Community Atlas - Continent J - Forlorn Archipelago

2»

Comments

• I actually prefer the grid on this map. Like Tonnichiwa said, this has an old style D&D feel, and the grid really adds to that. Love it. :)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    Uploading the text file and both versions of the map: with and without the grid in the attached zip file. About 195Kilobytes.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Jim. The first official map of the Atlas, and with a host of interesting locations. Great work.

This also opens up mapping opportunities for those not wanting to take on a continent, now we have four new islands that needs more detailed maps, three cities and a bunch of ruins. I am really excited to see how people will interpret the maps of others when making detailed maps.
  • So am I. And thanks !

I found a small tiny island in the bay near Basher on Fisher Island. I was thinking of making a detail map of it. But if someone else wants to that is fine with me.
  • 'small tiny' ? Yes, its not very big.
    Well, it is first come first serve, and you were first, so if you want to map it, go ahead :)

I've now updated the site with your map, and I've added an infobox to your map with some nav links. This also means that the first version of the atlas is available for download (although there are only two files in there for now, your file, and a placeholder world map)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Clearly drawn and nicely labelled :D
  • 6 days later
    edited February 2017
    Basher Bay. Preliminary locations for light houses, a disreputable island, possible farm land locations, and Basher. Breaker Island, ship wreckers now reformed... if you believe that.

And old forest. Many ruins. a line of defensive castles to keep out whatever is in those woods. A lighthouse on a point on the south of the bay, only supplies come by sea.
  • Wonderful JimP!

I was considering requesting to do one of you cities, but doing one of those defensive castles is kind of appealing too.

Darn it, you have so many areas on your main map that tickles my imagination I'm not sure what I want to do next!

Do you have your heart set on anything in particular that I should avoid asking for?
  • Well, I kinda wanted to do one of the city plans of Basher or Fisher... I think I'll pick Basher. You can have the other one, or the ruins down there in Dead Forest.
  • Don't forget, there could be variations on each map as well. For instance, once I am done with the Bloodlands, somebody may want to do a parchment map version to hand over to player characters. Somebody may do a map of one of the small islands, but somebody else may do another map of the same island in a different style with clues, a path, and a big red X (Treasure Map). There are just so many ways for everyone to express their imagination and artistic skills with the Community Atlas Project. ;-)
  • I may take up your offer on the ruins Jim. I have some work to do on my own campaign at the moment but will be looking for something to map in a week or two.

@Charles - True, there can be variations on maps, but only one map of each local can be linked in the atlas.
    edited February 2017
    Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonDon't forget, there could be variations on each map as well. For instance, once I am done with the Bloodlands, somebody may want to do a parchment map version to hand over to player characters.
    While I won't discourage anyone from doing this if they really want, remember that the goal of the atlas is to map as much of the world as possible, not making multiple maps of the same location in different style. IMHO there are so many different places yet to be mapped, that I'd rather encourage people to use that style to map something new instead (perhaps a local map of an area of that map, or somewhere completely different).

As Shessar says, only one map of each location can be linked in the atlas. (Though it is possible to add links to the right-side "navbar" on each map to "player versions" and such, so we will always be able to include them in some way, just not as part of the "main" navigational path)
    edited March 2017
    Added a bit of detail to Basher Bay area. Fishing villages, a forest that is avoided, the coast area where the dead trees are North of Basher. Especially the trees with ghostly white leaves. [rattling of chains and other ghostly noises] Uploaded a map with the forest labelled. Added in major roads.

Target castle ? Yes, in spite of the guards keeping a watchful eye out, a large target is painted on it each night.

Old Grouchy; a wizard or Sage person. No one is certain.
    Looking nice. Loving these interesting locations of yours. Your maps are always so full of adventure hooks. Looking forward to including it in the atlas when you are done with it, and opening up those locations for others to map. I am excited to see where they will take what your fantasy starts.
  • Thanks. Working on it. I am adding some labels in for some of the towers, keeps, and castles.
  • I'm posting this to show what I have done to complete this. I'll zip it up and whisper it to you Remy.

Forlorn Archipelago, Basher Bay on Fisher Island

Name: JimP

Contact details: Profantasy forums http://crestofastar.drivein-jim.net/

Map Description: A group of islands with good, evil, and indifferent peoples living there. The south shores are battered in winter by pack ice and ice floes. Icebergs also show up. In the past such bergs have brought Ice beings like winter wolves, ice trolls, ice giants, etc. and an occasional ship wreck with no one aboard.

Basher and Fisher, on Fisher Island, are rivals on the nearby fishing grounds.

Fishing villages, Dead Forest that is avoided. Especially the trees with ghostly white leaves. [rattling of chains and other ghostly noises]

Target castle ? Yes, in spite of the guards keeping a watchful eye out, a large target is painted on it each night. Don't look down the outside castle wall at night.

Old Grouchy; a wizard or Sage person. No one is certain.

Almost Home Lighthouse is looked for by the fishing boats as they return to port.

Home Lighthouse shows them they made it. But Beware Breaker Island's lighthouse !

The Green Line is a line of green painted towers and castles keeping what ever is in Dead Forest away. Woe to any castle that removes the green paint ! They will be overwhelmed and all inside lost.

Dragon Rocks ? Does it refer to the rocky teeth of the rocks or actual dragon's teeth ?

The tree symbols represent an area of trees, not an actual tree count.

The map is 44 miles by 45 miles.

Style used is CC3+ Overland, template is Overland Mike Schley.

Bitmap fills and colors used:

water normal bitmap for continental shelf around the island

water lightest bitmap for the bay

color 101 for vari-color cities Basher and The Green Line.

color 15 for the white trees.

Font is Baskerville Old Face

Small sailing ships for fishing vessels, the large ship is a trading ship.

Symbols:

Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Maps\CC3\Vegetation.fsc, Structures.fsc, Mountains.fscm, coast.fsc

Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Maps\Other\Compass Roses.fsc

Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Maps\CC3\Other\Map Scalebar.fsc

The zip will contain both square hex and no grid fcw files.
    Jim's map is now available in the atlas. This is our first detail map, and it should open up even more mapping opportunities, such as local maps from the areas of this maps, city and village maps, and floorplan/dungeon maps to name just the most obvious.