Continent: Harrondor Game Campaign Map WIP

2»

Comments

• Honestly, I preferred the red outlining. The brown looks a little too "ordinary" to me. But that's probably just me!

Can appreciate the difficulties in setting aside your training. Maps, especially those used for gaming, do sometimes need alternative thinking though - places may need labelling in specific colours for clarity, for example, and font styles may have to fit within an overarching document style, if you're trying to link with published products sometimes (even when for private use, if, like me, you're an awkward sort...).
  • edited May 2017
    Ok, final version. Now all I need to do is write out the backstory. Thanks so much for all the help, guys.

One weirdness I'm noting: when I try to render out rectangular PNGs from this map, no matter where I draw the selection lines, it ignores that and selects larger rectangle areas. Probably something I've done with the border. I erased it somehow :P

Anyway, I hope everyone likes it.

Cal

PS: I had to draw the navigation lines myself. Couldn't find one in my catalogs except for the Sarah Wroot (SP?) one, but that was purple and it wouldn't allow me to change the color :P
  • I also draw my own navigation lines. Tip from Monsen: make the lines a width greater than 0.0, say 0.01, so they show up well in your hi-res PNG.
  • Do you have 'crop image to aspect ratio' in the options lower right of the Save As window ? This shows up only when you select a graphic output. If you just change the filename to a different one, file01.fcw to file02.fcw, then the option button doesn't show the 'aspect ratio' selection.
  • I love this map! You've done a great job with making the coastlines look realistic and the way you have made the colors look is fantastic. I also like the sound of the names and your labelling is done well. Great Job!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hey! Curly Text! I love it :D

A real beauty of a map ;)

About the rectangular section export thing:

Have you checked that the proportions of the export you set up in the options dialogue match the proportions of the map?

For example - if your map is twice as wide as it is tall, then the proportions would be width 2 : height 1, which you could express in pixels of any number in the options box, as long as the width is always 2 x the height (2000:1000, 10000:5000 etc)

If its not the same proportion, then CC3 will add the extra onto the rectangle you select, so that you will always have a white border at one end or at the top or bottom.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2017
    Posted By: LoopysueIf its not the same proportion, then CC3 will add the extra onto the rectangle you select, so that you will always have a white border at one end or at the top or bottom.
    This is what the setting JimP mentioned, crop image to aspect ratio, is for. It will ensure that only the area selected is exported, without having to calculate the ratios exactly for the export (Which is difficult if you do a freehand rectangular section)
  • This is really awesome I absolutely love it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: LoopysueIf its not the same proportion, then CC3 will add the extra onto the rectangle you select, so that you will always have a white border at one end or at the top or bottom.
    This is what the setting JimP mentioned, crop image to aspect ratio, is for. It will ensure that only the area selected is exported, without having to calculate the ratios exactly for the export (Which is difficult if you do a freehand rectangular section)
    Ah ha...

There you go, Calibre - we both learned something new :)

Thanks Remy :D
  • Great, thanks JimP, Monsen and Loopysue for the answer. I'll check it out asap.

Thanks pixelkitteh and Tonnichiwa, it's been a lot of work, vision, revision, etc. Just need to tweak a few forests, I think heh.

Now, onward! to Fenlon regional maps of this map muhahahahah :)

Cal
  • Very nice. I like it a lot.
  • I should explain:

Archandus is a world of ancient Gates (in the style of Andre Norton, no less) that allows races from all over to port here. Once here, they are stuck and develop their cultures on this world. Harrondor is the southern continent and the only one I've mapped and written background on. Anyway, it's been a fun project to bring my game vision alive for my players.

Thanks for all the advice from you guys. I really appreciate it.

Cal