Basic question on Map Borders

OK, I'm new to this, but I can't work out where in the software I can modify a map border....

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The map border is an entity in the map like everything else, and can be edited with the same tools as you use for the rest of the map. Note that the map border is often located on a frozen layer that prevents it from being edited, so you may need to enter the layers dialog and thaw it first before you can edit it.
  • Thanks, I've worked out how to isolate the map border sheet and delete the border. How to add one back is beyond me at the moment...
    Basically, you just draw it. Most map borders just consists of a line around the map using some appropriate width and fill, or made from a few polygons. If you are going to extend your map, wath out for the SCREEN sheet though. On most templates, it contains a white polygon right outside the map border. This is used to hide entities that stick out from the map border, for example if you place a symbol halfway outside the map. This screen will also hide anything else you might draw in that area, including a new map border, so you'll usually want to delete this screen too, and draw a new one. The screen itself is just a couple of white solid filled polygons on the SCREEN sheet.
  • 1 year later
  • Hi Guys!

I need to reopen this thread as I have troubles with the Map Border: I'm drawing a Battle Map (Hideout in the woods) and even though I have these green lines that the template gives me as Map Border (see picture below) and the fillstyles are all set to be restricted to map border, they still are being drawn outside of the map.
    During the creation process it did not bother me that much, so I just ignored it. But now I want to print the map as PDF, and I did not find any option to omit everything outside the map border.
    As I read somewhere in the Forum, that there are white solids outside of the map border to hide everything that's extending over the map border, I added some of my own, but all that does for me is, that the print area still includes that sections, it's just totally white now.

What am I doing wrong/how can I fix this (or at least get it to print only the stuff inside the green lines...)

hanks a lot!
    Are the green lines on the correct layer? (should be MAP BORDER).

In any case, that won't magically fix the printing issue you have now. My recommendation there is to add the whithe screen polygons to cover up the parts outside the map border, then zoom in on your map so only the map is visible (you may even wish to resize the CC3+ window itself so the view window is the same aspect ratio as your map, so you can fill it), and then during print, instead of selecting to print everything, just print 'Active Window'
  • Thanks for your quick answer!

Just to be sure that the green lines are really on the right layer I put them there again via "change properties". When drawing now, It seems to work.

So for your quick fix: how can I ensure, that the active window has exactly the proportions I need it to have?
    There isn't a good way really, you just have to eyeball it. But it doesn't need to be perfect, it is just to avoid huge white borders, but if there is a thin line you won't notice the difference eon the printout.