Ancient Chinese City Maps?

Hello,

I'm in need of a way to create old Chinese city maps such as these:

Any ideas or suggestions? Maybe I need to create a new style? That may be beyond my ability.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    That will walk you through making your own style. Another place to look would be the 2016 Cartographer's Annual (Vol. 10), February Issue, Empire of the Sun. Although it's more of an overland style, it does have some symbols and a font that might work nicely.

Something else to consider, the 2007 Annual that you pointed to does not work with CC3+ yet (it will eventually), and the 2010 annual that I pointed to only works with CC3+ (and not with CC3).

I hope that helps, at least a little.
    ~Dogtag
  • I've got both CC3 and CC3+ and I have the Empire of the Sun. Thanks for reminding me about that. There are some nice symbols in there but not enough of them.

Thank you for the tips about the versions. I thought all the Annuals were made compatible with CC3+ already. Good to know.

It dawns on me that I could sketch my own symbols and scan them. Drawing Block boxes too of several different sizes. Then simply assemble in PowerPoint with a snap-to-grid. Instead of drawing streets, I'd be placing blocks, walls, and important buildings. I think that may work swimmingly well.
  • The Robert Van Gulick Chinese maps type of Chinese maps are going to have to require you to create a new style.

They have some tutorial videos on doing that which you can watch.

https://www.youtube.com/user/joesweeney88/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=1&view=0

The ones to watch are the old school mapping ones.

You ought to be able to take some of the Van Gulick art and be able to extract some symbols from it with a paint/photo editor program and find appropriate symbols on the web or in clip art books. The several of the Dover ones with CDs are must haves I've found for Japanese & Chinese maps.

Your idea of drawing the symbols and using sanp to grid would work too and be easier.

I've got a book at home that shows an actually Tang city map and that would be very difficult to do that way.

One other options for Chinese cities that I can think of and used many years ago in the past

Get a copy of the city builder game Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom and take a screen shot of a city you make in it. Or use copies of the images buildings, etc. from it to make a new style or use in your maps.
  • >>Get a copy of the city builder game Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom and take a screen shot of a city you make in it. Or use copies of the images buildings, etc. from it to make a new style or use in your maps.

Hah! I love it!

Great idea on the Dover CDs too.
  • As I mentioned in another posting, I hope to have Vol. 2 of the Dundjinni Archives for CC3+ released in October ... but no firm promises yet. This collection will contain a number of oriental symbols.
  • Posted By: VintyriAs I mentioned in another posting, I hope to have Vol. 2 of the Dundjinni Archives for CC3+ released in October ... but no firm promises yet. This collection will contain a number of oriental symbols.
    Cool! Can't wait!
  • Just remembered this other stuff.

Asian themed map symbols came up a few times in the past and I recommend you check out this thread as it included link to various Asian map objects

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2545&page=1#Item_21

The Qin map objects I mentioned in that thread (my 2nd reply in it) in that thread that Devin Night made are now sold on his site.

See also this thread for some symbols I did which include a Chinese ship.

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4741&page=1#Item_2

One big problem with Asian map objects is that with a Top down view you usually can't tell what the object is supposed to be I discovered when trying to make additional map objects using various 3D models, etc.

The Emperor program I mentioned only ought to cost $5. I bought a copy in the bargain bin of a local store a few years back, so if you are seing it priced for more it is overpriced. I think it it is on Steam or GOG now.

You can get images of the buildings, etc. from it at this fan site for it that you could turn into symbols, etc. at

http://emperor.heavengames.com/

(Note: Be sure and check the sub threads for the various types of structures, etc. as they have several types of common housing, etc.)

If you do get a copy send me a PM if you need a list of bug fixes to do, patch & bonus campaign stuff for it.

One thing that the game does have in it that you can incorporate into your own city design is that the Feng Shui of buildings is a factor in where they are located. (You try an place buildings to get good Feng Shui, which can result in you often doing additional construction, etc. to get this.)
  • @Jay_NOLA

Thanks! I have the other Asian symbols. I'm trying to recreate the map style above. I have the game mentioned but, again, I'm aiming for the look in the pics above. Playing with power point and a few sketches has lead me to believe that that is the best/fastest/easiest route.

I think you all for your help.