Peasant's Cottage (Community Mapping Project)

This is going to be the basic peasant cottage that I am going to implement in my campaign world and I am offering it up for the Community Mapping Project as well. This would be the structure that would dominate in my shanty towns and farming villages. The next level up would be craftsmen and freeman houses followed by the top level housing owned by lords of the manor and royalty.

The peasant cottage is a one room structure with an elevated area for children reached by a ladder. The elevated area is to keep the children safer from the wilds of the night. The floors are compressed earth covered by straw for warmth. The mattress's are made from straw and the frames are the most basic wood construction. The social area is for meals and other gatherings. This area is often removed during the evening to allow for bringing in the animals the peasants look after. These include goats, sheep, chickens and other farm animals. During the winter it is almost never used because animals are kept inside all winter long. The cooking fire at the center of the room is used to cook food and smoke out pests. Cabinets contain tools, chests contain clothing, there is a well and a garden outside for water and personal food. There are also two relief buckets used for going the bathroom.

These cottages are scattered all over the countryside and the majority of people live in them in one way or another. Some have additions built for housing the animals without taking up to much space in the living area. Others have communal barns on the village grounds where people keep their animals. The most important animals however are still kept inthe family home. Some cottages are built out for special reasons such as makeshift shrines and resting places for the sick.

Comments