The meassurement of stuff

I am building a map (for a reenactment faire), where the participants bring their own tents. To make room for everybody and place them correctly, I want to make a map with movable objects representing the different tents. In order to do that, I need to set the precise meassurement for the tent symbols.

My question is: can I set the meassurement for a box or a symbol numerically? E.g.: draw a box, that is precisely 5 X 6,5 m?

I have set the scale of the map (a screenshot from google maps with added lines), so it meassures correctly.

Comments

• HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Hi,
    you can add a grid to your map with each box being meter and add halfpoint snaps.
    Also, in the menue bar there's a button called "Info" where you can select "distance", which let's you measure distances on the map.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Also note you can input most values numerically on the command line. For example, to draw that 5x6.5m box you are mentioning, simply click the box button to start drawing the box, then click in the map to place the first point normally, then finally, instead of clicking to place the second point, type in @5,6.5 and hit enter. (The @-sign means that this is a relative coordinate, relative to the point you first placed). I assume here that your map is scaled to one map unit equals one meter.