City of Sanctuary - version 1

124»

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thank you Hadrian :)

All those scattered multicolour buildings down at the bottom got left in the shot accidentally. I was playing around with the automatic buildings to see what I could do with the built in CD3 roof textures, instead of using any more of my own.
  • pixelkittehpixelkitteh Traveler
    edited May 2017
    This is so gooooooood wow I can't wait to see more, keep up the amazing work! <3
    Thank you pixelkitteh :)

I'm working on it ;)
  • Sue, those domes are insane!!!!! I LOVE them! I a so excited for this city to be on my little island :) And i can't wait till i've completed my project so i can get back to contributing!
    Aw thanks Lorelei :D

I can't wait to see more of your glorious maps here myself :D
    Aw thanks guys :)

Haven't quite got it right for another update tonight, but hopefully there will be one before the next day is out.
    This is just an extract so you can see the detail I've been working on. This is the Garden of Heaven - about a fifth of the top surface of the hanging gardens around the palace.
    If you will pay my travelling expenses, sure :P

I forgot the backstory for this particular bit of the city:

This is the Garden of Heaven, where the spirits of children who have been slain by evil may roam and find peace - Sanctuary from the ills of the world.

The grand gazebo is where grieving visitors to the palace may sit and be tended by the palace servants. The elaborate roof space houses a dove cote full of hand tame pure white doves. The water is yet to be worked on, but will flow through the garden and fall from the cliff in a (hopefully) spectacular waterfall. The map doesn't do it justice, but this is one of the most beautiful and peaceful parts of the city, and famed in its own right within the Hanging Gardens of Sanctuary.

For those on a personal pilgrimage seeking peace, there will be (In the large scale map) a pontoon traversing the lake at the base of the falls to a grand staircase built up the cliff at the side of the falls to the top - directly into the garden. There is a Buddhist-style chime column at the top of the ascent that may be rung for assistance, and to let the palace staff know they have guests to serve with freshly prepared food and drink - all organically grown within the Hanging Garden itself.
  • Your city needs an urgent visit from the 'good' brothers of Spiros - then we'll see about all this goodness! ;)
    Its been a few days, but I've been going through loads of things - planning, composition, getting the river bends right...

So this doesn't look like much, but it a start on pulling the whole thing together.

Today I learned how to draw city walls from the Tome, so I'm feeling quite pleased with myself - even if the city is so big that you can hardly see them :)
    Lorelei - you mention that in the southern part of Malajuri elves, dwarves, humans, halflings and gnomes live in peaceful harmony. I guess that means Sanctuary will be a cosmopolitan mix of all 5 races? That being the case I need to study the architecture of all these races and design the various districts within the city, since even in a cosmopolitan city you always get certain roads or areas where there is a higher proportion of one than all the others.

I imagine that the hanging gardens would be an ideal place for the Elves to live, since they are predominately a forest dwelling people and would be happier living in the densest patch of green in the city. Its also the seat of government for the city as a whole, and elves always seem to be awarded high levels of leadership, so that would fit. I don't think it would be too difficult to make the trees look like a green palace they had sung into existence, where... once within... you wouldn't even be aware of the rest of the city around you, but due to magic believe that you were in some secluded mountain valley forest. That would be their version of sanctuary.

Dwarves... now they only get on with elves on an individual basis usually, don't they? So it wouldn't do to have them living too close to the palace, or even in the rock beneath it. So I thought about having an area of the city that was mined into caverns below, where the greater part of their people live.

I know practically nothing about gnomes. Who do they get on with best, and what kind of dwellings would they live in?

What kind of halflings do you mean? Hobbits, half-human-half-something-else people, or something else entirely?
  • Well, i'd think the city more than likely at least 50% human and the remaining 50% mixed up within all the goodly races (elves, half elves, dwarves, gnomes and halflings - there might even be a scattered population of Dragonborn or Tiefling. The majority of Dwarves live at Mt Dendorlig, the elves in the forests of Velethuil and the gnomes in burrows around the Elderwyld Grasslands. However, the city, since its founding has managed a nice mix of races within the city proper

Of course, i based Malajuri on my history and love of Dungeons and Dragons and the settings such as Faerun and Krynn. But really, it could be anything you want it to be. I don't care to put any labels, per say, on these maps....it's not MY home-brew - so i have tried to keep it as generic as possible so all mappers can bring their own flavor to it. There's really no story here to follow....so just do what feels right to you....however, if you really want specifics on these races, I suggest checking out a wiki page on D&D Faerun - you cannot imagine all the information on those particular races you'll find :)
    Thanks Lorelei. Its worth going to have a look anyway :D