Whiskey1

Comments

• But New Orleans is an inland city. I've been in other places, even small towns, where the streets followed the local stream or river.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Can I interrupt and ask a really out of place question?

Are you going to fill in the blocks that have a fringe of houses but a large area of green at the centre? (They would have some of the largest and most luxurious city gardens in any world if not)
  • I do that to, place houses along roads and not elsewhere. I'm not sure where I picked up the habit, but I'm trying to stop doing that.
  • edited September 2016
    @Sue, that is a really good question; and the answer is. I don't know. That would add to the visual appeal to the map (if I even knew how to do it, which I don't), so that would be a good thing. I don't have any real art training, I'm just doing this because I can. Any suggestions as to how to do it?

@JimP, Well bringing the roads to the house is really great; and I have seen a lot of that living in Rhode Island. But there are several reasons to put them next to roads (if you want to, please ask and I will tell you). So as it is a fairly new city, there would have been that same idealism thought of in fifties/sixties in America where neighborhoods were built exactly like other neighborhoods.

I've been thinking of adding a couple of bars, what's your thinking on that?

Thanks for the comments!

LLAP

Nacon4

Edit: @JimP, The water treatment/sewage plant (lower right side) recycles water from the town; *and*, pulls it from the aquifer deep underneath the city about a mile down. Between these the townspeople have plenty of potable water
    Posted By: Nacon4@Sue, that is a really good question; and the answer is. I don't know. That would add to the visual appeal to the map (if I even knew how to do it, which I don't), so that would be a good thing. I don't have any real art training, I'm just doing this because I can. Any suggestions as to how to do it?
    Sorry Ed. I'm not really with you on that. What is it you want to achieve? Do you want to fill those empty spaces with houses, or gardens?
  • Posted By: Loopysue
    Posted By: Nacon4@Sue, that is a really good question; and the answer is. I don't know. That would add to the visual appeal to the map (if I even knew how to do it, which I don't), so that would be a good thing. I don't have any real art training, I'm just doing this because I can. Any suggestions as to how to do it?
    Sorry Ed. I'm not really with you on that. What is it you want to achieve? Do you want to fill those empty spaces with houses, or gardens?
    Whups, sorry Sue! Yeah all those blocks are going to be filled with houses. There need to be enough housing for the Hospital, the Hospital administration bldg, The Power Plant, the Water Treatment plant, the grocery/hardware store. The Mercenary's (The local police) building. Just a few of the things I'm thinking of.

I thought you were thinking of space between the houses.

Again, sorry, that was my fault! :)

LLAP

Nacon4
    Ah! Still confused. Do you... need me to do anything?
  • Hmm, would it be possible to make gardens on the inside of four-cornered houses. Gardens inside where right now there's nothing but grass. These would be communal gardens. I'll show you. The area inside the red line (please forgive my rather palsied scrawl-that's why I need a computer program to do this sort of stuff). I think a garden would do very well there, yes?

LLAP

Nacon4
  • edited September 2016
    @Sue, I guess what I'm asking is that is there a way to do foilage in CC3+ with only CD3 and DD3? Or will I have to get more symbols? I'm a bit confused, as you see.

@Everyone, You see, I am listening to your suggestions!

LLAP

Nacon4

Edit: Hum! The only vegetation I found in CD3 was hedges and trees. I assume that there are lot more symbols in the Tome?
    edited September 2016
    There may be quite a few bush/tree/hedge symbols that might be useful in this folder:

Symbols\Cities\CD3\Bitmap B\Default

Other than that I can't say if there are more in either of the symbol sets (SS2, SS4) because I don't have them. Neither do I have any of the annuals.

The many and various CSUAC/Dundjinni/Bogie sets available from the links in the sticky threads at the top of the PF index page are all free, but they may be a little too photorealistic for this particular map, which is more symbolic than that.

Give the Bitmap B set a try. You might find it goes really quite well with the style of your existing symbols - you also don't really need flowers and such for the scale of your city ;)

EDIT: I don't have the Tome, but I have always been under the impression that its much more of a definitive 'How To' bible, than a source of mapping objects. I could be wrong, I suppose?
  • Thank you. I did, indeed, find a lot of symbols! And I put them into practice. Version 6 follows

LLAP

Nacon4
  • No, the Tome does not have symbol sets. It's a guide to learning the programs wonderful complexities. I would suggest giving Sue's idea a try :)
  • Well I've got the basic components of the map in place. I know it must look like a garish nightmare; but I tried to show a futuristic city (with modern elements). What I need now is to know how to fill in the parking areas of the houses and that road under the factory. I thought about mixing elements from the DD3 or the Overland maps which I where I figured the trees where.

This is version 7 of the map.

Any suggestions (and yes I'm getting the Tome next month) would be deeply appreciated!

LLAP

Nacon4
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    An interesting mix of symbols and genres. It's like watching JimP Jr. take his first steps.*

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag

* Yes, for any [other] new forum members reading this, that's a compliment.
    Where are the bushes and trees, Ed?
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueWhere are the bushes and trees, Ed?
    I figured that I need the Tome to tell me how to load the Tree sets 'cause every time I try I just get frustrated. I can't even find them now. It's me, not the program. I was trying to wing this and I think I should be more organized.

BTW- I found hedges but it looked pretty bad around the houses. So I removed them, especially as you couldn't even see them unless you magnified the hell out of the map.

LLAP

Nacon4
  • Posted By: DogtagAn interesting mix of symbols and genres. It's like watching JimP Jr. take his first steps.*

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag

*Yes, for any [other] new forum members reading this, that's a compliment.
    Thank you for the compliment. It's deeply appreciated! :)

LLAP

Nacon4
    You are having a bad time!

Opening symbol catalogues:

If its not attached to a button on your interface, click the folder symbol above the symbols palette and locate the correct set of symbols by browsing through the Symbols folder until you find it, then double clicking the appropriate .FSC file (which will have the same name as the folder you just found the right symbols in)

Symbol size:

When you have the symbol selected and stuck on your cross hairs you can alter its scale either by right clicking and increasing the number in the top box of the dialogue that appears.... or.... forget the right click but hold down the CTRL key and move the mouse away from you until you can see the symbol at the right size.

Hope that helps.
  • Posted By: LoopysueYouarehaving a bad time!

Opening symbol catalogues:

If its not attached to a button on your interface, click the folder symbol above the symbols palette and locate the correct set of symbols by browsing through the Symbols folder until you find it, then double clicking the appropriate .FSC file (which will have the same name as the folder you just found the right symbols in)

Symbol size:

When you have the symbol selected and stuck on your cross hairs you can alter its scale either by right clicking and increasing the number in the top box of the dialogue that appears.... or.... forget the right click but hold down the CTRL key and move the mouse away from you until you can see the symbol at the right size.

Hope that helps.
    That does indeed. Now I've a place I can start from! Thank you!!

LLAP

Nacon4
  • Oh, BTW- I just bought the Tome so I'm gonna be doing a LOT of reading in the near future! Lol :)

LLAP

Nacon4
    Well then - we expect to see even more impressive cities in the near future :)
  • Yeah, until I started doing the tutorials... my maps were uhm... not worth looking at. Really.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: JimPYeah, until I started doing the tutorials... my maps were uhm... not worth looking at.
    Same could (and should) be said about mine, it was the Tome that got me into using CC2 Pro properly.
  • edited October 2016
    Ok, after my first visit to the Tome. I re-did my map of Whiskey1 and added some vegetation. I suppose that I ought to explain what the map is about. So first I'll load a screenshot of it (I suspect it would be too big to put here, so I'll keep things small.

I'll try to keep things brief.

LLAP

Nacon4

Edit: I wanted to give all the details; but I'm just too tired. Just to state there is a method to all my madness. I just have to do a preliminary write-up of the module.

I'll give it a go tomorrow.

'Nite all!
    edited October 2016
    Its looking more natural with the trees in it :)

Just a suggestion (and nothing more) but there's nothing wrong with having a few of them overlapping... or growing right next to and partly covering the corner of a house, for example. People put trees in the strangest of places, and not always at the bottom of the garden! LOL

A few shadows might help to discern the fact that the trees are taller than the shrubs. For that matter a few shadows on the buildings might not go amiss?
  • Is there any way I could do that globally, as opposed to doing one shadow at a time (which I'm not sure I know how to do)?

LLAP

Nacon4
    Ah, well from that I gather that you haven't tried any Sheet effects just yet?

When you open the 'Drawing Sheets and Effects' dialogue make sure that the sheet on which you have your trees placed is picked (highlighted blue and ticked), then click the 'Add' button on the right hand side and browse the list of effects down to 'Wall Shadow, Directional'. Click that and you get a small dialogue box that allows you to play around with the parameters. I would strongly recommend clicking map units straight away. The correct length, blur and opacity of your shadows will depend largely on the size of your map, and personal taste.

Then click ok, and ok, and see what you get.

(if nothing happens then you have the sheet effects turned off, which is the tick box at the top of the Drawing Sheets and Effects dialogue box.)
  • @Sue, thank you! That was painless and really made the whole thing pop!

LLAP

Nacon4