Splitting a map

I'm using CC3+ and am drawing up my first map. My character for AD&D has just been granted a Barony. I have most of the map drawn up but I've encountered a problem. When I save it as a JPEG it's at the farthest zoom. When I do zoom in everything is fuzzy. Is there a way to just grab parts of the map and print or forward it to the DM individually? When I'm zoomed it the map is looking really nice and I'm happy with how it's going.

Thanks for your time and hopefully there is a way to do this.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2017
    Hi drhippensteel. Welcome to CC3+ and the ProFantasy Forum.

When you save the map as an image (i.e., BMP, JPG, or PNG) there are two options for each. What you want is to select the Rectangular Section JPEG (or ... BMP or ... PNG) option. PNG will give you the best quality image but it is often a much bigger file size (in KB or MB) than JPG.

CC3+ will prompt you to select the area you want. Click one point to create a corner of the rectangle you want to save/export, then move the mouse to create the opposite corner and click. CC3+ will only save the area within your rectangle. I recommend you zoom in so you can control where you click your selection points.

For more information, check out Exporting Your Drawing starting on p. 47 of the CC3+ User Manual. You can easily open the PDF version of the user manual directly from within CC3+ by selecting Help>User Manual from the menu bar.

I hope that helps. Oh, and congrats on your barony — and for playing a real version of Dungeons and Dragons.  ;)

Happy mapping!
    ~Dogtag
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2017
    In addition to what Dogtag said above, remember that you can change the resolution the map exports in, this will provide a better ability to zoom on the image too (although a static image can never have the same zoom possibility as a map while still inside CC3+). To change the export size, simply click the Options button AFTER you have selected the right image file type from the dropdown in the save as dialog.

Like Dogtag, I also like to see that A in front of D&D. 2nd ed player myself, but 1st is also good.