FT3 - change or handle wrapping point

Hi Forum

I am new to FT, and to "actively mapping" in general. Using "Synthetic" world i managed to find a seed that i liked, and have started mapping using it. I do however seem to have a problem around the "wrapping seam". One vertical line on the map seems the be where the edges of the map are, and drawing around this gives... mixed results. Additionally, I can't seem to measure distances across this seam, as the measuring tool wants to measure around the globe instead (the long way).

As seen in the attached image i try to measure the distance between to points (red circles) across the seam. Also, in between the two points is a mountain drawn on the seam, at it gets these straight lines.

My questions are therefore:

1. Do anyone have any tips on how to draw in the vicinity of this seam? To avoid getting "straight lines".
2. Is there a way to move the wrapping seam?
3. Any other tips in how to handle wrapping seams?

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    On the Secondary tab under World Settings is "North Pole Position". If you set the Longitude to something other than 0, it will rotate the fractal function around, effectively moving the -180/+180 seam. It won't move any edits that you have made, unfortunately. I recommend avoiding that seam as much as possible, much like we have done here on Earth.
  • Ahh thanks. That easy. So basically put it in the middle of a sea i wont fill with land, and move it before editing there in case I need to edit it at some point, then move it back.

Also, anyone having luck with the Simple Create mode? Cant find any good tips on how to use it, and it seems to only recognize some of the colors i put in. Know of a tutorial? Now I found a random seed i sortof like, so not that big a deal I guess, but the help section is not very helpful. Is it this kind of stuff the "Tome of mapping deals with", or is that more on the discipline of cartography than the nitty gritties of the software? Considering a purchase.

Thanks again. Starting over :)