Computer completely died. No recovery possible.

2»

Comments

• edited October 2017
    There is a new app coming soon for Win10 that looks better than movie maker called Story Remix. Sounds like it will be part of the Photos app. It will be released with the Fall Creators Update. I'm downloading the update now for myself, but there are a still a couple of bugs that are showing up so hold out until Microsoft releases it to the general populace.

Glad that you're up and running again. :)
  • The new Win 10 Movie Maker (which is NOT an updated version of the old Win Movie Maker, but a completely separate entity with a confusingly identical-seeming name, apparently) seems to have attracted a HUGE number of really bad reviews from the moment it launched, right through till now, and I'd really advise checking through them first, because they provide information the program download description simply doesn't - like which types of file it DOESN'T handle, a pretty staggering omission in itself!

Story Remix has had mixed views in its beta versions so far, plus it looks like it may arrive "hidden" in your Win 10 Photos app anyway (there's a lot of uncertainty about all this, which MS has consistently only added to...). The overall impression seems to be that Movie Maker wasn't broken, so why has MS taken so VERY long still to not "fix it", which is both surprising and irritating for anyone who might have used the previous software, only to run into yet another MS Win 10 brick wall.
  • 10 days later
  • Hmm, can you put Pro-fantasy sofware onto a thumb-drive?
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    If you mean installing to a thumb-drive, you probably *can*, but it won't work on another computer, as it relies on the Windows registry.
    It *may* work in the same computer you perform the install, but honestly I haven't tried.
    Also, note that with CC3+ splitting the install in 2 separate folders, I think I remember the main components (the ones that install in C:\Program Files) do not give you the choice of changing the install location (but I may be wrong, and can't check at the moment).
  • You can have the install program do what I did, but I believe that unless you are good at computer workings, you shouldn't do it.

I did it like this:

C:\Profantasy\CC3
    C:\Profantasy\CC3Plus
  • 1 year later
  • Sorry Tony, apparently you lost your laptop during one of my absences, so I didn't see this post. I see you ended up with a Lenovo ideapad. That's what I have now, got it last year when my cat fried my motherboard. Although I have a 320, with an AMD A12. I have the same terabyte hard drive, though!

One thing I started doing, is keeping all of my needed files, on an external hard drive. For example - I have cc3+ installed on the computer, but each and every fcw I work on, is saved on my external drive. That does mean I have to remember to take my external drive where ever my laptop goes... but everything I do goes on the external. That way, if something happens to my laptop again, I haven't lost anything.
  • LadieStorm: Are you also keeping backup copies of the external drive? Because honestly, in my 25 years of experience in IT, the external drive is more likely to suffer accidental damage than the laptop itself. A single point of failure is a single point of failure.

There are a lot of easily (if not inherently) automated backup systems out there, many of them free.
  • Myself, I don't trust cloud services very much. I have several external USB hard drives for my backups.
  • A cloud service can also be a single point of failure, and thus, also cannot be trusted to be your only backup. I keep most of my data files on Google Drive, which isn't really a backup service but does keep old versions. But I also keep complete system images[1] on an external drive (which I have used twice in the last year and a half). If I were doing any kind of business on that computer, I would alternate between two (at least) external drives, one of which would be kept off-site.

[1]This is completely automated. All I have to do is leave the computer on when I go to bed at night. If it's off in the morning, the backup was successful.
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    It's all about how important the data is to you and how much of a deep dark festering pit of doom you'd be in if you lost it. This will drive how much time, effort, and money you can spend on it. My favorite options are:
    1) Local NAS
    2) Local portable USB drive
    3) Hosted web service that I can FTP to
    4) Some PowerShell RoboCopy to automate some copy things around
    5) Beyond Compare for those times when I think I I've fouled up the synchronicity bad enough I need to take a deeper look