Transferring catalogues

2»

Comments

• Sue, I was looking forward to more trees, a map maker can never have too many trees to choose from, but I wouldn't want you or anyone else here to get in trouble over something like this. Thank you for your work. I fully understand the necessity of not distributing it.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    Ok, so I can't give you my trees, but I can give you other stuff I've done all by myself. These are three rocks from Church Ope Cove, Portland, Dorset, UK. I walked all the way down the 200+ steps to the cove, took the photographs, walked all the way back up again, then spent ages masking them out for use. The first in the collection of three is the one I used in the Arramatapo map... (I think it was that one anyway)

They aren't very interesting, being Portland stone and very grey-white, but you never know... :)
  • Sue: Bit of a shock coming by today to find out what's been happening in the couple of days I've not been able to visit - paraphrasing, can't see the trees for the... Well, can't see the trees at all anymore. :(

At least you can still describe what you've done, how, and using what resources, and as far as I understand it, show a map - even in relative close-up - illustrating what the things look like and how they fit into a wider setting.

Fully concur with JimP's comments above, however. I guess it always pays to read the small print.

Just hope the sea doesn't slap a copyright notice on you for its work in rounding the stones ;)

But (geologist hat on) how can you possibly describe the wonderful Jurassic limestone that is Portland stone as not very interesting!!!
    edited November 2016
    Posted By: WyvernSue: Bit of a shock coming by today to find out what's been happening in the couple of days I've not been able to visit - paraphrasing, can't see the trees for the... Well, can'tseethe trees at all anymore. :(

At least you can still describe what you've done, how, and using what resources, and as far as I understand it, show a map - even in relative close-up - illustrating what the things look like and how they fit into a wider setting.
    I think its ok (now I've read the documentation about a thousand times in slow motion and discussed it right here) for me to use the symbols I make in my own maps, as long as I don't pass them on as separate entities in their own right, or sell either them or the maps that contain them. So I can use them in the maps to go on my author's page as illustrations from the novel, but they will have to be presented as the author's gallery of artworks and very clearly and indelibly marked "not for redistribution or resale" alongside my copyright mark. I won't be able to use them in the map that appears on the cover of the book, but I can handle that by doing the official book map and cover in an overland style like Herwin Weilink - this having been previously confirmed as perfectly ok by a member of the Profantasy Team.

For anyone who wants to be able to get Vue to make their own symbols, and wants to be able to use them in commissioned work, then they would have to purchase the professional versions of Vue (Vue Infinite), and the professional version of Plant Factory (Studio), you can do just exactly as you please, though these two pieces of E-on Software will set you back the equivalent of $1,295.00 + $995.00 respectively - a total of $2,290.00 for the necessary pair of items to do this without any worries about copyright at all (as long as you make all your own plants and don't buy or use anything from Cornucopia at all - Cornucopia being a users club, separate but linked to Vue, where users buy each other's objects).
    Posted By: WyvernFully concur with JimP's comments above, however. I guess it always pays to read the small print.
    Reading the small print? I do try - honest! ROFL! The trouble is that legalese seems to warp my brain somehow. Can't remember if I mentioned this before, but I have Asperger's Syndrome, and part of that is taking everything totally literally. I'm fine of you use straight/normal/spoken English, talk sense, and don't try to tie me up with too many sub-clauses and phrases, or use too many generalisations and statements that have more than one meaning... but making sense of those things... Well... all that happens is that I get one ginormous headache and end up having to ask someone else to interpret it for me - hence the majority of this thread.
    Posted By: WyvernJust hope the sea doesn't slap a copyright notice on you for its work in rounding the stones ;)
    LOL!

But (geologist hat on) how can you possibly describe the wonderful Jurassic limestone that is Portland stone as not very interesting!!!
    Well... they're, kind of round... and... kind of... grey... and...

Lets face it - they aren't exactly the most beautiful stones in the world. They just happen to be mine to give freely without any worries.

Maybe I'm just so used to nearly twisting my ankles every second stride as I walk over the local beaches, which are littered with millions of these things - each about the size of a human foot, and I just take them for granted ;)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    Here is a photo of some rocks I took out at a state park, no idea if they are useful, but have at.

I have a much larger version at 3263x1836 if anyone wants me to put it up on my site so you can get it.

Added the word 'my' to make it cleaer.
    Thanks Jim :)

I don't actually need it myself, but there may be others that do?
  • You're welcome.

No idea when I can get back out there, but if anyone wants some rock photos, I can get more next time I go. Mostly granite out there. So different textures of rocks may not be possible.