Transparent Symbols

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I can't find anything and this is really making this software difficult to use. Whenever I click on a symbol to place it on the map, all I see is a very hard to see the transparent outline of the symbol. I spend half the time undoing things because I can't get the orientation right.

Here is an example of what I mean ...

Comments

• ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Check your SYMBOLS sheet. It might have a transparency effect on it.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    For the old style vector symbols, it will always use an outline of the symbol on the cursor. This is not configurable unfortunately (other than turning it completely off, but that is definitively not what you want).

However, if you use the more modern raster symbols instead, they show up with the actual symbol at the cursor, instead of just an outline, and looks better in most cases too.
  • Doesn't look like house syumbol, but houses are on multiple layers. Make sure they are set to 'show all'. Symbol Definiiton has to be showing, not have an X in the middle check box to its left.
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>For the old style vector symbols, it will always use an outline of the symbol on the cursor. This is not configurable unfortunately (other than turning it completely off, but that is definitively not what you want).

However, if you use the more modern raster symbols instead, they show up with the actual symbol at the cursor, instead of just an outline, and looks better in most cases too.</blockquote>

I think this may be it. I went through all the symbols and some show up while others don't. Does this mean the whole "Modern" set is like this?
    Depends what you mean by Modern.

If you refer to Symbol Set 3: Modern, then no, it contains both vector symbols (these are old symbols from previous versions) and raster symbols (new with SS3 v3). If you refer to the specific style inside SS3 labeled as 'modern' in the filters, then yes, as this is one of the old styles in the package.

But make sure you start your map in the appropriate style. The symbols that shows when you click the symbol buttons depends on the style of the map. For SS3 floorplan maps, you should start your maps in the SS3 Modern Bitmap A/B styles to get the raster artwork.
  • I just need to keep at it then. This is so confusing.
    CC3+ (and add-ons) contains many styles, and each style contains a bunch of symbols, and the symbol catalog buttons will always load up the symbols appropriate to the current style. Some of these styles uses vector symbols (mainly the older styles, but there are some new ones that uses them too) while others use raster symbols. You'll normally spot the difference eon the symbols quite quickly, the vector ones are simpler and generally contains fewer colors, while the raster ones are far more detailed an generally nicer looking. For example, you can see that the vector image from your screenshot above is rather simple.
    Note that symbol buttons automatically loads the appropriate symbols for your map, but if you click the various add-on buttons this will also switch symbol filters, so it is recommended to always start a new map in the style you want, and don't click the add-on buttons, at least not in the beginning until you are more familiar with symbols and filters.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend you work your way through the manual. CC3+ is a complicated piece of software with a bunch of different concepts that can seem strange until you get used to them, and thinual explains the important ones.