The Free City of Corvalin

Hello everyone. This is a try at a city using the Mike Schley gothic city style. I hope you enjoy.

Comments

• Very nice. I have a weakness for port cities, so I'm already thinking of backgrounds and adventures here. :)

The chasm to the east looks odd to me, though, in relation to the nearby cliff face. It makes me think the western side of the chasm has to be higher than the eastern, though I think that's not how the symbol is drawn. (?)
  • Hmm, it does sort of give that impression doesn't it. Well, I guess it just might be that way then. Maybe the crack is because of plate tectonics causing the land to rise at that point but stopped before it formed into full sized mountains? ... I dunno, just trying to give a reason for it. That is probably not a very good one.

I usually don't use the chasms in most of the map styles very often because they can be difficult to make them look natural. I guess this one is no different.

I had thought about making the ocean near the bottom too. I wasn't sure if I wanted the view as if you were looking out into the ocean from above the city on a mountain somewhere, or if I should have made it seem like you were standing on a boat looking into the city. Maybe I'll switch things around in one of my later maps using a city style.
  • AWESOME!!! Really nice work on the city....it looks like you drew it yourself and not at all placed city, town and village symbols down. Excellent map.
  • Posted By: TonnichiwaHmm, it does sort of give that impression doesn't it. Well, I guess it just might be that way then. Maybe the crack is because of plate tectonics causing the land to rise at that point but stopped before it formed into full sized mountains? ... I dunno, just trying to give a reason for it. That is probably not a very good one.
    Odd features like these beg for a fantasy explanation: "Long ago, when the orc hordes came, this was where the sea god's trident struck, sending them to their deaths in the bowels of the Earth. It's said you can still hear them screaming to this day..."

Or something like that. :)
  • Thanks Lorelei! I'm glad you like it. That was the look I was going for. I don't want people to think these are just stamps. So I try really hard to make them blend with each other. So these maps take quite a while to do.

Lol Barliman, that's a fantastic explanation for what happened! I love it!
  • 4 months later
  • Woah this is so cool!! What an interesting way to use an overland style! I absolutely love it!! :)
  • Thanks Pixelkitteh, Quenten, and robotrock :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I have deja vue! Isn't this the same city that I saw on the Guild a while back?

No - I think its been improved again?

Great work Tony :D
  • Posted By: LoopysueI have deja vue! Isn't this the same city that I saw on the Guild a while back?

No - I think its been improved again?

Great work Tony :D
    It probably is, this post is from February :) I was searching the archive for cities and this really inspired me.
  • Yup, it's the same one. I haven't done anything to it since February.
    Then it is like fine wine, and improves even more with age :)
  • 1 year later
  • edited March 2019
    Necroposting here, but what is the source of the symbols? I know a Schley city style pack is being prepared but I gather it has not been released yet?

Are these all simply lifted from the overland style?
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    Yes, this is just the Schley overland style with some creative placement of the various city/village symbols.
  • It's actually a bit more than that. The walls on the left side of the city are modified schley symbols and do not come in the Schley overland style as wall symbols. I had to drag them in to Gimp and change them up a bit to get them to work like that. Unfortunately I am not allowed to share them with the Profantasy community per the CC3+ End User Licence Agreement, or, EULA.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    You did an excellent job of building the city with the overland symbols and creating/modifying your own walls, they blend in perfectly.
    It was a wonderful job you did :)

And now I catch a glimpse of the strange way my own atypical brain works - the way it regurgitates fuzzily remembered moments and believes it has an original plan. I recently called a town of my own "Corvallen", which seems to indicate that this Corvalin made quite an impression at the time :)
  • edited March 2019
    Thanks Relyt. It really takes a keen eye to get the symbols to work right as not all of them will fit together perfectly. Sometimes they just don't want to co-operate well with each other.

Thanks again Sue. I see you've made some city symbols yourself! Awesome stuff!...lol...its ok about the name of your new city. It's not exactly spelled the same way and even if it were, I don't mind a bit.
    Aw thanks :)

Glad to see you are still around the place now and then :D
  • Hi, Tony, great to hear from you again. Hope you are well, and even thinking about showing us some more of your tremendous maps.
  • edited March 2019
    Thanks Sue and Quenten.

I've been working a lot and had another accident with my computer so I haven't had one since around October or November of last year. I was finally able to afford a new computer last week and have slowly been downloading CC3+ again. Sadly my internet provider only allows me 15 gigs before they throttle it back to almost nothing...so that took me about half a day to go through when trying to download everything again. I'll probably have to go to the public library and use their internet to download the rest but I can't do that until Thursday as my work schedule doesn't allow it. Basically my ability to make maps now is still very limited, but I'm looking forward to when I can make them again.

I see that both of you have been doing great things with your maps and map symbols. They look fantastic!