Raoul Village

2»

Comments

• Thank Sue - that was really unexpected!

We'll have you creating maps of the Moon next!
  • This is my final version of Sue's village to include into the Atlas. Write up of notes of this werewolf village underway. Perhaps a site in the Dunor regional map, near the mountains?
    I need comments for improvements in next 48 hours, then it goes to Monsen.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited November 2017
    Posted By: WyvernThank Sue - that was really unexpected!

We'll have you creating maps of the Moon next!
    Well I couldn't leave you without anything to howl at! :D

I do hope you will be all right now-wooooo :D
    Looks great, Quenten :)

If anything might I suggest shortening the shadows on those trees and bushes just a little bit. They are smaller than the ones I had, so the drop shadow is a bit long.

Or you could make them bigger?

They should tolerate a bit of scaling ;)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: QuentenPerhaps a site in the Dunor regional map, near the mountains?
    Also a possibility. HadrianVI might be willing to modify his map and put in an additional small village symbol up there. Or maybe someone could do a local map of the area around your inn on that map, and put the village there, providing a better scaled map for the inn link as well, it is a bit tiny where it sits on that large map.
  • Good idea, I'll put the village near the Inn, and do a subregional map to include both (unless Hadrian beats me to it). I'll get back to you within 24 hours as to the dimensions of the subregion
    Great.

Maybe the village hides out in a clearing in the middle of that small forest near the inn? Wolves like forests.
    According to a Google search, "Wolf packs usually hunt within a specific territory. It is not uncommon for territories to be as large as 50 square miles but they may even extend up to 1,000 square miles in areas where prey is scarce. Wolves often cover large areas to hunt, traveling as far as 30 miles a day."

So a very large area of varying forest is probably best - especially if they need to be kept away from everyone else ;)
    edited November 2017
    50 square miles isn't that much when one talk overland distances though, just 7 by 7 miles. even 1000 square miles are just 32 by 32 miles. But I am guessing the werewolves living in these houses don't behave exactly as ordinary wolves. I am guessing they don't need to hunt as much for food as wolves for example, as they handle a lot of that NOT in wolf form.
    Probably about the size of that small forest you were talking about then :)
  • Monsen, I note on looking at the fcw for Dunor valley, that the hotspot for the inn is not there (though it is on the Browsing Maps link on the Atlas page.) Can you fix this please, so I can arrange the region to do. I will probably put the hamlet in the forest itself (about a 10x10 miles) and also do the village to the west of the forest (I already have one half prepared - see the Community Atlas - Diafiskes village thread)).
    hmm. That's an oversight. I'll fix it, but probably not in a day or three. Right now I am off to bed, and I am a bit occupied for the next few days. The exact location shouldn't matter too much for you as I assume you're going to figure out a proper placement on your local map when you have the main features laid down. There was never a symbol on the Dunor map, so the placement was a bit approximate anyway.
  • I have drawn out a 20x20 mile area on the Dunor valley map - it will contain the werewolf hamlet, the Drunken Bear Inn and a larger village.
    Gosh! I AM tired. I thought that said "lager village"! LOL!

Congratulations on the finished map, Quenten, and thank you so much for sorting that out :D
  • Loupe Zu aka Loopysue, will live in the annals of eternity (or at least the Atlas)
  • Sue, apart from CC3+ and CD3+, what else did you use in your original map? I have used your Trees and some CSUAC 2.0 symbols. I would like to send this to the Atlas.
    Here is my write up of your village.

Loupe Zu Village
    - With thanks to Sue Daniels (loopysue on the Profantasy forums) for allowing me to tinker with this map and enter it into the Atlas)
    A secluded forest settlement of werewolves, situated in the middle of the Wolfenvoger Woods by the Guadeloupe River. These werewolves are not inherently evil (or good) and have banded together for mutual support and protection against those who fear and seek to destroy their kind. During the Full Moon turning phase they keep to the woods and hope to bring down animal prey, though a decade or so ago, there was a tragic attack by one of their frenzied number (now executed by the leadership of the village) which resulted in 2 dead human adults and one teen, and the ‘turning of three of their children, now living in the village.
    The wolves live in separate accommodation, and mate with each other (or even wild wolves when in wolf form). They do not mate with humans, since the last time this happened, both mother and newborn died in childbirth.

Fitiarn Lord of Wolves: A grizzled old werewolf of huge stature and manifesting as an almost white wolf. He has a high sense of responsibility to his ‘family’, being personally responsible for turning three of the senior members. He has foresworn killing humans, and helps others to control their wild urges when in wolf form. He encourages his ‘family’ to seek out loner werewolves to either bring them into the fold, or hunt them out of the woods, for fear of antagonizing the already hostile humans around
    Freki Odin’s Wolf: One of Fitiarn’s ‘recruits’, and extremely loyal to him and his aims. He actively searches for other werewolves, but tends to kill them rather than persuade them to join Loupe Zu, as he feels it is now getting ‘crowded.
    Nuntis the Sunlight: Freki’s former girlfriend, and another of Fitiarn’s recruits. She is a golden-grey wolf, and has a rather nasty temper. Although she agrees with Fitiarn’s goals, she still harbours a grudge against him personally.
    Radalf the Red: A carrot redhead, Radalf is the third of Fitiarn’s ‘recruits’, but he absolutely delights in his weredom. He lusts after Nuntis, and mates with most wild wolves around (the progeny is pure wolf). He loves drinking, and often frequents the drunken Bear Inn to the east when in human form. He is also a bit of a practical joker, which led to his brief imprisonment in the lock-up in Runcibor some years ago, and only escaped when his friends sprung him from jail before he ‘wered’.
    Mingan the Grey: An elderly female, and the wise-woman of the group, skilled in herbal remedies and setting of broken limbs. She rarely smiles, and is quite gruff, but still kindly. She is the mate of Ulmar.
    Ulmar the Famous: before his transformation, Ulmar was a boastful would-be hero, earning him his sobriquet in mockery at the Drunken Bear Inn. Since his transformation, he is less boastful and more achieving, supporting his love, Mingan, and doing much of the defence work and foraging for the group. He still likes going drinking with his friend, Radalf, though, in the Drunken Bear Inn.
    The Three Little Wolves (Felan - male, Honiabala - female, Lowell - male): These teenage weres are the survivors of the attack that killed their parents and older brother 16 years ago. They have been cossetted and cared for by all the group, and so have become rather spoiled and careless with their actions while in wolf form. Mingan fears another tragedy, but Fitiarn, who loves these children as his own, shrugs off her concerns. Unknown to all except the two concerned, Felan and Honiabala have been having sex for over a year, and plan to run away together soon.
    Connor: A 34 year old brown haired were, Connor is a happy man, especially when working with his hands. He is responsible for most of the repairs to the buildings (and her erected 4 of them) and also loves to carve wooden toys for the three little Wolves (who have long outgrown them, of course).
    Ostanda: Blonde and Connor’s mate, and a superb cook. She prepares a huge feast for the entire group just prior to Full Moon, so all are well fed during the transformation and will so find it easier to control the bloodlust (so the theory goes!).
    Tiralu: A 29 year old black wolf and of swarthy complexion. He was an escaped slave from Dunor City, and so is very grateful for his changed circumstances. He still dreams of visiting his homeland in northern Ezrute, but seems happy to settle down here with his mate, Vilkas, and act as the group’s butcher – and there is plenty of game to be had – wonder why the surrounding villages find it so difficult to sight any game?
    Vilkas: Connor’s 27 year old brunette, and very fair of skin – a real beauty, with few scars to mar her skin (unlike the others, who have quite a collection each). She is the brew wife, and makes prodigious amounts of beer for her family. None for before Full Moon, but plenty after to celebrate their return to human form.
    Weya: A quiet, mousy brown 24 year old female with a harelip, which causes problems for her in both human and wolf form. Mingan has tried to repair the defect with only partial effect. The rest of the group look out for her, but she feels very lonely, and has no-one in her life to care for her, or to care about. Recently she has tried to strike up a friendship with Lowell, one of the 3 Little Wolves, but he has slighted her over her appearance many times. Recently, he seems to be taking a slight interest in her – but mainly because he feels shut out by his older brother and sister.

This is a chance for you to play the part of one of these werewolves, or perhaps as a new were yourself, just coming into the group, learning to cope with both the human and wolf interactions. Watch the TV series ‘Bitten’ for a new, non-evil outlook on werewolves.
    I would say "inspired by a map drawn by Sue Daniel" (please note, I am one of those rare creatures who has no 's' on the end of the surname ;) ) or something, since you have put far more work into it than I did!

For me it was just a 2 hour doodle I did on a frustrating afternoon ;)

The rest is great :D
  • Hope you like the map notes, and apart from correcting the name, the statement stands - without you, the map would not be. <3
    I will now send it to Monsen
    edited November 2017
    Oh yes! Sorry - forgot to answer the question!

I only used CC3+ and CD3. If you see signs of other add ons in the huge list of fills (and maybe in other places as well), that's because all my example maps are based on the one huge "kill-all" template file I have with everything in it to hand - including most of my more useful home made fills. I usually delete all the irrelevant fills before I upload an FCW, but in this case I think I forgot. You may want to go through the fill list and take out all the ones that don't apply, so the map is more manageable for others - especially newbies ;)

I may have deleted sheets that most people would feel a bit uncomfortable working without - like the original frame, so anything that strikes you as odd about the sheet list might need to be put right. I've become so extremely 'freestyle' in my technique that I'm a bit of a nightmare that way!

EDIT: Didn't see your last comment before I made this one, Quenten... Ok, if you insist! LOL!

The notes are great! You've created a community to go with the map. I love them :)