Inkarnate tool and maybe a suggestion for future CC3 implements

2»

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Thank you Dogtag. now I can cut up my landmasses to look much more natural. sometimes when you let a fractal line go too long it creates a super straight section that looks way too unnatural so this will certainly help me to get rid of it.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    The Edit option is close enough to the Inkarnate way of drawing coastline for forgetting about it. Thanks again Dogtag for sharing!
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited December 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueHow big is the map overall in map units?

It seems to me like you have tried to squeeze a continent sized map into an island type of space. If the map was larger overall the detail would be sharper and the bevel would look less like a 200 foot cliff all the way around the island.

Merelan City, for example, though nowhere near as detailed in general crinkliness as your map, is 5600 x 5600 map units. If I were to shrink it to 1000 x 1000 the effects I've carefully tuned to the larger size would make it look silly, since they are controlled by numbers of map units. All the many bevels I have used on each of the eight levels in that map would make the smaller map look really bad.
    Humm i think it was 2000 x 1600. Maybe i should have made it bigger...

Indeed, i have to change the bevel level for such a detailed continent on a big map like it will be (this is actually an island continent and not THAT big compared with the map). The real problem might be bevel itself, not good for zooming in and out.

Question. Isn´t any kind of option to keep the bevel size if you zoom? I guess it wouldn´t work once i print it though...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: MedioQuestion. Isn´t any kind of option to keep the bevel size if you zoom?
    All effects can be set in either map units, percentage of map size, or percentage of current view window. The first two are absolute values for any given map, meaning it will keep it's size in relation to other map features, while the latter will keep the display size of the effect as you zoom in and out.
    Posted By: MedioI guess it wouldn´t work once i print it though
    That would depend if you print the entire map, or just a small view from it.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: MedioQuestion. Isn´t any kind of option to keep the bevel size if you zoom?
    All effects can be set in either map units, percentage of map size, or percentage of current view window. The first two are absolute values for any given map, meaning it will keep it's size in relation to other map features, while the latter will keep the display size of the effect as you zoom in and out.
    ... and that is refered to just maps viewed in CC3 or also (for example) in JPEG? Nevermind, that can check it for myself, thanks :D
    It works when exporting maps to images as well, but note that in this case, the view size used for effects size calculation is based on the size of the section of the map that is exported, not the current view.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Indeed. Thanks for the info!
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: MedioI guess it wouldn´t work once i print it though
    That would depend if you print the entire map, or just a small view from it.
    Meh, that is a CC3+ feature, and as i´m doing a 13th age map, i´m using CC3 ... is there any way to do that in CC3?

Let´s hope all the Annuals get improved soon to CC3+, at this rate i won´t ever use my CC3+ :D
    Unfortunately no, this is one of the nice improvements in CC3+.
    To accomplish something remotely similar, you could make multiple sets of effects in CC3 (Remember, you can save your effect setup and quickly switch between saved settings), and manually switching between these based on the area you view/export.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    I guess i will have to live with it. Thanks though.