September Challenge - Gymnopus P

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks Jim :)

I'm sure they aren't really any more special that anyone else's. They're just different, that's all, and there are three quite specific differences, two of which were imposed by the rules of the Challenge:

1. I've had to create my own set of fills to stick with the colours in my chosen palette, which apart from the forest and crop fills were all very straight forward plain colour swatches.

2. I couldn't use any of the symbol sets, not even the varicoloured symbols, because of the non-palette colours they would still contain.

The other difference is the 2 point perspective I use instead of standard Dungeon/City top down, or Overland orthogonal perspective. This third choice was more of an accident - an automatic response to a far deeper instinct as a landscape painter of some 35 years. In essence, I clung like a frightened child to what I knew, for fear of losing myself in a style-less, symbol-less void.
  • Awesome job on this. I can't stop staring at it. I may want to print this out it's so pretty. And thank you for showing the members of the CG with that elitist attitude, i dislike so very much, just how incredible this program is. You do ProFantasy proud and remind others out there that PS is not the end all be all. Hmph.... steps off of soapbox and goes back to dealing with map deadlines :)

PS - i will certainly be voting for you!
  • edited September 2016
    Weird...i got some fatal error message, then i tried to re post and it double posted. huh. anyway, love your map! lol
  • Sigh. Okay. I've looked at many works of art over the years. Landscapes escape many people that try them. THat mountain range on te right looks like a mountain range. Some of the landscapes I've seen, it would look like random lines instead.

Your drawings look outstanding. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. You deserve, highly, all the parise you get.
    edited September 2016
    ROFL. I got two notification emails in less than three seconds and rushed back to see what was going on!!!

Thanks Lorelei.

Although I find the very tiny minority of PS users who also happen to be CC3 phobic snobs every bit as annoying as you do, I didn't do this to poke anyone in the eye - or even to make a point. It was more a case of wanting very much to take part in a Challenge that was invented by CG user Neyjour - a PS/DeviantArt Artist (you should see some of her work, its unbelievably gorgeous), who had no prejudices of any kind, and who also seems to have disappeared off the scene. I miss her, and I hope nothing bad has happened to her. In the meantime I felt this would be a fitting tribute... if my worst fears turn out in the end to be true.

You're very inspiring on that soap box of yours ;)
    Posted By: JimPSigh. Okay. I've looked at many works of art over the years. Landscapes escape many people that try them. THat mountain range on te right looks like a mountain range. Some of the landscapes I've seen, it would look like random lines instead.

Your drawings look outstanding. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. You deserve, highly, all the parise you get.
    Thanks Jim ;)

I've 35 years of landscape experience behind me, and a very strange brain that prefers to imagine things in 2 point perspective! LOL.

Ps - I think you posted at the same time as someone else, which may have been what caused the 'comment-jam' that foxed Lorelei ;)
  • I meant praise, not parise... likely a Really Bad Spelling[tm] of Paris was floating somewhere in my cerebral cortex and it sort of leaped out onto my keyboar and in the process of me squashing it... it showed up.
    No matter. My brain picked up the meaning without seeing the spelling mistake (until you pointed it out), so I must be decoding you as fast as you code it ;)
    Whether its panic, or not, I've made a few colour changes to tone down the scenery around the map part of the image (less orange v purple in the rocks).

Not finished yet with the right hand side, but would like to know what you think before I go too far down this road if its the wrong one! Thanks.
  • Another ridiculously beatiful work. Thumbs up!
  • Posted By: LoreleiAnd thank you for showing the members of the CG with that elitist attitude, i dislike so very much, just how incredible this program is
    But let's be fair. This is a small number of people. There also are a few Dundjinni folks there that are anti-CC3+ snobs and even a few CC3+ snobs who are anti everything else. That's simply a part of the whole. But the Cartographers Guild is every bit as full of helpful and appreciating people as this forum is.
  • Posted By: Vintyri
    Posted By: LoreleiAnd thank you for showing the members of the CG with that elitist attitude, i dislike so very much, just how incredible this program is
    But let's be fair. This is a small number of people. There also are a few Dundjinni folks there that are anti-CC3+ snobs and even a few CC3+ snobs who are anti everything else. That's simply a part of the whole. But the Cartographers Guild is every bit as full of helpful and appreciating people as this forum is.
    I was refering to one comment on the guild forum in particular, Mark. I was trying to be nice and not calling out the rude offender. I agree, the guild is a valuable resource and i am pretty sure my comment wasn't directed towards the guild itself, just the attitude of some of its members, which personally has turned me off.
    Like I said before, and repeat for anyone who hasn't really understood what I am doing right here:

This map is my way of honouring a truly great artist, who may or may not still be alive... and I will add; one who as far as I can see has no obvious flaw or dislikeable attribute... who's work, incidentally, makes mine look like a 4 year old's finger painting. You only have to visit Neyjour's DeviantArt page to see what I mean. And this girl... is (or was) my friend - I just don't know what's happened to her, and that's worse for me personally than if someone were to confirm my worst suspicions. There were no obvious signs that anything was wrong. She simply stopped being there, right smack in the middle of a conversation, and there's been no sign of her for the last 2 months.

If I have inadvertently stirred a muddy pool just by drawing a map the way I was inspired by Neyjour to draw it, then I am sorry - to one and all.

'My Bad', as you Americans say ;)
    Posted By: MedioAnother ridiculously beatiful work. Thumbs up!
    Thank you so much, Medio :)
  • Sue, your progress has certainly taken care of my perspective topic. Nicely sorted out. I love your style and attitude.

Keep up the great work, and a nod to your friend.

Bill
    Thank you Bill :)

I had a feeling the fields would sort it out. They are a kind of subliminal grid for the map.

I am sorry if I seem a little distressed. I expect (hope) Neyjour is just having a quiet spell, or has gone abroad on the holiday of a lifetime, or has found true love and forgotten all about us Mappies :)

It just seems a little odd that she wouldn't have joined in, or at least commented on any of the very beautiful entries to the Challenge that she herself designed.
    The latest update - I've worked quite a bit on the tree texture to try and stop it looking like red mush :)
  • Well you get no complaints from me, this is awesome!
    edited September 2016
    Thanks Tonnichiwa :)

I couldn't have afforded to carry on messing with the trees, even if they still don't look quite right. There's a lot of work yet to be done to the bare rock faces. I can't quite work out when the deadline for submission is for me, since Diamond hasn't been terribly specific, and I'm somewhere 5-7 hours out of sync with his time zone, with no way to tell exactly what the difference is.

to be sure of making the deadline I'm setting it for myself as UK midday Friday.

Its currently late afternoon Thursday here and I'm extremely tired, having worked on this every waking hour for the last... however many days I've been going on this so far. I need to sleep now, but I'll be back later.

There's absolutely no way that I'm going to fail to finish this now that I've brought it this far ;)
  • Sue, this is coming out absolutely gorgeous!!! And I'm formally asking for permission to print t it out and frame it once it's done!

And as for the great debate, we all realize you aren't trying to 'stick it's to those few anti-cc3+ idiots out there. You are trying to make a map wothy of Neyjour, and worthy of the challenge. And believe me, you are doing just that!

But what you are also doing, whether trying to or not, is showing g the true versatility of the program... and what the program can do in a true artist's hands. You're showing that the only limits to what this program can do, are based on the limits of the user, not the program itself. You're also showing that this program can stand up against any of the 'professional' programs and can match them point for point. You are defying the stereotype cc3+ has been given. And all without even trying :-D.
  • Sue, I do see your point on the trees in general, my only comment is the rather hard edge bounding the trees.

Mind you this is phenomenal work, leaps and bounds beyond my skill level but I believe you are the type that appreciates others input to refine your craft as a whole.

Long story short, I'm saying I will give you honest feedback and also give you full permission to tell me to stuff it!

Keep up the journey,
    Bill

Also I do like the idea of printing and framing this. I'm thinking on glass like fracture does.
  • Sue, this is absolutely gorgeous. Can you tell me why you picked the color scheme you did?

LLAP

Nacon4
    Posted By: LadieStormSue, this is coming out absolutely gorgeous!!! And I'm formally asking for permission to print t it out and frame it once it's done!

And as for the great debate, we all realize you aren't trying to 'stick it's to those few anti-cc3+ idiots out there. You are trying to make a map wothy of Neyjour, and worthy of the challenge. And believe me, you are doing just that!

But what you are also doing, whether trying to or not, is showing g the true versatility of the program... and what the program can do in a true artist's hands. You're showing that the only limits to what this program can do, are based on the limits of the user, not the program itself. You're also showing that this program can stand up against any of the 'professional' programs and can match them point for point. You are defying the stereotype cc3+ has been given. And all without even trying :-D.
    Hey Storm - thanks :)

I'm glad that you think its worthy of Neyjour. Everything else is purely accidental right now - no offence to anyone, least of all the PF team (who all know I love them too).

I wouldn't advise you to print it. I mean, you can if you want, but its one of those pictures that's better on a screen. The shading is an illusion of lines and dots that take up maybe 10% of the picture, which is otherwise entirely red, and we all know how well even the best of printers deal with things that are red. They come out either horribly garish, or far too grey. There is a significant difference between the way this map looks even on screen - between the beautiful burgundies and pinks I see in my CC3 window, and the decidedly orange reds I get with a JPG, and the PNG interpretation is different again. It wouldn't even look the same if I were to send you a photograph of my CC3 screen. LOL!

The original, believe me, looks as if it is painted in various shades of port and red wine that has been poured over a big pile of clotted cream.
    Posted By: BillSue, I do see your point on the trees in general, my only comment is the rather hard edge bounding the trees.

Mind you this is phenomenal work, leaps and bounds beyond my skill level but I believe you are the type that appreciates others input to refine your craft as a whole.

Long story short, I'm saying I will give you honest feedback and also give you full permission to tell me to stuff it!

Keep up the journey,
    Bill

Also I do like the idea of printing and framing this. I'm thinking on glass like fracture does.
    Thank you Bill :)

I know what you mean about the trees having a hard line. I'm not sure if I will keep it or not, and don't worry about saying what you think - any comment is fine as long as its not been made just to be venomous or spiteful, and you are most definitely not that way out! LOL!

I think I covered my concerns over printing it, but you can likewise try it if you really want to. This map isn't part of the novel set I'm building, and isn't subject to any copyright.
    Posted By: Nacon4Sue, this is absolutely gorgeous. Can you tell me why you picked the color scheme you did?

LLAP

Nacon4
    Thanks Ed :)

The competition rules are set out by Community Leader, Diamond, right here:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=35368&p=312954&viewfull=1#post312954

I picked the scheme from the attached collection, created by Neyjour - who built it from palettes taken of her photographs of fungi growing in her several acres of woodland 'back yard' (and which she turned into a gorgeous set of mapping symbols available on her DeviantArt page).

I chose "Gymnopus Perforans" in preference to those which were even more restricted. In retrospect I think I would have been better off choosing "British Soldiers", which at least has a decent complimentary pair of colours - red and blue-green.

But it is now far too late to change my mind! LOL
  • Sue, I'm going to expose the fraud: This picture is clearly not a map, but a photo that you took during your last holidays on the planet Venus!

I would never have expected this set of colours to turn out into a map that feels unearthly, but yet at the same time totally plausible. I'm eagerly waiting for the final version!
    Ah! Ummmm... *glances left and right to check the interplanetary passport isn't visible*

Well... you and me both, Gathar :P

Thanks!

I think Neyjour made the very clever realisation that a palette based on the colours from a single living entity would just 'work' that way. I'm seriously considering limiting my palette in a similar fashion whenever I go 'off piste' in the future. It simply looks better. If you look at some of the set CC3 styles - I mean, really look at them in terms of the range of colours used to create them, then you will find that they are almost as limited in range as those shown above in Neyjour's palette of palettes. There's a lot to be said for the harmony that a limited palette offers.

I hope you've had time to have a look at some of the other entries. Mine is by no means the most unusual, and it certainly isn't the most beautiful ;)

This is where I'm at right now. In the interest of not ruining what I have by being too clever for myself, this is probably also very nearly finished now. Its never a good idea to start making massive changes with only about 18 hrs to go.

I just need to sort out the rather messy highlight hachures on the first few slopes I did on the right hand side.

Double-sized image is here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=35579&page=5&p=315572&viewfull=1#post315572
    Haha! I've just realised!

The little town of Jondii has apparently vanished into thin air!

Anyone see any other glaring blunders?
    This is the last WIP, but you won't find it on the CG Challenge page. Something happened last night over there during a 3 year update to the server, and I can't upload the final image.

Still... I took part, and that's all I really wanted to do.

For Neyjour...
    The problem with uploading at the Guild has been worked around by Redrobes and ChickPea (Admin and Community Leader), and the bigger image is now here if you want to see it in full detail:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=35579&page=6&p=315640&viewfull=1#post315640
    A last minute modification and a frame, but this really is the very last WIP. This map is now complete.

The frame makes the detail of the map seem even tinier, but if you want to see the largest resolution yet its here:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=35579&page=7&p=315722&viewfull=1#post315722
  • This is wonderful! I really enjoyed seeing the map progress as you went.

Thanks for sharing this Sue.