Another dumb question

2»

Comments

• edited October 2016
    God, this is like pulling teeth for me.

LLAP

Nacon4

EDIT: @Sue, no I'm not blaming anyone for anything. This is just so difficult; and I'm used to things being so easy with CC3+!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I really don't understand why its not working for you. Extremely puzzling!
  • edited October 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueI really don't understand why its not working for you. Extremely puzzling!
    Well, I got the symbol set up; but when I try to access road it says 'no matching tools setup'. This is very frustrating.

What I'm trying to do is load up the symbol sets I was going to use, and then start drawing the walls and I can't because of the no matching tools setup msg.

I'm sure that there's an easy way around this; but I'm totally flummoxed!

LLAP

EDIT: Should I just try to make walls with drawing tools? Because I really like the corridor and polygon tools I used in my second map and I don't want to leave them behind.

Nacon4
    Your totally flummoxed? I think you might be confusing styles with symbol sets and drawing tools, but I can't be certain because you've well and truly confused me and all!

The symbol sets are all the little trees and mountains and things you stick on your map. The drawing tools are drawing tools you use to draw walls and such (which are not symbols btw).

A style is the name given to a collection of symbols, textures, drawing tools and templates (and probably a whole lot of other things I can't remember right now).

WOW. You really have confused me! What is it exactly that you are having trouble with? Is it the trees and mountains, or is it the tool that draws the walls.
    I think you left me way behind some place Ed. I'm sorry. This is just going way over my head now :(
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Drawing tool follows the map style, and as I mentioned before, a map can only have one style at a time. As with the symbol buttons, the drawing tools buttons are tied to the map style. To use drawing tools from a different style in your map, you can click the 'All Map Drawing Tools' button, and change the style from the dropdown at the top of the box, then you can select the drawing tool from here instead of using the button.
    Note that before drawing tools from a different style will work properly, you need to import the fill styles used for that style. The easiest way to do this is generally to use Draw -> Insert file and insert a map of that style into your map (So if you start with a DD3 map, you can insert a SS3 map), and then immediately do Edit -> Undo. This will remove the entities from the inserted file, but will leave the fill style behind.
  • Only one symbol set can be in the symbol set window, to the left side of the mapping area; however, making one map, and saving the set of symbols you used, is a new symbol set. So when you make a city, or dungeon, or nation area, using the same symbol set, just load the new set. No need to browse around for them all over again.
    Hey Ed :)

Did you get this sorted out yet?
  • Sue, I'm still tryin' this map ain't comin' to me as easy as the others. I think that I should be paying more attention to the sheets. If I can attach symbol sets to them, then I think my problems may be over. Is this even possible?

LLAP

Nacon4

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew in this map. The other's were easy; this one is not.
    You can edit symbols to force them to go to specific sheets, but do note that this won't make it easier to load the specific symbols sets, which seems to be what you have been having troubles with, the procedure to load them will still be the same.

It is true that combining two styles is more difficult than using a single one. If you have the tome, I recommend working through the 'Symbols and Symbols Management' and 'Drawing Tools' chapters, as they contain much information that is useful in this situation. (Don't go in expecting a specific tutorial on this however, these chapter are more about general understanding than accomplish very specific things).
    Don't give up, Ed :)

Even if I don't understand, I have every confidence in Remy to be able to help you solve the problem :)
  • I played with the Master Filter settings; when I put this in, all the SS3 symbol set came back. Could someone look at this workaround and tell me I didn't break the software please!

Was this what I was supposed to do?

LLAP

Nacon4
  • I also noticed when I switched symbol sets the symbols on the map went away. They're still on my symbols bar. But nothing on my map.

I get the feeling I'm doing this wrong! :(

LLAP

Nacon4
    If you had already placed them on your map, and they disappears, check your sheets. Once a symbol is placed in the map, its references are handled by the map alone, so it is very difficult to do something that will actually remove them from the map (The ways to remove them are basically delete them individually, delete the sheet they are on, or delete them from inside the symbol manager).
    The most common reason for a symbol to disappear is that it is set up with the wrong sheet, so on the first redraw they end up behind something else. And loading a new set of symbols in the symbol window will trigger a redraw.

As for the filter box, yes. The text here define the master filter, so right now, according to the screenshot, CC3+ will only load symbols of the SS3 Bitmap A style. If you change this to the option below, you'll see that the symbol catalog buttons will load the bitmap B style instead, and if it is set to something completely differetn, the symbol catalog buttons are probably not producing any results at all.