Isometric modern city scape symbols?

2»

Comments

• KenGKenG Traveler
    Yes you are right top down perspective, my bad.
    I was working on symbols to do a 9 block section but with the arrival of my second daughter, free time for projects dropped. :(
    I started to make symbols but it gets messy when they can only only be used in 2 positions out of the 9 blocks so unless you put in a lot of time on it you are limited so it works out better as a one off.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Not your 'bad'. Just different :)

Have you considered using a 120 degree perspectives grid?

Now that I know isometric perspective isn't just a square grid turned diagonal (LOL!) I fully intend to try drawing a few city bocks in Perspectives. I just can't do anything about it till I have more than about 5 MB to play with in terms of downloading new software, etc.

Maybe between us we can make something of an ISO city collection? Doesn't really matter if we have different styles. That would actually make the city look more realistic, since the buildings in a real city are never all the same style ;)
    edited October 2016
    @ KenG - You know, I've been thinking about what you said about only being able to use each block in 2 positions.

It occurred to me that you could use each of the corner bocks in any of the 4 corners by reflecting and rotating them, and also each of the middle side blocks the same way. So you could say that a set of reasonably variable symbols for your new style would only have to contain about 5 corner blocks, 5 side blocks and 5 centre blocks.

Unfortunately for me maths just gets all screwed up in my head, but I THINK that would mean 5 to the power of 5 possible combinations on a 3x3 grid arrangement, which is 15,625 possible arrangements.

Bearing that in mind, if you were to make just 10 of each type of block (middle, corner, and mid-side), you would have a very handsome set of symbols indeed!
    edited October 2016
    I've just purchased Perspectives, and so I'm now in a better position to generate true ISO building symbols. I was thinking of starting a project to draw a set of modern city buildings, since we seem to be rather short of such symbols in ISO perspective.

I'll start a new thread when I've done a few - just so you can make suggestions or requests (if they are worth developing, of course ;) )

This also has to fit with my other projects - making a new set of trees, boats and tents in top view for Merelan City, finishing the spherical perspective map of Urrowan Palace... writing at least one of five novels... etc (and not necessarily in that order), so it may be a while in coming.

Cities are of course really quite different around the world, so I'll be starting with a typical set of London type blocks (because that's what I'm familiar with), but if that's a success I could easily move on to different styles of city in the longer run.