.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Unfortunately the hollow handddrawn SS1 symbols are a varicolor version that is not so easily changed after being placed in the map. That's because they use the VARICOLOR layer instead of the variable symbol color.

To replace them with ones in a different color, you can do the following:
    - load the symbol catalog that contains them
    - change your current drawing color to the one you want.
    - add the symbol to the drawing by clicking on it. There's no need to actually place it on the map, just clicking it places the defitinion in the drawing.
    - open the Symbol Manager and use the "Replace" function to replace the old-color symbol with the new one.

Monsens suggestions might be the simpler solution.

We'll be looking at changing the way these symbols work in the next update.
  • RobakRobak Newcomer
    In this case I think it would be easier to move this Symbols to an extra sheet and use the sheet effekts to change the color of all Objekts in this sheet.
    Yeah, that's a very good solution.
  • 2 years later
  • RobakRobak Newcomer
    edited April 2011
    In my actual mapping project I had again the same problem.
    I mad a Map in the Overland Black & White Style. [url]http://sub.profantasy.com/2008/august08.html[/url]
    There I had a lot of black symbols and it was hard to see the city's which are more important as the trees.
    So I want to make all city's red. But again this was just possible by using a special sheet for all city's and make the sheet red by using the RGB-Matrix Processes.
    The disadvantage of this solution is, that this new sheet has to be either in front or behind all other symbols. So it is not possible to have a red city with a black tree in front and a black tree behind.

It would be very helpful if all symbols with exactly one (non white) color would be implemented as Objects with variable colors
  • Another solution would be to edit the city symbols in that map, and change the lines from black to red. That will change the symbol as it's defined in this map without affecting other maps.

Steve
    To create your own set of varicolor symbols in this style, do the following (it's easy):

- Copy the catalog file (e.g. C3B_Structures.FSC) to a new file (e.g. C3B_Structures_vc.FSC)
    - Open the catalog with CC3 (directly, not only in the catalog window)
    - Use Symbols > Symdefs to Sheets
    - Show all sheets
    - Use Symbols > Make Varicolor, select by color 0 (black), Do It.
    - Use Symbols > Sheets to Symdefs
    - Open Symbol Manager, select all Symbols, Options, check "Varicolor Symbol"

- Use Symbols > Rename & Reorder > Create symdef name file to export all your symbol names to a text file
    - Use a text editor like to notepad to change all CD3B parts of the names to CD3Bvc by doing find/replace (this is to avoid doubling up symbol names)
    - Use Symbols > Rename & Reorder > Import renamed symdefs... to impor the new symbol names

- Save the catalog
    - Load it in your map and use the varicolor symbols.

I've attached the example catalog.
  • 7 days later
  • RobakRobak Newcomer
    It works wonderful.
    Thanks a lot for this solution.