Removing a polygon within a polygon

Hello all,

New to the forum, and new to the program. I love it so far.. So I am using DD3 currently and trying to basically erase a portion of a polygon at the middle. Think like removing a small square section of a large square. In photoshop or gimp it would be like creating a selection in a layer and pressing delete.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Damon :)

Welcome to the Profantasy Forum.

What you are describing is what we would call a 'mulitpoly'

If you draw a second polygon representing the square hole in the first polygon, and then use the 'multipoly' button on the right hand side - the one with the two squares on it, then select both the polygon and its hole, then right click and ok, you will have your polygon with a hole in it :) Be aware that the multipoly will be created on whichever sheet you are on at the time it is created.

You might also need to be aware that multiploy will behave slightly differently to a normal poly. You can't trace them for one, and you can't use the move node tool on a multipoly either, but its easy enough to edit the shape a bit if you have to, though you would need to break the multipoly apart using explode (which is available in the drop down menu if you right click the fractalize button on the left of the screen). Once you have edited it, its just a case of re-doing the multipoly again as before.

I hope that helps :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    You also might want to check out this incredibly useful post and tutorial/essay about multipolies by Joachim de Ravenbel.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thank you for that. Multi Poly is very cool!

Now let me ask you this. How would I go about combining two polygons so that they actually become one (not grouped as one, but are one). Imagine I fill two polygons in the shape of an L. Then I explode both polygons so that only the skeleton frame is now showing. You would have two different rectangles in the shape of an L.

Is there a way so that both could be combined, to where the frame itself shows as an L?

If I could do this it would allow me to say have a square room with a round alcove in it. That round alcove will actually have a seam in the fill where the two shapes meet, even though they are using the same fill (it shows in flagstone horribly). If I could combine them into one polygon/shape it would allow me to fill the floor with no visible seam.

I included a pic so you see what I mean. The left L is two polygons. Middle is the two exploded polygons. Right L I hand drew using the line tool (but it would be ideal if I didnt have to). The filled section on the right is the example of the floor mismatch..

Hopefully I made sense. I am very excited to use this program, to the point I "ramble" a bit.

Thanks!
    Damon
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited May 2017
    Sure. Explode the polygons. Delete any parts you don't need. Then, right-click the Explode button and choose Path to Poly from the pop-up menu. Follow the prompts in the command line.