White Screen of Blankness

Last night I was working on a large dungeon map. At one point I was adding a corridor and suddenly the map went completely white. I tried restarting CC3+, tried rebooting my computer, walked away until this morning and the file still shows only white. I've tried zooming in and out, and reseting zoom. Have tried only having common and one layer shown at a time.

Anyone have any ideas how I can trouble shoot this?

Comments

• Oh, I've also noticed that some of the symbols in the manager are blank/white as well. See attached.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Looks like it might be zoom level corruption. 2 things worth trying to start with:

- Try 'Zoom to all text' (View -> Zooms -> To All Text), then zoom to any text entity in the map. (Only work if there is some kind of text entity in the map)
    - Try creating a new map in the same size and style as this one, and do a Draw -> Insert file, and insert your old drawing into the new one. (For precise placement, type 0,0 on the command prompt when inserting it instead of placing it manually.)
    - Also, unless you have changed the autosave interval, the autosave shouldn't be more than 5 minutes old, if you still have the autosave from that map. CC3+ only keeps a single autosave, so if you have loaded other maps in the meantime, they may have overwritten the autosave.
  • Excellent, your first 'Zoom to all text' works. How do I now fix the zoom extents? Or do I have to do the insert into a new file? And might their now be entities well outside the map or such that I need to worry about?
  • Oh, and what about the blank symbols? They do not appear that way when I open another map.
    edited January 2018
    Try deleting everything outside the map border. Use Erase, select everything (by hitting A or right click and select All, and then hold down ctrl while drawing a selection window around your actual map (including borders). That should deselect your actual, but leave everything else in the map selected. And then you can hit do it. That should hopefully fix both the tools, and the zoom extents issue.

Note that the missing "symbols" are actually drawing tools, and they are drawn based on the size of your map, which is why they also disappear. You may need to close and restart CC3+ after fixing the map.
  • Ok, so I did that and 2 entities were picked. Saved, exited, problem persists. tried it again and found that 1 entity keeps getting picked but it doesn't get deleted... Can repeat it over and over...

Is that the screen? (it's sheet is hidden, all other sheets shown).

(Note, I really appreciate your help with this!)
  • When I do a list and select that one entity, this is the results...
    Can you upload your map here, and I'll take a look at it to see if I can find the culprit.
    Found it. You have a corrupt entity in your map. Your wall with entity tag # 21218 has a corrupted node. Try executing LIST on that tag number to check it yourself, then erase and redraw it.
    It is located inside the rectangle specified by the corners (680,2070),(740,2060).

Your map looks oddly familiar :)
  • Yes, it should be. I'm working on having the first several adventures ready for sale this summer. Will also have all the maps done by then too.

Not sure how you found it, but thanks, appreciate it!

If it interests you, I'd be happy to give you a copy of the maps or the Fantasy Grounds adventure when they are ready. Just as a thanks for your help here and all the good you do for the community.
    edited January 2018
    Posted By: LordEntrailsNot sure how you found it, but thanks, appreciate it!
    Experimentation and elimination really. Copule of tries narrowed down the problem to the WALLS layer, and then I divided your walls onto different layers and tested each in turn. Basically zoomed in to the problem. Once I ran list on the bad entity, the problem was very evident.
    If it interests you, I'd be happy to give you a copy of the maps or the Fantasy Grounds adventure when they are ready. Just as a thanks for your help here and all the good you do for the community.
    Thanks. I don't mind a copy of the map, but it is more for curiosity's sake. I suspect you make that map from a different edition than I play (I am a 2nd ed guy), and I believe there have been some changes since then (On second though, that doesn't really matter, I don't play that setting anyway, so I am not tied to any particular version of the map). I don't use Fantasy Grounds either though (I use MapTool form my VTT needs, but I only play face-to-face games, so the VTT solution is only used to connect my GM view on my laptop with a player view on the computer connected to the projector, so I don't use any features except displaying maps and moving tokens)
  • Actually, the map is pretty edition neutral, though I am basing it mostly on 2 ed.

Thanks again for your help :)
    You're welcome. Good luck with your map.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: LordEntrailsNot sure how you found it, but thanks, appreciate it!
    Experimentation and elimination really. Copule of tries narrowed down the problem to the WALLS layer, and then I divided your walls onto different layers and tested each in turn. Basically zoomed in to the problem. Once I ran list on the bad entity, the problem was very evident.
    Happened again. Is there a way to output the List command to a text file so I can search it? And do you remember what the error was so I can search the text file for it? Or some other way to search or programmatically find it?
    edited January 2018
    Yes. Just click the system menu in the blue output window and select either 'Save as' or 'save to clipboard'

You should be able to search for "NaN" or "Inf" (Second one will find some other lines with the word information in them too)

That worked. May have to do a little repair work to put things into a multi-poly, but that's minor. Thanks again for the help.