Linux?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thank you, both :)

I will have a look for that thread. Currently accidentally logged onto Win 10 instead of Linux and trying to do everything at lightning speed. Something is automatically downloading, and has already eaten a good chunk of my BB allowance.

Another Win 10 update - despite having done everything to disable them! Aaaaaargh :(

This is why I want to go entirely Linux. I just need to work out how to install everything I need there first before I get rid of this wretched MS.... VIRUS!

Have to go.

Be back in a few minutes on Linux to do the search....
    edited December 2017
    I think I've found the problem here.

Mint Version 18.3 isn't listed as being supported by the latest version of Wine (Crossover), which is what comes with the Mint package (its one of the extra apps you can choose to install from the Mint software manager)

I will just have to carry on using CC3+ in Windows with the broadband switched off until they update Wine sufficiently to catch up with Linux developments. Mint is relatively new, after all.

(sorry about the oversized screen shot. I'm still getting used to how things work in Linux. CTRL+PRT SC doesn't work! LOL!)

It doesn't matter how many times I try to follow any of the instructions, I just get the same old thing with the majority of CC3+ .dll files not being installed or loaded.
    No worries.

At least I have a dual boot system. I just have to remember to disable my broadband before logging into my Windows partition to use CC3+

And at least when I log into Mint I can still access all the exported jpg and png files I created in CC3+ while I was working in Win 10 :)
  • Hi LoopySue,

I had the same problem with Mint 18.2. The version of Wine picked up by the Mint software manager from the default repository is quite old. However by following the instructions from the Wine website I was able to newer versions and then install CC3+ etc.

I don't know if you saw my attached notes from an earlier thread, or if they will help (Apologies for the duplication if you have already seen these.)

If I have a chance will try to install on my test laptop, which is running Mint 18.3, over the next few days and let you know how I get on, might be a bit of delay though as there are some other jobs higher up the list.

Best wishes,

Andrew
  • Print screen typically saves to a holding location in memory.

Open a graphic program like gimp or Irfanview, paste, and it will show up.
    Thanks Andrew :)

I had already found that, but no need to apologise!

It may be a couple of days before I get around to trying again. All this trying and failing is a bit tiring, and its not as if I haven't got a way of using CC3+ anyway.

Jim - maybe its because I pressed CTRL as well as PRT SC? Whatever, It didn't work. I had to right click the page and pick 'take screenshot' in Firefox, which is a very peculiar way of doing things, for me. It generates a temporary new web page and you have to download and save the image if you want to keep it.

Very odd indeed!
  • Yes, that is odd as I have, but not a recent version, used the method I mentioned above to prt scn in linux.
  • The Print Screen functionality will depend on how the Linux installation process has detected and set up the keyboard. It will have made a "best guess" unless you manually selected a keyboard to override this during the installation. This can be particularly problematic for laptops which often have non-standard keyboard layouts. On one of my laptops the print screen call is linked to the "function" key. Try looking at the keyboard settings in the system configuration to see what shortcut has been allocated, if any. You can change this to whatever you want. I can't give you chapter and verse instructions for the Cinnamon desktop as it differs somewhat to the Mate desktop I am using. You can also install various additional applications which give enhanced screen capture facilities.
    LOL! You've no idea of the very strange things that have happened, other than the expected outcome for some of the more common shortcut key combinations :P

CTRL+ALT+DEL, for instance brings up the log out/shut down option (I pressed it the other day when something froze on me, and I forgot I was in Linux). Hastily cancelled!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I just did a test install of the latest Linux mint, and with the current stable version of Wine installed (2.0.3), CC3+ installs and runs perfectly fine. The only manual intervention I had to to was that the shortcut put on the desktop didn't seem to work at all, so I had to use the file browser to browse to the location of fcw32.exe and launch it from there. This was due to wine not automatically adding itself to my path, and could be fixed either by editing your path to contain the wine install directory, or edit the shortcut to use the full path to wine.

Addons and updates also installs fine, no error messages or anything.

This was done under the current stable release of wine, and no additional stuff like winetricks or playonlinux, just plain vanilla wine.
    I did not test under the version of wine in mint's default package manager, as that was so old it starts reflecting badly on the mint distribution including that stuff.
    Well I've done something wrong to it then. I tried to uninstall the old version of Wine and I couldn't seem to get rid of it. That means I can't install the new version, since the webpage stresses that its best to completely remove any older versions before installing the new one.

When I'm a bit more au fait with Linux I may delete this partition and reinstall Mint, but this time I won't download and install the Wine package that comes with it, so that I can use the new version instead.

I'm hoping to upgrade the memory to 8GB RAM in the next month, so I will leave sorting this out till after that's been done.
    edited December 2017
    You should be able to find which wine packages you have installed by running the command
    apt list --installed | grep wine

then, you can use
    sudo apt-get remove packagename
    to remove the packages.

my commands to install wine was
    wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key sudo apt-key add Release.key sudo apt-add-repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/' sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install wine-stable

Note that this did not add wine to my path, so I recommend adding /opt/wine-stable/bin to your path

Then I simply right click on the installer, and did open with -> Other application. I typed the path to wine (you can also browse for it) in the text field at the bottom, and then hit the 'Set as default' button before hitting ok (Setting it as default means all windows .exe files would be opened with wine, which is reasonable.
    On first time run of wine, it will say it is missing some components, simply say yes and it will fetch and install them for you. CC3+ installer will then start and run as normal.

Since we set wine as the default, in the future you can just double click on exe files to start them, such as the update and add-on installers.

Note that the icon to launch CC3+ wine placed in your start menu and desktop will only work if you added wine to your path as I mentioned above. If you didn't do this, you will need to edit the shortcut and change the wine command to /opt/wine-stable/bin/wine instead to enable the shortcut to actually find the wine executable itself, but that is really a wine issue, not A CC3 one.
    Thank you for this, Remy :)

I still need to absorb some kind of 'system image' into my mind (learn a heck of a lot more than I have already) before I am confident enough to do all that super user stuff with the command lines.

I've only used 2 sudo commands to date, and they have been one-liners that other Linux users have given me to get me out of a mess each time.

As they say - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

I will eventually do this, but for now I am just trying to understand all the different layers and how things actually work in Linux ;)

What having Windows all these years has done to me is slowly robbed me of the ability to be in command of the situation.

If you take away too much of the control a child has over a situation, the child will grow up weak and utterly dependent on you - and that's what they've done to all us Windows users since 3.1. Even XP was an overprotective parent. Having Win 10 is equivalent to unwittingly choosing to live in a dictatorship, rather than in a free democratic state.
    edited December 2017
    Never be scared of the command line. It is your best tool no matter if you work in Windows, Linux or MacOS. On all three systems it is literally the difference between being locked in to do things exactly as the OS manufacturer wants you to have it versus having control yourself. Of course, never type anything into the command line either without knowing what the command does, always research each command first, especially commands provided to you by others.

This is one of the reasons I love CC so much, it has a command line :)
    That was one of the things that surprised me about CC3 when I first bought it.

Because of the Windows conditioning I've had for the last 30 years, though, I was (and still am) partly afraid to use it. If there's a button that does the same thing, then I use it rather than the command.

You all seem so very 'streetwise' about using commands that its very hard to describe the difficulties I have, though I am sure I am not the only person of average intellect you have ever met who is scared of the command line thing! LOL!

I think it should be recognised as a mental aberration, and given a nice easy-to-understand label, like 'Windows Disorder'.

Windows Disorder is a serious disability and requires patience to treat successfully. Thankfully there are lots of people here who seem to understand the problem and are willing to help in the small doses required so as not to frighten the patient in to total withdrawal - like you :)

Thank you, Remy :D
    edited December 2017
    Posted By: LoopysueBecause of the Windows conditioning I've had for the last 30 years, though, I was (and still am) partly afraid to use it. If there's a button that does the same thing, then I use it rather than the command.

You all seem so very 'streetwise' about using commands that its very hard to describe the difficulties I have, though I am sure I am not the only person of average intellect you have ever met who is scared of the command line thing! LOL!
    You're not. That's part of the evolving nature of computers and operating systems. From being a very technical thing for technical users, it has turned into something everyone uses every day, and as such, things needed to be both simplified, and made easier to use, and more difficult to break (Often to the annoyance of more technical users like me, and that typically applies to Windows and Linux alike). This is very visible in the evolution of both Windows and Linux. Today, many linux distros also make a point of hiding away their command line as best as they can, while Microsoft actually went the other way with Windows 10, making the powershell command line more easily accessible and at your fingertips in every explorer window.
    Microsoft cooked their goose when they rendered my 3 year old laptop useless to me.

Linux saved me. I would have dropped out of the online scene altogether without Mint.

I rarely bother to log onto the Windows partition any more. Worse - if I DO log onto my Windows partition the first thing that happens is it starts to automatically download something big that I can't stop it from downloading - presumably the next 3GB bombshell.

Quite apart from the fact that these updates have cost me a staggering £120 so far in over the limit broadband consumption, each time I get another one come in it only ever makes everything about ten times worse than before.

I think the new Linux habit of hiding the command line may be due to the fact that it scares the hell out of all us defecting EX Windows users ;)

They don't exactly hide it though. Its right there on the tray at the bottom of my screen whenever I feel brave enough to open it.
    edited December 2017
    No, I was surprised at how visible it was in Mint compared to a few other distros I've been testing over the last few years. This is probably one of the very big advantages in the Linux world, you can get the distro you prefer. It is still Linux at the core, but there are quite a few differences between the distros, some small, some big. With Windows and Mac, you only have the one choice. Of course, with all the distros to pick from, it is also easy for a beginner to get confused over what the best option to pick is.

CC3+ was very well behaved on Mint too, btw. With the exception of the font issue I mentioned earlier, I couldn't really tell the difference from working under Windows for the most part, so I think you will have a good experience once you get the latest version of Wine working. Of course, I only did some surface testing and capability testing on some more specific points, so there might be things I didn't discover, but it seemed like every important feature worked as they should.
    LOL!

I'm laughing at my situation - being stuck with an out of date Wine layer right now because of my own cowardice, even though you've just told me how to do it in line by line instructions.

I'm getting closer to sorting it out day by day, though ;)
  • Loopysue,

I have just successfully reinstalled FT3, CC3+ CD3+ SS1 SS3 Annuals 1,2,3,7,9 on a Mint 18.2 installation basically using Remy's instructions above. However there are a couple of variations you might wish to consider.

After "sudo apt-get remove x" use
    "sudo apt-get autoremove "
    This remove any packages that were dependencies of "x" and are no longer required. This ensures when you install a newer version of "x" it will also install newer versions of the other required packages.

After this consider using "sudo apt-get purge" to remove any old cached versions of downloaded software.

I then used the following commands, as suggested on the WIne HQ web site, for Mint 18 installation.

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'

Then
    sudo apt-get update

Then
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

After which everything installed as expected.

Good luck.
    Thank you, Andrew :)

I will try it all... eventually ;)
  • 6 months later
  • have read through this, thought i had followed the instructions but no joy: when i try to open the installer nothing happens. no error messages, no icon in the applications menu, nada. sifted through the ~/.wine/drive_c/... folders, don't seem that anything was installed.

i'm on linux Mint 18.3 using Cinnamon 3.6.7, kernel is 4.15.0-29-generic, wine-3.0.2.

anyone have any suggestions?
    I am sorry, teef, but I can't be much help to you.

Everything was working fine until the processor security scare and the subsequent updates. Now my Linux partition is about as useless as my Windows one. I can no longer open my larger maps (GIMP and Krita maps), and the system only has 1.5GB RAM available to the user. Consequently I have abandoned the Linux partition because most of my software is Windows anyway, and never use it.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable people here on the forum may be able to help you, though :)
  • sorry to hear the Linux didn't work out for you. been there, though in my case it was the reverse: windo$ became unworkable for me so i moved to Linux.
    i can't say the process hasn't had its serious potholes-in-the-road but overall i'm happy i made the transition. these days the only time i ever even think of windo$ is when i run into a situation like this: a win app that i really want to use and no linux version is available.
    I started the same way - Win 10 made a joke of my machine when the Creators Update came through last year, so I turned to Linux. Unfortunately both partitions are pretty useless these days. That happened 6 months later in the early months of this year, when the security updates to the processors came out, and slowed my machine down to just 50% of its previous speed. While that's not a complete disaster, I have actually started to become far less efficient and very chaotic in my working because there's too much time between things happening - too much time to sit and think and get distracted by other ideas. My imagination works too fast for the laptop to keep up with me now.
  • Strange as I am currently running CC3+/FT on Linux Mint with just a few minor issues as noted above. Other than using Mate desktop rather than Cinnamon my setup is very similar. (And I am sure I used Cinnamon on MInt 18.1)
    Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64 bit
    Kernel 4.15.0-29-generic X86_64
    Mate 1.18.0
    Wine 3.0.2

So no idea what the issue might be unless it is something specific to Cinnamon, but I am not convinced on that.

When I was experimenting I did find that I needed to completely clear out any old versions of Wine, before installing a different one, and once that lesson was learned I did the same for any left over filestore from failed installs of PF programs. It might be worth checking if you have a similar issue.

Once Wine is installed I could then just right click on the exe installation files and choose the top option "Open with Wine installer" then let everything go through on the default settings. You will be prompted to install Mono etc, just say yes each time.
    Sorry can't be any more help than that.

At the moment I am just upgrading to Mint 19. I will let you know if I succeed in CC3+/FT installing again. However that won't be for a little while as I have other thing to install and configure first which are a higher priority for various projects.

Andrew
  • "... Once Wine is installed I could then just right click on the exe installation files and choose the top option "Open with Wine installer" then let everything go through on the default settings. ..."

thank you for that. just curious, did you need to do anything with PATH?

thanks for the thought regarding old versions, etc. this is my first crack at Wine so that won't be an issue.
  • 6 days later
  • Hi teef,
    You may have now succeeded, if so congratulations, but in case not :-

Apologies for delay. Main and backup PCs now successfully upgraded to Mint19. Of course on the way I realised there were various things about my set up that should have been done differently so changed those along the way as well which increased the time taken.
    Anyway, the way I upgraded meant that I retained the PF programs on my main PC and didn't need to reinstall them, which was a bonus. Once I installed the new version of Wine it just picked the existing set up and ran as before.
    On my backup PC I started from scratch. I pretty much followed the sequence I documented earlier in this thread to install CC3+ and latest update , which completed then ran CC3+ expected. I haven't tried various addons or annuals, but have no reason to think there will be an issue.

I didn't need to do anything with PATH or anything else. Everything was just a case of accepting as defaults, so I am not sure what your issue might be.

All I can do is stress that, in my experience, you need to make sure you completely delete any existing WINE components from your system before you start, including anything that might have been generated by a previous failed set up. Ideally also delete any filestore previous set ups may have created e.g. Z: drive.

The web pages at WINEHQ are quite detailed for Ubuntu and Mint, so if you follow these you should be OK. Reinstall WINE using the instructions at WINEHQ, not through the Mint Software Manager, as the version available through WineHQ seems more up to date. I used the "stable" branch, this has proved successful so far. I didn't bother with things like "PlayonLinux". If you then open your file manager and right click on the CC3+ installer you should see an option to "open with", select this, choose Wine Installer and the installation process should run in the normal way. Just accept various defaults including install Mono etc where prompted. This should complete and allow you to launch CC3+

I don't know if that helps.
  • hi Andrew, thanks for the follow-up. as it happens, no, i did not get things working but i'd still like to.

i'll try getting rid of my current Wine installation and starting over from scratch as you've suggested. hopefully that will do good things. either way i'll report back in a few days.
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
    If this helps i had a go at doing an install of cc3+ using mint version 19 , this is being run under parallels on my mac and i found that it wasnt as fast as running under crossover but was quite usable

after the default 64bit mint install and the adding of the parallels drivers and the mint software upgrades everything seamed to go as expected.

wine was installed using the following command lines:-

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list (in my case mint was built on “bionic”)
    wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
    sudo apt-key add Release.key
    sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable -y
    wine --version
    winecfg
    wineconf - set to windows 7
    sudo apt install winetricks
    winetricks
    install c++ 2015 runtime

it was then just a matter of installing cc3+ normally by right clicking on the executable and doing an open with "Wine Windows Program loader"

Hope this helps those of you who want to try running cc3+ under linux

Rob