Top down mountain symbols

I am looking for top down mountain symbols, rather than the perspective type symbols that nearly all annuals have. So far, only 13th Age has them, but they are not quite what I want, nor are the typical black triangle symbols seen on modern maps. Any pointers here anyone. BTW, I am quite hopeless at creating my own symbols.

Comments

• VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited October 2016
    This answer probably won't help you at all, but I'll throw it out, just in case.

Most of the good maps I've seen use fill styles to create top-down mountain views rather than symbols. That's probably the reason why there are loads of mountain fills and few top-down mountain symbols or perhaps none at all.
  • I really want the symbols to indicate named mountain peaks on my world/regional map. Thanks anyway, I will look into the fill styles again
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    Have you looked at the annual 75 - Myrr Overland? It's not just a texture, and I think you can really see individual peaks with this style...
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited October 2016
    Posted By: qwalkerI really want the symbols to indicate named mountain peaks on my world/regional map. Thanks anyway, I will look into the fill styles again
    If you find no suitable symbols, you still can achieve that with fill styles, shape variation, shading etc. Of course, it is more work than stamping down a symbol.

We make our top down mountains with several polygons atop one another, each with a slightly varying fill style to show varying vegetation as the slope gets higher, and then rather bare rock fills near the top above the treeline, with a final fill variation atop for the peak. One can shade the lower part of each polygon slightly darker, to give the impression of altitude.
  • While I don't use them anymore, I used bitmap fills to make contours. This page links to my page on it. And Natalya's fills which I used to make contours.

color chart and template

Here is a link to her filsl and a map she made with the fills.

Natalya's fills and map
  • I think I'll try Vintyri's suggestion first - it seems to be more what I want, and I can convert them to symbols, I think.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    Mine is close to what he said, I used fills of different colors to show different heights.
    ob.PNG 173.9K
    pd.PNG 157.7K
  • Thanks Jim, I am really helped by all the comments here. I will post my efforts later on.
  • I have drawn a mountain peak symbol I am reasonably happy with ( a few tweaks yet), but when I try to place it on my map, the symbol is some distance from where my cursor is (the red circle represents where the cursor is). Is there a way to fix this?
  • Everyone, I am having trouble with attaching my pics, but I am following the instructions at the top of the forum list. This is the code I have use for my mage from Dropbox. I also cannot do a simple attach file (and it is only a 176kb PNG).
    img src="https://www.dropbox.com/s/orrpc9n9wn8kst7/Mountain Peak Symbol.PNG?dl=1" (I have left the < and > out so you can see the code)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer
    You had an error in the code in your actual post, the ? was replaced by a ", and the " at the end of the url was missing. But do you have a smaller image to point to instead, that one is absolutely huge, at 6000px, and is really bandwidth-wasteful for such a low-detail picture.

Anyway, the reason things don't get placed at the exact location of your cursor is usually that you have Snap on, which causes everything to attach to the nearest snap point (usually based on the grid). Obviously, if a symbol is defined with the wrong origin, you can also get it to appear a long way from the cursor, but in that case, you will see the outline before placing it appear in the same location, and the distance would always be the same, while with snap, since it snaps to the nearest snap point, it will vary.
  • Monsen, thanks for your comments. I actually just copied the link from Dropbox, including the ?, so not sure why it mucked up. But thanks for fixing it. I will take better care with px size in the future.
    The problem with the cursor was solved when I made another symbol, adapting one of the 13th Age symbols. But I will check the snap on situation in the future - it comes on automatically when I use trace command.
    Again, thanks for your help.