Regional-to-Local: Randym Region

DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
So... I'm in the middle of making a 3-part video tutorial on how to make a local map from a regional map. That is, I'm showing how to copy a portion of a regional map, paste it into a new local-scaled map, and then edit the result into a local map. I was hoping to have it all done before now but Real Life™ has intruded so I'm still working on the videos.

In the meantime, I thought I'd post the regional map I'm working from. It's a little whimsical and I thought I might as well post it here. I've made a couple of other video tutorials and I usually slap together a quick map for the video, tailored to the topic. These maps (if you can call them that) are usually pretty bare-boned. I did the same here. I had no intention of making a complete map.

But...

As I started to add a few touches, I got a little carried away. I'm sure you know how that goes. I ended up spending a little time here and there, adding to it over the last couple of weeks whenever I could spare a few minutes, and before I knew it, I had a complete map. I'm a little bummed because I haven't made any maps this complete for my actual game world! Still, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out and I thought I'd share it. I initially planned to share, both, the regional and local maps after I posted the videos but, since it's going to be a little while before I get the videos done I thought I'd post the regional map now. The local map is going to be of Andr Isle (at the mouth of the bay), and I'll post that once I'm done with the version I'm making in the video.

This was fun to make, and it has plenty of adventure hooks and untold stories, so maybe I'll be able to find some, er, random location on my game world where I can fit it in. I hope you like it. As always, comments and criticism is welcome but the map is finished and I didn't really set out to perfect it, so it's going to have plenty of flaws that I probably didn't bother with. However, if people want to point stuff out and offer comments and suggestions, that can can always be helpful.

Cheers,
~Dogtag

(Click the image for a high-resolution version, or click HERE for a very high-res version.)

Comments

• I actually like this map and could see using it in a light-hearted game. In fact, the names just beg for the cartoon style. :)
  • DogTag,

Awesome! And, sir, I wish to thank you well in advance for your regional to local project. I soooooo need that :)

So, thank you indeed.

Cal
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Wow, you actually make maps? Didn't think you had it in you :)
  • Love the names - reminds me of Profantasia!
    Look forward to the video. And Monsen, dogtag sure can make maps - this one's great.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2017
    Monsen half-joked:Wow, you actually make maps? Didn't think you had it in you :)
    I know, right? That's what's so tragicomic about this. It's more detailed and more complete than any map I have of my game world. :-<

I think it might've been easier to make this map because I wasn't trying to make something specific, you know? I was just putting stuff down where I thought it made sense, naming [most] things in ways that [mostly] made sense to me. I wasn't recreating a hand-drawn map that had to look just right or capture the mood or atmosphere exactly the way I wanted. And there were no consequences to whether or not this map turned out well. Hopefully, someday [soon!], I'll be able to actually make maps for my game. Then I can take a little more care with the maps, too. Of course, I've been saying that for, what, over 20 years now?  :-<:-<
    Quenten kindly wrote:Love the names - reminds me of Profantasia!
    Look forward to the video. And Monsen, dogtag sure can make maps - this one's great.
    Thank you sir. I have no idea what "Profantasia" is, but you're clearly fond of it so I'm grateful for the comparison. Also, thank you for your confidence in my map-making, despite the lack of evidence. Ha ha ha. You're very kind.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2017
    Posted By: DogtagI know, right? That's what's so tragicomic about this. It's more detailed and more complete than any map I have of my game world.
    I have similar problems, so when I wrote the updated tome, I decided to use maps from my game world, thus hitting two artificial birds with one stone. I ended up with great new maps for my campaign, and I had some real toughs and care about the area, which IMHO produced far better maps for the 3+ tome than the ones I had in the 3 tome.
    I have no idea what "Profantasia" is,
    here
    edited November 2017
    Ah, right! Who can forget "Jim Pese Wastes" or "The Anomie Coalition"? Ah, well, I guess I did. But not really; I just didn't remember the name of the map itself. I remember Quenten's brilliant homage now! High praise, indeed, being compared to that. I'm not worthy. :D

And I think I remember you mentioning that you used the Tome3 as an impetus to create maps for your world. You're right, the new maps are a great change/addition to the Tome.
  • Love that emoticon bowing down. Where do you get them! And Lake Lomun reminds me of Lake Lomond, where we went on a cruise on our sojourn in the UK recently
    Sorry, I'm afraid my inspiration for the lake's name was far less cool.

As for the emoticons, that would be telling. Again.  ;) [-X :-$

Muah-ha ha ha ha!  >:D
  • Well imagine my surprise when I returned from our mountain cabin and internet service to find Dogtag actually posted a map!!! Great stuff, sir! So glad to SEE :)
    Thanks, but this isn't the only map I've ever posted, you know. Granted, I seem to be on a 4 – 5 year schedule, but I did post a map back in 2013, too.  :D
  • Posted By: DogtagThanks, but this isn't the only map I've ever posted, you know. Granted, I seem to be on a 4 – 5 year schedule, but I did post a map back in 2013, too.:D
    Better watch yourself there. Don't want to burn out.

(Writes the guy who's posted exactly two maps in two years... #whistles...)
  • 22 days later
    edited December 2017
    This is just a note about the video tutorials I mentioned and my less-frequent presence on the forum. My original aim was to get these video tutorials done by Thanksgiving but I ran into some scheduling problems with work, so I posted the map above in the meantime and was hoping to have them done by Xmas. But, then... a couple of weeks ago, Bargo (my dog, a giant 10-yr-old Yellow Lab named after an NPC in my campaign!) tore his CCL, the animal equivalent of our ACL. He had surgery this past Monday and everything seems to have gone well :D but recovery from the surgery is pretty long and hard, and the first two weeks are especially difficult as the pooch recovers from the trauma of the surgery (they cut off the top of the tibia, rotate it, shave it a little to create a more stable angle with the femur, and then screw in a metal plate to hold the tibia together). He's powering through it because he's pretty obstinate, but we've got 8 – 12 weeks of recovery and physical therapy ahead.

So... yeah, sorry. I've been very busy juggling care for Bargo and work for two clients. I'm going to be on the forum less frequently for the next week or two and, although I'm still working on the tutorials, they're going to be delayed a little again. But they're over halfway done, so they're coming along. Just a little later than I wanted.

In the meantime, happy holidays to everyone, from me and Bargo!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Good luck there DogTag !

And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all as well.
  • Wow, ok, how did I miss this? Great looking map Dogtag! Sorry to hear about your dog, but I'm glad he's doing better. We've got five Pomeranians and one long haired Chihuahua where I live, and they're always getting into trouble. I look forward to seeing the videos when they're done.

And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you too!
  • I somehow missed this, as well! I really like the map. Very nice. And can't wait for the tutorial videos. Love your videos.
  • Happy Christmas, Dogtag (and the Dog, Bargo).Have a lovely day by the seaside - oops, you come from the wrong place. :D
  • 10 days later
  • Love the map. I could also use that tutorial!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Ok, now I KNOW I'm in an alternative universe!

Congratulations Dogtag!!! :D

Utterly splendid map.

Now you just have to do another one :P
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Loopysue. I was starting to think you and Ladiestorm were avoiding my post!  :))

But that's silly. Now I know it's just Ladiestorm.  :)):))

Thank you for the generous compliment. I am working on another one — the "local area" map of Andr Isle from this map, once I can find some time to finish these videos. Ugh.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • The more I look at this map, the more I like it.

I like the sense of seeming to look at it from a very great height. It has a grand scale.

-dennis
    Thanks for the kind words, Dennis. I'm glad you like it! For the record, it's the default Mike Schley style, with a few modified sheet effects.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • 1 year later
  • Hey Dogtag!

This is a really cool map, that I somehow missed! I love all of the unique little features... like the mountain island in the middle of the gulf, that you were able to put a village and tower on, and The Triangle, and what looks to be man made irrigation in one of the farming districts. I had never thought about doing that much detail, but I may have think about it for new maps.

I didn't mean to ignore this post, I just never saw it. Only reason I found it, was because I was doing a search on my own comments, to see where else I reserved for the Community Atlas.
  • Miss you on the forum Dogtag. That mermaid is getting VERY frustrated.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Yeah.

Hoping you are ok :)