CD3 tutorial

2»

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Okay, here is the first CD3 map I have created after reading much in these threads and following the wonderful tutorial offered by Gandwarf! Please critique the effort. I will be making changes as I learn different things. The very next thing I want to do is add elevation above the curved road on the north end of the map. Not sure how Im going to do that yet. I read the means to do it somewhere in these threads. And... add a cemetary to the south.

Photobucket

Hmmmm... the jpeg doesnt do it justice.
  • I will have a look at it later, I am not on a PC right now where I have CD3 installed.
  • Great Map, i would have to say the only thing kinda weird is the footpath to the south that leads to just a patch of trees. IDK if its an artistic idea in which case thats yours to decide for. But just my personal opinion, otherwise outstanding, it blows mine out of the water
  • Very nice work Jhaelin. I see you followed the tutorial but then added some of your own stuff, like fractalizing the water. I really don't have much critique. I am going to start some work on a tutorial on larger cities now, seeing I have an audience.
  • Part 7 of the tutorial is up. In that part of the tutorial we will:

- Sack our village! Burn it down and destroy it. Slaughter the peasants. But from the ashes a walled city will rise.
    - Create a sea and river
    - Create walls to hold a city
    - Create stone roads
    - Create a round keep
  • Part 8 is up:

- Add houses sharing walls
    - Add a stone square
    - Add some docks with custom effects
    - Lay down some more roads
    - Add some warehouses
  • Part 9 is up, this is the city at the moment:
  • edited January 2009
    Part 10 of the tutorial is up, it wraps up the map and it will be the last part for now. The tutorials took many hours to create and I am tired :)
  • Thanks for the input. The path to the south Maddog is for an upcoming cemetary, if I can find some symbols for it. And the winding path to the north will be going uphill to something... a couple of creative things I want to work on.

yeah, great help with the tutorials Gandwarf... I know it takes some time to do and you can know it is appreciated in what little form I can offer, which is to utilize it.

Thanks for your help. I will begin the latest round of tutorial parts as soon as I can...
  • 10 years later
  • This is a bit necro, but, I've been going through the CD3 tutorial and I've run into a problem. I'm in part three where we change the texture of the bridge from `CD3A_Dirt1` to `CD3A_Stone1` only in my copy, I don't have any CD3* textures showing up, only `CD3A_Dirt1` and a large selection of textures with names like... `Boxes`, `Brick`, `Rock Fill` or `Solid 60`. I'm sure it is really straight forward matter of loading the textures somehow, but I've tried loading the FSC files, a few random "import texture" options, but no joy. Any suggestions?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think this thread is possibly so old that its fossilised, but hey - if its the only one that seemed to fit the bill...

If you create another brand new CD3 map from whichever one of the CD3 templates you wish to use, does it have all the missing fills in it?

If it does, then a fast 'kill all' cure that will catch everything (including anything else that might be wrong with the existing drawing, but which hasn't raised its head just yet) might seem to be to delete everything from the new file and then copy and paste your work into it.

However, if the templates themselves appear to be missing the fills the problem might go deeper than that, and a request to Tech Support might be necessary.

But lets just find out if the templates are ok first :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited September 2019
    If you haven't done it before the copy and paste method to get everything lined up properly is this:

1. Make sure you have everything visible that you want to copy, and initiate the copy by picking Edit->Copy from the Edit menu (or pressing CTRL+C). Select everything by dragging the selection rectangle out over the whole lot of it, and right click and do it.

2. Look at the command line at the bottom of the screen. It will be asking you for a copy origin. So that you can paste the copy in exactly the same place in the new file, type "0,0" (zero comma zero) on your keyboard and press enter.

3. Wait for all the pink highlighting to vanish. This signifies that CC3 has finished copying.

4. Go to the new file and make sure all the sheets are visible, then delete everything. This is to make sure that you don't end up with duplicate screens and backgrounds etc.

5. In the new file pick Edit->Paste. and when the command line at the bottom of the screen asks you for the paste origin type the same origin coordinates as you gave for the copy operation - "0,0".

6. When your map appears press ESC to get rid of the ghost copy attached to your cursor.