Maps

Here are 6 continents I have done. This is not one canvas, some are 3x3 and 3x2. I edited them in photo shop.

Comments

• Thank you, What do you think of them?
  • These are excellent!!!. I've seen many, many wonderful maps over the years but I love these more than any. Why, you ask? Because they are maps of High Fantasy . While the maps styled after historic cartographic styles are beautiful and make me wish I could create such masterpieces, these maps bring out the fantasy adventurer (and the DM) in me.

I want to explore the Ice Rock Caverns, slay the evil that lurks in the Raveneye Crypt, and wonder to what depths the Forsaken Abyss leads.

My heart beats fast when I look at these. Thank you so much for sharing! It inspires me to update some of my old maps to CC3.

Bravo!
  • Thank you Shessar!!!I If you like to play MMORPGS, maybe you will see these maps once again!
  • Alas, the only online gaming I've ever done was as an Assistant DM / Builder for NWN. I built most of the NWN1 North Underdark regions for A Land Far Away and am signed up to build for NWN2...but haven't had the time to learn the new toolset. http://www.alandfaraway.org

But that is another story and quite off topic.

It looks like you have only used the pngs and fills from CC3. Would you be willing to share the fcw's of your maps for personal use? I am only several weeks of gaming away from expanding my world to new islands and would love to incorporate your maps, if you are willing. My world is one of many, many islands (taken from a line in the song Lee Shore by David Crosby 1969)

a hundred thousand islands
    Flung like jewels upon the sea

If you would rather not share, I understand. This is just a friendly request from a DM stretched thin for time. :D
  • Very nice maps, Farsight. I particularly like the rocky/lava areas. I wouldn't want to live there, though.
  • I tend not to use contours for oceans, either. I might use a single contour, to suggest an arbitrary demarcation between shallower water close to the coast, and the deep water of the oceans.
  • FarsightX3FarsightX3 Traveler
    edited March 2008
    Posted By: ShessarAlas, the only online gaming I've ever done was as an Assistant DM / Builder for NWN. I built most of the NWN1 North Underdark regions for A Land Far Away and am signed up to build for NWN2...but haven't had the time to learn the new toolset. http://www.alandfaraway.org

But that is another story and quite off topic.

It looks like you have only used the pngs and fills from CC3. Would you be willing to share the fcw's of your maps for personal use? I am only several weeks of gaming away from expanding my world to new islands and would love to incorporate your maps, if you are willing. My world is one of many, many islands (taken from a line in the song Lee Shore by David Crosby 1969)

a hundred thousand islands
    Flung like jewels upon the sea

If you would rather not share, I understand. This is just a friendly request from a DM stretched thin for time. :D
    I would shessar but I would like to keep them for personal use so that I have proof that i did them. I want to use them for an mmorpg i would like to make. I am currently getting in the gaming degree as well. But if you like. I would love to make some maps for you. Just tell me what you want and names. If it doesnt matter I could make up something and name as well. I enjoy doing both. Its up too you =p
  • I can fully appreciate that you would want to keep these for personal use only. I also appreciate your offer to make up a map for me, but that isn't necessary. You've inspired me to try my own hand at it. Again, thank you so much for sharing!
  • i'm thinking i would like to live in siginaw or on molorious in the exodus wilderness...

nice job...thanks for sharing!
  • 9 days later
  • I am thinking about re-doing them =\
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Nice work, thanks for sharing. :) I'd probably try to mix up symbols a little more. You have these huge regions that basically only use one type of symbol. It looks more natural if you mix more trees into the hills/mountains and vice versa. Take a look here: Known World Map.
  • Yeah! I have seen that map before! It gave me inspiration to make mine more life like! Did you do that map Ralf? If you did, what was the dimensions you used for it? Thanks for your input =p.
    That map is 10,000 x 8,000 miles. That's huge though, it originally took a very long time to create (in CC2) and I later converted it to CC3. You've been warned. ;)
  • Dang! That is a great map! For mine, I used 3x3 or 3x2 or 2x2 1000x800 canvas sizes and edited it in photoshop. I wasn't sure how to make the declensions larger until I came on here. So I am not use to making one large map on one canvas. The only two problems I have when I do is, the outline of the continent and how to fill it. The maps I have made here are for an mmorpg I hope to create one day so I made them by "zone type" persay. I don't have the mind set for a real life map such as the known world with a nice flow you have there Ralf. I like how you made your own Hyboria =D.
  • Now, Ralf, did you use the default settings for each symbol? Or did you scale them to a larger size? Also how did you get a good resolution on your picture?
    The scale on that map is 2. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean with default settings. They are the default symbols from CC3.

For the export, I just made sure bitmaps were displaying at a good resolution (by zooming in), then saved the whole map as a jpg at something like 4000x3000pixel, then reduced that to 50% in an external bitmap editor (Paint Shop Pro).
  • 1 month later
  • For any reason what so ever do you think if there was ever a fantasy cartographer competition do you think these 6 maps could compete?
    *chuckles* That's a difficult question. It would depend very much on the competition and its participants. They are certainly worthy to be submitted to any type of fan contest to be sure.
  • Cool maps and a very thought out world :) Btw... is the Forsaken Abyss free to rent? Looks like this would be my place ;)
  • Posted By: sl701Cool maps and a very thought out world :) Btw... is the Forsaken Abyss free to rent? Looks like this would be my place ;)
    lol, It about a 7000 foot deep canyon hehe, straight down, no cliffs lol, you sure you want to live there =p
  • Yep ;) I´m afraid of light and might like what lives down there, hehe
  • Hey sl701, how do i download your symbol style you used on your maps? i couldnt find a link from that link they gave on your thread?
  • You have to subscribe to the Cartographer´s Annual (separate for 2007 and 2008), so you can enter the subscriber´s area, from where you can download the style (Pete Fenlon - was the first in 2008, IIRC). Maybe someone more proficient with the english language can desacribe it better to you.
  • Your Engish is just fine sl701.

All of 2007 is now available as a single zip.

2008 comes out once a month, and is one fee for all 12 months.