Gurnic: A Kingdom in Erdan´s World

Hey all.

Being absent last weeks/months due RL, but now i got finally some time back and wanted to show you my last map.

I drawn my RPG world map, Erdan (http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6854&page=1#Item_29), and now planning to draw all Erdan´s kingdoms. I started by the first place my players met.

The map is done with CC3+, DeRust style with some textures/symbols from other styles as HH, and also some made /drawn by myself. Used Photoshop CC to make the sea, final effects and the labeling. It took me quite a time but now it´s done the other ones will go much faster as the style is already defined. Probably won´t post them as they will add few to you. Sorry about the map´s size, the one i´m using is like 47mb size so you can guess the detail will be lost a bit.

Need help on which of the 3 maps i will post do you like more. Two of them have different sea effects and one adds a parchment sheet. If anyone has any suggestion about improving the map, (s)he´s welcomed.

Thanks in advance, there it is:

Comments

• MedioMedio Surveyor
    And finally the parchment one:
  • They are all lovely (and inspiring) I like the 2nd one best, but not really that much difference in quality overall - they are all 'super-duper'
  • Really, really nice map! :-)
  • edited April 2018
    Fabulous!!! Your coastline is really beautiful :) The first and last are my picks
  • Beautiful. These I would expect to see on the table in a tavern as the adventurers plot their move. :)
  • I like them all! They look to me like they are from different time periods in the world's history so the maps are close but not exactly the same. I really love the way you've made your coastline look. Adding the small details of the wavy lines that are not solid all the way around them looks really good.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Absolutely beautiful!
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Ok, about the coastline (it looks even better on a higher resolution map)...

First of all, i wouldn´t do it without the EDIT COASTLINE option that i learned thanks to Monsen. Props. I guess i could do it editing in Photoshop but it would be way slower. CC3 is more powerful in terms of coastline editing and creating. Still, i could erase some coast by simple delete some chunks of it in Photoshop to make it look sharper. Didn´t need it so i didn´t do it.

Second, for the effects i had two options, using CC3 ones or PS ones. I´m more used to the PS ones so i used them but i think i could emulate them perfectly in CC3. It´s a matter of taste. Basically, i outlined the coastline in black and then beveled it. I also deleted the rivers so they would take the same effects as the coastline once in PS, but i could just edit the coastline to do the rivers. Did the PS because i considered it would be faster.

I found a problem with CC3 bevel: i couldn´t get the light to be too dominant and making the map to look like it´s being iluminated. I could get it with PS, meaning i could give a 3D effect to the coastline. Probably it´s more due my ignorance and i´m sure that can be done.

Finally, i drawed in black the ripples and then give them transparency until the effect was satisfying to me. Added some white to give more depth feeling.

Check one image about the coastline with different effects on and off (full effects, no bevel, no effects).
  • this is absolutely beautiful!!! what style did you use to make it, if you don't mind my asking? parts of it look like Herman Weilink, but I'm not sure...
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Wrote it in my first post, i used the DeRust style but combined textures and symbols from other annuals, mostly HH but also Scorching Sun, Mike Schley and some more. Why restrict myself to a single annual if there are many wonderful ones?

DeRust style, for example, don´t have pines symbols so i used HH ones and couldn´t be happier with them. Plus some annuals blend together wonderfully....I made myself some few symbols aswell and changed some. The windmills you can see at the West in this section of the map are made using the DeRust lighthouse base so they fit with the map style.
  • 1 month later
  • Wow! This is really incredible!! <3
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Yes, I missed this as well. Think I must have been a bit busy doing something over at the Guild when this thread was new.

Fantastic personal style, Medio :)

I think I prefer the coastline on the second version. The first is a bit weak, and the last is just a tiny bit overpowering. Not entirely keen on the embossed/etched look of the lines around the coast. Maybe they would be better without the 3D effect?

Which of these symbols did you draw yourself?
  • FarsightX3FarsightX3 Traveler
    Great looking map. The textures are very nice!

What Annual is DeRust in?
  • Annual 8 (2014). CA81 and CA84A (expansion)
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: LoopysueYes, I missed this as well. Think I must have been a bit busy doing something over at the Guild when this thread was new.

Fantastic personal style, Medio :)

I think I prefer the coastline on the second version. The first is a bit weak, and the last is just a tiny bit overpowering. Not entirely keen on the embossed/etched look of the lines around the coast. Maybe they would be better without the 3D effect?

Which of these symbols did you draw yourself?
    Thanks! :)

The coastline image was just for showing how i worked it; agree on the bevel not looking good at that scale, but on the overall map looks great to me; actually it´s one of the things which give the map an "ancient" look which i was looking for and something i will keep using due it.

My own symbols... let´s see. Some village icons - the wooden palisade ones, the hut ones -, some caves, the waterfall, the statues on the mountains, the windmills whichs are based on the lighthouse symbol...

Things i would do different now that i´m watching it again: the forest shape and probably the forests themselves. Some symbols size, villages specially. Things i will try to improve on next map of the series, which should be ready by mid June.